• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greenwich, CT area recommendations

scarlet knight

Le Figaro is good, especially for brunch. A little lower on the scale (food-wise, price-wise, formality) than Jean-Louis, but still good. It's located at the bottom of Greenwich Avenue, just above the Railroad Avenue intersection (on the right as you go toward the water).

Also good is Applausi, on Sound Beach Avenue in Old Greenwich (about 10 minutes' drive from the Avenue - except during rush hour). It's Italian, and, as I recall (I grew up in O.G. but haven't eaten there in a few years), very good.

ETA: Here's a link to a 2004 review of Le Figaro, a link to Jean-Louis' website, and a link to Applausi's website.

Have a good trip!

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I've been doing a bit of searching, and thought you might find this link re: Indian food helpful. It mentions a restaurant in Darien, about 15-20 minutes north (well, east, really, but on 95-N) of Greenwich on I-95...

Great Indian Food in CT?

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

We're going to be in the Greenwich area for a couple of days.  Any restaurant recommendations?  We like French, but more on the bistro side than super high end. Also like interesting ethnicities, such as Indian or Thai.  Seafood is good, also.  Thank you in advance!

Right next to Jean-Louis on Lewis Street is Penang, one of the best Pan-Asian places anywhere in the Tri-State, inculding Manhattan, IMHO. The place is quite spiffy, brick walls and wood tables, and apparently local codes don't allow them to seat more than 40 patrons at one time, even though they have room to seat a lot more. The place is super-immaculate and efficient. The dishes are fresh and creative. On the SouthEast Asia section of the menu are the best preparations. YOu order by the sauce and the meat of fish you want, and then they decide on the appropriate vegetables to add. Served in mini-woks. A real treat if you are in the Greenwich area and enjoy Asian.

Penang

55 Lewis Street

Edited by menton1 (log)

Sorry, Menton1, we didn't get your post until we returned. Next time!

On Friday night, we went to Valbella!! in Riverside. The food was great, service was great, we had a great wine at a fair price for a restaurant (miss NJ's BYOs). I had a veal chop with shiitakes. It was a little austere and it could have used a brandy sauce. My wife had a veal dish stuffed with Serrano ham that was just bursting with flavor. That was one of the best entrees we've tasted in quite some time. My wife like the warmth of the nearby roaring fireplace. Great atmosphere. I thought that it was quite expensive, even by NYC standards, but I can't complain, because it was so enjoyable.

For a change of pace, we went to Thali in the former bank in New Canaan. The food was flavorful and we ordered mild dishes and they were mild but fully flavored with Indian spices. We had Chicken Korma, a smoky eggplant dish, rice and naan. We liked it, but if any of you CT people are in northern NJ, we like Saffron in East Hanover better.

Thanks for the help, everyone.