• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

flavored butters

amccomb

I normally make a few flavored butters to serve with cornmeal scones, popovers, and sweet potato biscuits at Thanksgiving. In the past, I've done maple, cranberry, mixed herb, just sage...

I'm thinking of trying a few different flavors this year. Any ideas?

Ginger would be great with the baked goods...maybe grind up some crystalized or candied ginger....or 5 spice powder... hmm ginger does sound good :cool:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I like to make up a batch of garlic, ginger, soy sauce butter that goes really well with grilled fish and chicken. Sometimes I'll throw in some chopped cilantro, too.

My family likes cinnamon honey butter for fresh out of the oven breads/buttermilk-baking powder biscuits and pancakes/waffles.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

One time I whipped up some butter with Sriracha sauce to put on some grilled chicken and fish. No one could figure out what this delicious, complex concoction was. I don't remember if I ever 'fessed up. :biggrin:

Oh yes . . . butter with candied ginger and orange zest on English muffins. Or just about anything for that matter. A little five spice doesn't hurt, either. I think that is one of my favorite sweet concoctions.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

One time I whipped up some butter with Sriracha sauce to put on some grilled chicken and fish. No one could figure out what this delicious, complex concoction was. I don't remember if I ever 'fessed up. :biggrin:

Oooh, that sounds really good. I'm gonna try that tonight! Thanks, Linda!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Mushroom Duxelles butter. Which is obscene because to make Duxelles you have to saute minced mushrooms IN butter. I like the spreadable mushroom butter concept in any case.

Truffle butter is the obvious, but that might blow your thanksgiving budget.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Mushroom Duxelles butter. Which is obscene because to make Duxelles you have to saute minced mushrooms IN butter.

. . . . .

Why do I have this vision of some lusty young thing spreading this on a thick slice of crusty warm bread and feeding it to me as I balance that glass of burgundy in my hand?

Woo Hoo! I ain't dead, yet! :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Check out this list of Composed Butters

lots of ideas here.

I like Asiago cheese with sage and carmelized onion beaten into sweet butter - the cheese is salty enough.

I mix butter half and half with cream cheese and add Thai sweet chile sauce to taste.

This is good with anything but it is absolutely fantastic on hot gingerbread!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Orange&Poppy

Brie&pecan(with raspberries/cranberries?)

Honey Soy

Blueberry Hoisin

Roasted Garlic/Roasted Pepper/Brown Sugar(white pepper to taste?)

Cilantro Lime

Chanterelle&white truffle

rosemary

sundried or roasted roma tomato & fresh mozzarella

(good with basil aswell)

Balsamic (reduced preferably), can go with a million things, a lot already posted^^^^

Caramelized onion (depending on onion type, can have various additions)

In pastry forum we were discussing asian pears and ginger, good selection for an asian based dish.

blue cheese

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea