• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flute; Bubbles

cabrales

I'd appreciate members' input on the NY champagne bars Flute (please specify branch visited) and Bubbles. For example, how diverse were the selections available by the glass? Were there snacks or other non-beverage items available for purchase? :blink:

hmmm, i think i was at flute on 21st, or where ever it is that would put it next to GT. i recall at least 10 sparklers by the glass. it was a dark and hip atmosopher, and didn't appear very big, unless i missed part of it somehow. sorry i can't offer much more than that.

The Flute bars. I was a regular at the 54th Street branch, just off Broadway, from shortly after it opened. It's fairly secluded, down some steep stairs into what used to be a speakeasy. The service was superb, and the manager, Rudy Santos, became one of my favorite hosts in New York. As the bar became more popular, they introduced djs and live music, which I found a little oppressive in the fairly small space. I continued to go, as Rudy was willing to reserve seats for regulars, but after Rudy left (initially going to Petrossian, I believe), I drifted away. Then I moved out of the area.

I started using the 21st Street branch, which was more convenient. It is a much larger space, and more impersonal, but perfectly located if you are going on to any of the Gramercy/Flat Iron restaurants. There is music, but it's less intrusive. I dropped in at the 54th Street branch earlier this year, and Rudy was back - I don't know if he's still there - having altered some of his other plans in the wake of September 11.

As Tomkmy said, about ten champagnes by the glass. I recommend the "R" de Ruinart Brut, and the Pol Roger NV. There are usually at least a couple of Vintage champagnes available, which gives you an opportunity to sample without spending several hundred dollars. Hors d'oeuvres available - spring rolls, sushi, and so on. There used to be chocolate samplings.

Cabrales: when you say Bubbles, are you referring to Bubble Lounges? In a nutshell, the Bubble Lounge in Tribeca is more like the 21st St Flute than the 54th St Flute. I think the champagne lists, by the glass at least, are comparable.

tommy & Wilfrid -- Could you discuss what you mean by the all-black crowd? [Pondering over own wardrobe]  :blink:

self-important clueless twits who go there because it's a "scene." generally these types of people are not pleasurable to be around, unless you're one of those people, in which case you'd probably think it's the best group of people on the planet. i, however, feel that egullet is the best group of people on the planet, and i'd much rather spend my time in a bar surrounded by the likes of you rather than the likes of them. :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

I had drinks at Flute on 54th recently. The bar is in a basement with an entrance from the street, within steps of Broadway and reasonably close to Times Square. The facility is very dark; the seating arrangements comfortable. I sampled the "Magic Flute" -- three small 2.5 oz glasses: Paul Georg Blanc de Blancs, Laurent-Perrier Brut and Piper-Heidsieck Rose ($16 total; no choice available in sampler). The Piper-Heidsieck Rose was stark. There were some small snacks, which I did not sample. I also resisted La Maison du Chocolat's individual chocolates ($2.50 each) available at the facility. The per glass selection of champagne included Gosset Grand Reserve ($20), "R" de Ruinart (14) and Taittinger 1996. The selection was not as strong as I, for some reason, had subjectively imagined. :wink:

i just went to the bubble lounge in tribeca last night, without really knowing what i was getting into. the champagne pours by the glass were pretty impressive--especially for someone who just craves a glass of damn fine champagne in the middle of the night--but the service, again, leaves too much to be desired.

before i knew they had what they had, i asked for hendrick's gin, and the waiter said they didn't have it (he seemed clueless there). ...... so i order something else, and then about an hour later, upon hearing the release of a few champagne corks, i feel like having a glass of bubbly (no they didn't pay me to say that), so i just happen to ask for a "wine list????"

i was floored, and couldn't decide between a gosset brut rose ($18), a billecart salmon brut ($13; rose not available, unfortunately), Bollinger NV Brut ($13), Tattinger (?????? but $18)..........and about 12 other pours i just wasn't expecting to pour over......(the list also claims they DO have hendrick's gin......i was so disappointed.) ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING the music sucked....george michael, old 80s i can't remember....

but what a suprise for something i didn't even know i was getting into.

funny i ran into this thread.

but, again, the music sucks, and yes, the service is slightly ill-informed. what can you say about the people in tribeca on thurs-sat. i wasn't suprised.

• 4 years later...

Oh boy. A friend of mine from out-of-town is taking a bunch of us here tonight to celebrate our birthdays. Does anyone know if they serve real food here, or should I get a slice before entering?

Edit -- by "here," I mean the Flute bar in Gramercy.

Edited by Pumpkin Lover (log)