• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftovers

jsolomon

What do you do with your emptied wine bottles? Recycling is certainly an option, but many of them are really quite nicely tinted glass. I'm currently considering setting a bunch of them neck-side down in some cement and using them to create a raised flower/herb bed.

What do you do?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Best use I ever saw was in a cafe on Ipanema Beach in Rio de Janeiro where the large physical space was divided by walls made entirely of such bottles.

As for me personally.......considering that I taste 35 - 50 wines daily, all I do is give thanks to the gods that the garbage trucks come once daily!

We recycle. But we're thinking of saving the pretty ones and displaying them on a shelf in a window above our front door.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Stick a candle in 'em and relive the hippie days? :rolleyes:

The bottle-lined garden beds look nice but you don't want to hit them with your lawn-mower. And edging them can be difficult.

I've saved a few blue (Not the best of wines..but the color is cool!) bottles to display my shasta daisies in but that's about it.

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Well the Ronco glass cutter can turn any ordinary wine bottle into a beautiful water glass or vase... :wink:

Really though, I went on a wine tour in Kelowna Canada and saw a beautiful and creative way to use wine bottles.

They cut the tops off just as the neck of the bottle completes its taper to the base. They then converted these bottle tops into lamp shades and also one large chandelier. This bouqet of blue wine bottle tops was breathtaking. I vowed to recreate this masterpiece when I had some spare time... That's about 18 years when our son has moved into his own digs..

We went on several tours, but I'm sure I can dig up the name of the winery if your interested.

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb