• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Appliances

Carrot Top

On the counter a 28 year old K/A stand mixer.

A Microwave.

A cheap Expresso Machine

A toaster oven

and a seventy year old Toastmaster toaster purchased from a push cart on the Lower East Side by my Grandmother that is built like a tank and still makes the best toast.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

On my countertops: (too much)

K/A stand mixer (not used enough but too heavy to life in and out of cupboards)

K/A food processor "

toaster oven

microwave

drip coffeemaker

moka pot

coffee grinder

breadmaker

in cupboards and shelves:

spice grinder

rice cooker

Crock Pot

2 ice cream makers (1 is a gift)

3 blenders (can you say "wedding gifts")

mini food processor

Foreman grill (aka my panini maker)

4 cup drip coffee maker

Krups Moka brew

immersion blender

waffle maker (somewhere!)

pizzelle maker (another gift)

I think that's everything. :)

-Kelly

edited to add the breadmaker...

Edited by kellycolorado (log)

I can't cook in a cluttered kitchen, so I try to get as much out of the way as possible. The only thing I have on the counter is a microwave.

Thankfully I have got lots of cupboards(and yet I've run out of space), where all the following reside:

1) Breadmaker

2) 2 Ice cream makers

3) Yogurt maker

4) Deep fat fryer

5) Toaster

6) Kettle

7) Food Processor

8) Blender

9) Mixer

10) Sumeet, a heavy-duty grinder for some of my Indian cooking

11) Ultra Pride Plus, a stone grinder, again for Indian cooking

12) Sandwich toaster

13) Slow cooker

14) Mini food chopper

15) Juicer

16)Electronic weighing scales

The only appliance I haven't used in a long while is the deep-fat fryer, only because cleaning it is such a PITA. I'd much rather deep-fry in my karhai.

Listen, I'm poorer than a nonfat macaroni and cheese recipe. I've got a small but useable kitchen. Very little cabinet space. So, what's where?

On the countertop:9

microwave(makes tea, heats leftovers and defrosts things, often!)

Nelson Homescan(Yep, I'm a Nelson family!)

cooking utensils in a tomato can

blender(we use it almost every day, fruit shakes, ice/tea combos, bean purees)

coffee maker(for guests and coffee milk for kiddle)

mortar & pestle(used every day)

huge antique black glass hand painted vase(yes, I SHOULD send it to Sotheby's already, I know.)

platter of fruit

platter of vegetables

In the cabinets:6

ibrik(used almost every day)

hot air popcorn maker (pulled out at least 3x a week)

mini blender(used every week for grating cheese, etc.)

coffee grinder(used every day)

toaster(used once a week, maybe)

juicer(used every couple of weeks)

I am renting, so all I could really do to the kitchen was paint it(a deep pine green) and line the shelves. I dream of renovating it, though. I'd completely demolish the wall between the dining room and the kitchen and rework the entire space, floor to ceiling waxed pine cabinets, matte grey marble counters, a smaller European refrigerator, a larger freezer, new gas range and oven with the microwave atop it, better dishwasher, HUGE steel double sink under the window with a new, thicker ledge for plants, a butcher's block topped floating island, with barstools, cork flooring and an appliance garage! 30k would give me the ULTIMATE in a useful tiny kitchen, but I could get by on 9k too. Easily. Heck, I redid my kitchen at Five Palms for 7k, and that place was huge!

edited because I changed my mind about the butcher's block! 'm SO off topic this week! Yipes!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Cuisinart toaster, Sunbeam two cup coffeepot, Kitchen aid Mixer, Panasonic Bread machine, and a Cuisinart food processor are currently residing on my kitchen countertop. They all get used weekly, some daily.

Dawn aka shrek

Let the eating begin!

I have quite a lot of counter space but I don't keep much out, either.

Out all the time:

bread machine - only because it's beautiful

10 cup coffee maker

toaster oven

microwave

knife block

Taken out when needed:

KA stand mixer - heavy bugger

KA professional food processor

KA blender

waffle iron

immersion blender

crock pot

rice cooker

electric can opener

mandoline

tortilla press

coffee grinders (2) for spices

mezzaluna and board - bought for fun, works well for herbs but I rarely use it because I'm usually chopping other things and it's not worth the extra cleanup.

electric skillet - rarely used.

popcorn popper

George Foreman grill

Nelson is my misspelling of Nielson, because we sometimes say that in order not to be using the name in an unacceptable way.

