• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

prosciutto

ned

I've hunted all over the gullet and not been able to find much information on how to make prosciutto. There must be at least some folks out there who have tried doing this.

Questions:

To brine or to lay in salt?

For how long?

What are the most common seasonings, if any?

Hang for how long?

At what temp?

What humidity?

How much do time temp and humidity matter considering that the process used to and must still happen in cellars which are cool but not so stable what with rain and drought and seasonal changes?

What about air circulation

What else is there to worry about?

Do you rub it with salt periodically?

How do you know when it's done?

Should it be wrapped?

Does it matter how big the ham is?

I expect the new Ruhlman book--come on Amazon, get that sucker to me--will put a lot of these questions to bed but that's only one, er, a few men's opinions.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Thanks for the links.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Speaking of which, I bought some prosciutto (supermarket) that's way too salty, more so than this brand usually is. Any way to tame it?

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo