• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Long Beach dining-alone

sgschef

Papadakis taverna for greek food in San Pedro was a favorite of mine when I was down that way. It's been at least 10 years though.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

papadakis would be quiet a hike. but there is a nice greek place called george's that's right up pine ave. there's also a good "mediterranean" place i can't remember the name of. you might try 555 for steaks or king's fish house for fish (order the plainest stuff and make a special request that they not overcook it). most of the rest is chain stuff. not too far, though, there's a roscoe's chicken and waffles. and there's a semi-soul food place called uncle al's that does great fish poor boys that's not far. sundays and mondays are tough nights to find a restaurant, and i'm not sure what is open. if all else fails, one of those hotels has a daily grill in it.

Russ's suggestion for Uncle Al's is spot on -- also, there is the red tram that runs down to Belmont shore where I would definitely go just to wander. My favorites in that neighborhood are Open Sesame and Babette's.

sgschef, here are some addresses, phone nos. and website links to the various restaurants in Long Beach:

Daily Grill; One World Trade Center; Long Beach, CA 90831; Phone: 562-753-2170

Uncle Al's; 400 East First Street; Long Beach, CA 90802; Phone: 562-436-2553

Papadakis Taverna; 301 West 6th Street; San Pedro, CA 90731; Phone: 310-548-1186

The Sky Room; 40 S. Locust Avenue; Long Beach, CA 90802; Phone: 562-983-2703

King's Fish House; 100 W. Broadway Ave.; Long Beach, CA 90802; Phone: 562-432-7463

555 East; 555 East Ocean Blvd.; Long Beach, CA 90802; Phone: 562-437-0626

Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles; 730 E. Broadway; Long Beach, CA 90802; Phone: 562-437-8355

Open Sesame; 5215 East 2nd Street; Long Beach, CA 90803; Phone: 562-621-1698

Babette's Feast; 4621 E 2nd Street; Long Beach, CA 90803; Phone: 562-987-4536

Shenandoah Cafe; 4722 E. 2nd Street; Long Beach, CA 90803; Phone: 562-434-3469

Few of my thoughts:

All of the Daily Grills are pretty good and predictable. I haven't eaten at the one in LB.

King's Fish House has good seafood. I like to sit outdoors, if it's not raining.

I've eaten at some of the other Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles, but not the one in LB. Trust me, chicken & waffles, it works! I usually go for "Scoe's #1" The one in Hollywood has all the action.

It's been a while since I've eaten there, but Shenandoah Cafe has a menu that comes right out of the ladies' auxiliary cookbook. Southern cookin' with a California decor & flavor. They know how to do chicken fried steak.

Enjoy your time this weekend!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

If you need a lunch or breakfast, stop by Omelet Inn (please tell me it's still there??!!). I think it's on the south side of Broadway, just west of Pine. That used to be one of my favorite lunch spots when I worked downtown.

Sky Room is a beautiful room with a beautiful view--even the bathroom! We used to go just for coffee and dessert after Symphony concerts. I'm not sure about dinner alone there; it's more of a romantic destination with couples dancing the night away.

Pine Street was such a revolving door for restaurants, I'm not sure what's still there. We always liked Blue Cafe (for usually great music & decent food), Mums had great patio dining, and the Greek place on Pine was new, but much enjoyed. Of course, I haven't been in California for four years, so there's probably a whole new slew of downtown restaurants by now.

Julie Layne

"...a good little eater."

Shenandoah Cafe; 4722 E. 2nd Street; Long Beach, CA 90803; Phone: 562-434-3469

It's been a while since I've eaten there, but Shenandoah Cafe has a menu that comes right out of the ladies' auxiliary cookbook. Southern cookin' with a California decor & flavor. They know how to do chicken fried steak.

Enjoy your time this weekend!

I haven't eaten in Long Beach for 20 years - but this was one of my places to go. I can't believe it is still there. It was kind of weird back then as far as decor and service - I wonder what I would think of it and the food now?

shenendoah has moved on to another location in a mall somewhere. i have to say that i never quite "got" that restaurant. in its place now is a pretty surprising restaurant that might or might not find its audience. it's called Biggs and it seems modeled on some of those hipster hollywood joints. except that nancy silverton consulted on the menu. i've only been once and i have to admit some trepidation--belmont shore is not known as a culinary treasure chest. but i was very pleasantly surprised. it's kind of a "small plates" concept, but this being long beach it was more like "medium plates." i remember a polenta with wild mushrooms that was quite good, as was boiled shrimp with aioli, grilled broccolini that was terrific. there was a pork stew that was ok, but didn't really sparkle. it's a touch pricey but not outrageous--4 dishes and a bottle of the house wine (weird thing, you order a glass, they bring you the bottle and you can drink as much as you want for $10) with a pretty good tip was about $80. not the kind of place you drop in on a weekly basis, but that was two weeks ago and i might be going back tonight.

ps: and yes, the omelet inn is still there.

Edited by russ parsons (log)