N*elson ( http://www2.acnielsen.com/site/index.shtml ) is a large firm that follows people's shopping, tv watching, or news reading habits and then uses the accumulated information for marketing purposes and to inform film and television businesses, retailers and manufacturers. You know, the good old fashioned marketing research bit! You can probably attribute the sudden surge of availability of decent Balsamic vinegar at Foodtown to me, since I buy enough of it to drown a family of four almost every month. :rolleyes: I find it odd that I was recruited and then kept, because our family viewing and purchasing habits are actually very different than average folks', but hey, if it gets decent ketchup more popular, I say yay! If you're so inclined, go to the website and look for homescan.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

On my counter:

KitchenAid Mixer (used a couple times a week)

Espresso Machine (used dailly)

Coffe Grinder (used daily)

Coffee Maker (used every few weeks)

Microwave (used infrequently, but I haven't come up with a way to keep it out of the way)

Deep Fryer (used every couple weeks - it fills the otherwise uselessly funny shaped space between the microwave and the edge of the counter)

Food Processor (used every couple weeks)

in the cabinets:

rice maker (can live on the counter for days at a time)

toaster (almost feels obligatory to have one)

ice cream maker

blender

waffle iron

stick blender

fondue pot

in the garage:

panini press

juicer

electric skillet

bread maker

flatbread maker

My ex-wife left me in the early 90’s, taking with her things .. ‘not attached‘. :cool:

Coffee make, used daily, $80.

Bread maker, never used (that I know of), $300.

KitchenAid mixer, used once a week for pizza dough, $300.

Orange juice press, used once when we were lovebirds, $60.

From the oven, one heavy pizza stone ( haha no one listed this one yet), $45.

One toaster, she, only used, $Fifth third bank.

Leaving me with my built-in GE SpacemakeII microwave oven and a nice, clean counter top.

Priceless. :wub::raz:

in the garage:

panini press

juicer

electric skillet

bread maker

flatbread maker

Maybe we should start a NEW thread similar to the one where members list the titles of cookbooks they wish to give away or trade.

This would be especially useful for newly-wed members who can't return all the extra waffle irons or newly merged households, anchoresses who take monastic vows...

I am not sure if eGullet would allow the trade or donation of kitchen appliances and/or gadgets, though, since cookbooks are, in general, not as potentially dangerous as devices that plug into electrical outlets. Perhaps, if a waiver of liability were signed?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I see I'm definitely a minor-leaguer in the small kitchen appliance department. I'd like to observe that larger microwaves (0.9 cu. ft. and up) don't really qualify as "small" kitchen appliances, as they take up a lot of counter space.

Our microwave does just that--there's no convenient outlet near the one place in my kitchen where I can put my rickety microwave cart. As a result, the cart now houses cookbooks, phone books and mail. Our Sharp Carousel microwave sits on the counter, along with:

--A 2-slice Sunbeam toaster I won as a bingo prize (used every day)

--a 4-quart Hamilton Beach Crock Watcher slow cooker (used about twice a month)

--Two knife blocks (I use the smaller knives in one block, which came along with the roommate, almost every day; the carving knife I use about once a month, and the chef's knives never--my Wusthof is in a protector sleeve in the silverware drawer)

--A Braun electric coffee grinder (used every day)

--A Sunbeam 10-cup drip coffeemaker (used every day)

Splitting its days between the cabinet and the range top (so its fumes go into the hood) is:

--A DeLonghi Alfredo countertop grill (used once or twice a week)

Spending most of their time in the cabinets and drawers are:

--A 15-inch-diameter Farberware electric skillet (used when I feel like making fried chicken, about once every other month)

--A Braun immersion blender with chopper attachment and whipping disk (the blender is used about four or five times a year as a blender and about once or twice a month as a chopper; I've never used the whipping disk)

-- A Black and Decker hand mixer (used two or three times a month, especially when I make whipped potatoes)

The appliance I'd most like to add to the collection is:

--A food processor

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

On my counter: Krups coffee maker (used every day), Panasonic microwave on its own shelf above the stove, white KA stand mixer in the corner under the cupboards, knife block, cool patterned metal container with bamboo cooking spoons, whisks etc., terracotta garlic keeper.

My toaster, coffee grinder, immersion blender, small hand mixer and other things are kept in the cupboards, and larger stuff like the food processor, slow cooker, waffle iron and such are kept on the shelves in my basement storage room.

I don't like a cluttered countertop, and there's not a lot of room anyway. But inside the cupboards, that's a different story. They are crammed with all kinds of kitchen paraphernalia.

I don't mind the rat race, but I'd like more cheese.

1. Braun coffee maker

2. Henkel's knife block (inherited from parents)

3. Sharp microwave

4. Crock to hold spoons, spatulas, tongs, etc.

5. Ronco rotisserie on a rolling steel cart by the window

I used to have a toaster, a 13" TV, a bread machine, a toaster oven and a coffee grinder out there too. Now the toaster is in a cabinet, the TV is gone, the bread machine and toaster oven are in the basement and the coffee grinder is in another cabinet, along with my food processor, blender, juicer, and who knows what else. The Crockpot is on my "pantry" shelf and comes out two or three times a month.

I finally figured out that it's more efficient to make "toast" on a baking sheet in the oven than 2 slices at a time in the toaster (now where did I put those toaster bag thingies???)

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

So tell me--how often do you use your Ronco "Showtime" rotisserie? How well does it perform? As advertised? Better? Worse? Can you really "Just Set It..And Forget It!"?

Ron Popeil has a way of working himself into your cerebral cortex. I like roast chicken and have been toying with the idea of actually getting one of these.

