• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Appliances

Carrot Top

On the counter: Automatic espresso machine and gorgeous DeLonghi two-slice brushed aluminum toaster.

Food processor, microwave/convection, Vita-Mix, food sealer, toaster oven, old KA mixer, yogurt maker, etc. are all in a walk-in pantry, with outlets to plug in, so nothing has to be moved into the kitchen.

This is a topic that my wife and I differ on. She would like having nothing on the counter except items of art or decoration. I on the other hand want items that I use regularly out and ready for use. Soooo.......

We currently have

KA stand mixer

Drip coffee maker

burr grinder

espresso machine

Mazzer Mini espresso grinder

food processor

toaster oven

I refuse to reply on the grounds that it may tend to incriminate me!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

In our first kitchen, we had to choose between convenience and clutter: appliances could either fill up the limited counter space, or they had to be taken out and put away.

It's possible to undercabinet mount some appliances, but I don't favor that arrangement, first because I prefer to have undercabinet task lighting everywhere, second because I don't like to work with an appliance in my face so that counter space is useless to me anyway, and third because you have limited choices of appliances when you undercabinet mount (like, you go from being able to choose between a million toasters to having only a handful of choices). I don't like built-ins either, because they're difficult to replace once you've committed to an exact size for a microwave or something. I also don't like microwaves mounted above the range -- I want a real hood.

So, in our second kitchen (that's the one we're in now), I knew the kitchen was too narrow to put counters on both sides of the galley, but there was enough space to run a half-depth countertop (using wall cabinets as the base cabinets) along part of one wall. That countertop, while not intended to be a work surface, is great for small appliances. There's a depth limitation bit it's not terribly burdensome. So, on that cabinet we keep the coffee roaster, burr grinder and drip coffee maker; the Cuisinart, the toaster oven; and the microwave. The only appliance that I wish we could keep out but that's just too big for the space is the KitchenAid mixer, and as a result we surely use the KitchenAid mixer far less than we would otherwise. Probably the only appliance we use pretty often but keep in a drawer is the immersion blender. At some point I'd like to mount it on a wall bracket so it can stay plugged in and available.

If we ever move and have the opportunity to create a third kitchen, I plan to use Metro shelving or the equivalent to create a space for all our small appliances so they can all be out and available. It should be possible to position the appliances between waist and eye level on two or three shelves, at appropriate heights for their uses. And, to be sure, I'll add a few appliances to the collection when we do that.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We're still in the same rental. We've managed to knock our counter appliances down (Kiddle has killed a few in the past year!). So, now, we have j:ust 3 major items

microwave

water cleaning jug

tall black glass hand painted vase(Yes, yes, Sotheby's. I KNOW)

Still, have no illusions! The counters are cluttered:

medications- 7

cookbooks-14

paper junk- a googleplex

artworks-2

spoon rest-1

bowl for towels and oven mitts-1

olive oil in an easy pour jug-1

Now, don't look at the top of the refrigerator and we'll all be fine!

edited: Oh, yeah, the platter of apples-1

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I'm puzzled to read of kitchens that are "too small" to have stuff on counters...I think of mine as "too small" to have stuff in the cupboards :biggrin: .

Cupboards hold dry goods, seasonings, cookware.

On the sink counter: two

Breadmaker and yogurt warmer

On the hip-high drawer unit that holds cutlery, bento stuff, tupperware etc: 3 plus

This is a sight to behold

Bottom layer: microwave/oven and rice cooker. The microwave door is a major prep space.Second layer: a toaster and two large crockery pots for utensils. Third layer (on toaster): kettle full of barley tea and often a small saucepan.

So far, three high seems to be the limit!

On the table: one

Insulated hot-water kettle. I fear for the safety of the neighborhood if I ever replace it with an automatic coffee-maker.

Hidden treasures: two

On top of the high china cabinet in a box is my Braun multimix, behind the pasta supply. I'm amazed how fast I can get that thing set up!

BIG electric griddle/grill/octopus-snack frypan stored under dining table. A real bear to set up or put away, but used frequently.

Homeless wanderer: recently purchased pressure cooker...

What happened to Black & Decker's SpaceSaver toaster ovens? We had one that died an untimely death, and now have no toaster at all because we couldn't buy a direct replacement and I don't have counter or cabinet space to spare.

Anyway, on my counters I have a coffee maker, microwave and miniature food processor (really just an electric chopper). Of these, only the latter takes up what otherwise might be work space; the coffee maker and micro are on the opposite end of the room from my regular workspace on a microwave cart. Not the most convenient for filling the coffeepot but an acceptable compromise.

In drawers and cabinets I have an electric knife, an coffee grinder, an air popper, a KitchenAid mixer (I'd love to have room to keep this out all the time), a rechargeable battery-powered cheese grater, a Crock Pot and a blender.

What happened to Black & Decker's SpaceSaver toaster ovens? We had one that died an untimely death, and now have no toaster at all because we couldn't buy a direct replacement and I don't have counter or cabinet space to spare...

Here 'Ya go! That's just what I found in a quick search of ebaY.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Appliances - I assume this means devices requiring electricity, so I won't count the human powered ones.

Countertop Residents

Microwave

Mini processor

Coffee pot (4cup)

Food Processor

Ice Tea Machine

Stand Mixer

Electric grill

Blender

vacuum sealer

toaster

toaster oven

brisker

canopener

yogurt maker

Electric Wok (it is supposed to be in the cupboard but I haven't gotten around to it)

Electric Tea Kettle

Cupboard and drawer residents

immersion blenders (2, 1 has mixer and chopper attachments)

hand held mixer

Antique stand mixer

pizelle iron

flat bread maker

pasta extruder

waffle irons (regular and belgian)

deep fryer

food dehydrator

slow cookers (2 1qt and 2 5qt, 1 5qt converts to a griddle/warming tray)

citrus juicer

bread machine

frothers(2)

Coffee Pot (12 cup)

Ice Cream Maker

Coffee grinder

Juice extractor

electronic scales

I am sure I've forgotten something, stuff gets lost in my cupboards. Is it time for an intervention?

Edited by Kayakado (log)

What happened to Black & Decker's SpaceSaver toaster ovens? We had one that died an untimely death, and now have no toaster at all because we couldn't buy a direct replacement and I don't have counter or cabinet space to spare...

Here 'Ya go! That's just what I found in a quick search of ebaY.

Thanks. Unfortunately, as we determined that Black & Decker seems to no longer make these items, we removed and discarded the metal heat shield/mounting bracket, which was sold separately. We would need that as well to be able to hang one of these again.

I'm a little leery of doing so, though, until I can determine what became of these things. Did they just not sell, or were they discontinued for safety reasons?

IIRC, there weren't safety issues, more of the financial bottom line for B&D - weren't they bought out by another company? That led to the decline in number of products being offered, as well as the continued "quest for excellence" that many companies seem to undergo, when they get rid of the old model for the new, and the new just doesn't cut it with customers, old or new

I have one of those spacesavers that I brought along when I sold my house last year - the metal frame is quietly waiting in the garage for my next permanent kitchen.

Edited by memesuze (log)

There was a safety recall and CPSC fine in the late 1990s involving the under-cabinet Black & Decker toaster ovens. I don't believe it involved every model, but I wouldn't be surprised if after that Black & Decker lost interest in that product line.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)