• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

kerala mangakari

trillium

We have a some fresh mango pickle that we brought back with us from Chicago. When we were in Chicago we ate it with the rest of the haul from Malabar Catering: avyial, long bean thoran, beef curry, fish in banana leaves, palappam and a besan/yogurt soupy stuff I would love to be reminded what it is called.

We had to pass up the kerala style dal and the mutton curry since there were only four of us! Sigh. Oh, for Malayalam food in little old Portland, OR.

So now I'm wondering what I should make to eat with the pickle that survived the trek home. I assume I've only got a few more days with it, since it's the fresh crunchy kind. Suggestions?

thanks,

trillium

typical suggestion:

yogurt and rice! favorite food of most south indians.....

if you want a fuller meal, then make a simple

kari or thoran or dal to go with it....

another use: dip for adais or dosais (along with the sambars etc.)

it won't stand alone as the only dip here...

hth

milagai

Do you mean curd rice, or just plain rice along with yogurt?  That's sort of what I was thinking too, because I wanted to keep it simple.  I just wondered if there are any classics with this sort of pickle.

regards,

trillium

>>> I agree with Milagai. We usually ate it with curd rice or as an accompaniment to dosai. A particularly innovative way to eat it was the way my Dad used to.. he'd add a nice tablespoon full of mangakari to some homemade chivda to give it some added kick!! With a glass of beer on the side, I must admit it tasted mighty good!

OTOH, the best thing to do with it might be to share it with some people in Seattle, WA who're craving Malayalam food too :raz:

-w@w

Can you get here by tonight? Hee hee. We have no chivda, but we did buy an assortment of savories at Kamdar plaza.

Curd rice it is, then. Luckily we have fantastic full-fat yogurt we buy straight from the dairy that makes it.

regards,

trillium

Episure: you've got the best food pix!

and to me, yogurt and rice is same thing as curd rice;

whether "the full monty" with the tarka et al

or just rice + 2 scoops of dannon plain all mushed

up together and eaten on the fly...

Milagai

I made a medium fancy curd rice, no cucumber or carrot, but chopped chillies and cilantro and a tarka. You're right, it was delicious with the pickle. So delicious I just might make it again, since we still have a lot of pickle left! The combination of the curd rice, the oily, tart pickle and the papads was great.

regards,

trillium

eaten with fingers or spoon/fork?

:biggrin:

see how much more delicious indian food is

when eaten 'as nature intended'?

:biggrin:

milagai

Um, with fingers and papads (the little ones from Madras). But before I get to much cred, the papads were microwaved. We haven't mastered doing them on the gas burner and I didn't feel like frying.

regards,

trillium