I finally figured out that it's more efficient to make "toast" on a baking sheet in the oven than 2 slices at a time in the toaster (now where did I put those toaster bag thingies???)

You need a bag to make toast in an oven?

As for your observation: If you're making a large quantity, absolutely. For one or two slices, or even three or four, well...

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

On my kitchen (or, as I like to call it, closet) counters: just a microwave (aka fancy butter melter) and a toaster oven. My food processor is in a cabinet above my work space. My coffee pot, coffee grinder, knife sharpener, blender and stick blender live on the shelf behind the door to the basement. Those are my only appliances--I am appliance deprived!

So tell me--how often do you use your Ronco "Showtime" rotisserie? How well does it perform? As advertised? Better? Worse? Can you really "Just Set It..And Forget It!"?

Ron Popeil has a way of working himself into your cerebral cortex. I like roast chicken and have been toying with the idea of actually getting one of these.

You need a bag to make toast in an oven?

As for your observation: If you're making a large quantity, absolutely. For one or two slices, or even three or four, well...

I don't use the Set It and Forget It as much as I used to...but I do love it - it makes a great chicken, turkey breast and fantastic pork loin. I've had it for about 5 years, I think. I probably only use it about once or twice a month now, but you know how when you get a new toy and you play with it until you're sick of it? The one thing about it that bugs is after it's been on awhile it starts to make this whining noise that will drive you crazy - you have to stop the machine and put oil on the gears. Other than that, I highly recommend it.

A couple of years ago the Perlows turned us on to these toaster bag things, that you can make grilled cheese in your toaster with. There's a whole thread somewhere.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

On the counter itself:

Cuisinart coffee maker - used daily

Krups espresso machine - used sporadically at best

Kichen Aid stand mixer (epicurean) - used weekly

Krups coffee grinder - used daily

Kitchen Aid grinder - (used for spices) used regularly

Kenmore Toaster - used on the weekends and occasionally by wifey in a.m.

Kichen Aid blender - waiting for vita mix due to be delivered today to replace it.

We had a shelf built for the micro wave when we remodeled, does that count? If so Viking convection-microwave unit.

In the closet outside the kitchen is the Cuisinart Food processor, the Van - n - seal, the Waring Juice blender, the popcorn air popper, the (sheepishly hiding) set it and forget it Ronco oven, and the Krups deep Frier.

I'm only online now waiting for the vita mix to get here before running errands. Damned UPS!

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

kitchen counter real estate. very precious. currently, I have about 5 or 6 small electrics in the kitchen but I'll list some other stuff, too.

on the counter:

kitchenaid 5 qt

kitchenaid blender

dualit 4-slice toaster

porsche 1.5L kettle (essential!) :wub:

salt pig

perfex pepper

mortar & pestle

henckels knives (professional-s) in block

boos chinese butcher block

mesh glass soda siphon

glass trifle bowl

cheese plate

elsewhere:

atlas pasta maker (non-electric)

wafflemaker (name starts with a v?)

KA food processor (don't really use this much)

chantal fondue set (mom gift - never used)

burton portable burner (just in case)

probably forgetting lots of other somethings...

If I had the room, I would add a rice cooker, ice cream maker & a bread machine.

I'm also thinking about getting a hand held mixer but don't know if I'd really use it that much...

If I could only keep one electric item, I would keep my kettle! It gets the absolute most use out of everything. The KA would be a very close 2nd.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

:shock: Oh my cluttered counters! I like my tools easy to hand.

Appliances, not so much. A food processor & mini processor, blender, KA mixer & pasta rollers, a microwave, a mandoline, and some mortar and pestles (small, med, lg), a stick blender, and a couple ready to hand cutting boards.They live where I can use them instantly. Some of these live on a lazy susan in an otherwise almost useless corner. My few hidden appliances are an ice cream machine, coffee and spice mills, meat grinder & sausage stuffer (KA), and a wine rabbit. No toaster, no coffee maker, no popcorn maker, etc. If I can do it as easily with something like an ordinary pot I give it no room in my kitchen. Knives hang on the wall.

If I had more appliances on my counters where would I put the cannisters that hold wooden spoons, spiders, forks, spatulas, etc? :huh: the salt cellar, the pepper grinders, sugar jar, cinnamon shaker, :huh: the fruit bowl? the onion bowl? the jars of nuts? :wink: the decorative porcelain cannisters that hold I forget what? :shock: Where would I have the oils, vinegars, soys, etc. that I use for everyday fare? Or the jars of rice and pasta? :unsure::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::unsure:

Now just don't ask what's in the drawers and cupboards. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

The KitchenAid Stand Mixer has its place of honour. Used weekly, on average.

The Gaggia Classic, my shrine. Used daily at least.

The George Foreman (small version)...I use it when I remember it.

The toaster...not a lot, lately, I'm off toast for some reason.

Immersion blender, food processor are used so seldom as to not rate counter space. Microwave, used intermittently at best, is slung above the stovetop, so takes no space.

Aside to Pontormo, I have a fridge magnet of Michelangelo's David also, so I always have a naked Italian in my kitchen :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies