• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Appliances

Carrot Top

I just bought a new coffeemaker.

This seems to happen at least once a year.

In between coffeemakers, there are other lovely electrical small kitchen appliance thingies that seem to demand that I buy them.

Sometimes they get used, sometimes not.

What a clutter on the countertops, though! I long for the open spaces of the free-range kitchen counter and sometimes even clear it off, moving these things into cupboards where they then creep out at night to perch again on the countertops.

How many small kitchen appliances sit on your countertops?

How many have been jailed up in the cupboards?

Of all these small kitchen appliances (yes, please do count the immersion blenders and coffee-milk-frothers and so on!) how many do you actually *use* often?

I've got seven on the countertops. Only seven at the moment. :biggrin:

I hate to think of what is in the cupboards. It will take all my nerve to count the total. :sad:

What are your stats? :smile:

Edited to add: Oops. Eight on the counters. Forgot to count the microwave. It seems such a natural, organic Part of Things. :wink:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

I don't like clutter and planned around this when we remodeled. We had a shelf built for the microwave, another open shelf was perfect for the Cuisinart and all the small appliances fit into a particular easy-tor-each cabinet. Only the Kitchenaid is on the counter, and it could go away but gets to stay out because it's pretty.

I have two and a half. The microwave that gets used daily, the KitchenAid stand mixer that gets used at least once a week, and sometimes my Braun stick blender that gets used almost daily. The stick blender is supposed to live in the cabinet under the counter but my other half sneaks it out for smoothies and tends to leave it there. :wink:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Argh!!!! Eight!!!!! In a small, U-shaped kitchen.

- My single-cup coffeemaker, used every day.

- The microwave oven, probably ditto.

- The toaster (four slots), used often.

And in one corner...

- The Cuisinart food processor, used only occasionally but unless I leave it out, I tend to forget about it and not use it at all.

- A cheap-o electric sandwich griller, used occasionally to make grilled cheese sandwiches. It came with a bunch of recipes, but I've never gone beyond the cheese +.

- My new waffle iron, bought at a garage sale. Used every Sunday for brunch ever since. This and the sandwich grill stand on end, so they don't take up much space.

- A small George Forman grill that I'd never have bought myself, but find amazingly convenient. Used about once a week.

And in the other corner...

- My electric wok, used just a few times a year (and never for stir-frying!), typically for entertaining at the table with paella or fondue. The corner is "wasted space" anyway, and there's no place else large enough to store the wok in the kitchen.

Edited by SuzySushi (log)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

On the countertop:

- Blender (gets used about once a month)

- toaster (used almost daily)

- food processor (about once a month)

- espresso machine (I can't remember the last time I used it, needs cleaning something awful)

- 4 cup coffee machine (used daily, and then some)

Really. That's it. At least for appliances. There is a lot of other crap on the countertops, but it's not electric. The microwave is not on the countertop, but built in above the stove.

In the cupboards:

- Chefmate electric knife sharpener (used somewhat)

- hand mixer (used weekly)

- waffle iron (rarely used, but there's no substitute when making waffles)

- immersion blender

(This came with a very small "food processor" attachment which I use far more often than

I use it as an immersion blender. The processor is sized to make 1 slice of bread into

breadcrumbs darned near perfectly. The immersion blender never makes things as

smooth as I want - I almost always use the real blender.)

- 12 cup coffee maker (only used when we have guests)

- Electric cookie press (only used at Christmas for making butter cookies)

- Ice cream maker (used rarely)

- electric citrus juicer (used only once during the Christmas citrus disaster of 2003)

There's probably some more somewhere, but I've been on a serious cleaning kick, where things that don't get used get donated. We got rid of things like the useless vegetable steamer, the water purifier, and other junk we never used.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Seven or eight out on the counter? Wow, must be nice!. I live in a NYC apartment so clearly that's not happening for me, although I actually do have decent counter space. But everything is relative.

I have a coffee maker and toaster out on the counter. Microwave is built in over the stove.

The one thing that I really should keep out, but for some reason don't, is the mini-Cuisinart. I get a lot of use out of that. The rest of the toys (blender, stick blender, food processor, etc.) are all tucked away.

On the counter, no appliances. Microwave got a new house under the cooktop in the island about 5 years ago, best move I ever made. It's cute though, people always ask...Don't you have a microwave???.... Most of us, it seems, grew up with it on the counter and went to college with it on the dresser. It's been in our face for so long, we forgot it was an appliance. I have a love hate relationship with the toaster. It's suppossed to live under the counter, but since the kids have grown to love bagels for breakfast it's on the counter for an hour or so every morning. Then it goes home. It is not the appliances that gets me, it's the crap....keys, papers, mail, magazines, med's, passes, tickets, receipts, baskets, breads, crackers....on and on and on....who the hell has room for appliances?

edit: for being stupid

edit: again

ok, do I have to write this on word to have spell check???

write, check and copy and paste...ok, I get it.

Edited by highchef (log)

counter: coffee maker, electric kettle, toaster oven, food processor (which sits behind the tv, which I use for background noise every time I cook.. so does it count?)(phone and answering machine - though not used in food production, they are electronics, and they are on the kitchen counter).

microwave is built in over the stove.

I don't own a stand mixer (at least not at home).

In the drawers: immersion blender, mini food processor, hand mixer. Cupboards: rice cooker, slow cooker, one of those George Forman Grills that gets used about twice a year for grilled cheese sandwiches.

Now... my work counters are a different story..

In the kitchen

microwave

convection/microwave combination(Sharp)

convection oven(Cadco)

induction hot plate

DLX Electrolux mixer

Vita-Mix blender

toaster (Dualit)

toaster oven (old GE automatic)

Teamate

Senseo coffee machine

electric tea kettle

panini grill

deep fryer

Cuisinarts (3 - 11 cup,14 cup, 20 cup)

plus a "Mini-Prep"

Rice cooker

Bread machine

Froth Au Lait

juicer

Nutrimill grain mill

Hamilton Beach malt machine - 3 head

electric Dutch oven 8 qt

Cuisinart slow cooker 6 qt

immersion blender

electric jar opener

3 spice/coffee grinders

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

In the kitchen

microwave

convection/microwave combination(Sharp)

convection oven(Cadco)

induction hot plate

DLX Electrolux mixer

Vita-Mix blender

toaster (Dualit)

toaster oven (old GE automatic)

Teamate

Senseo coffee machine

electric tea kettle

panini grill

deep fryer

Cuisinarts (3 - 11 cup,14 cup, 20 cup)

plus a "Mini-Prep"

Rice cooker

Bread machine

Froth Au Lait

juicer

Nutrimill grain mill

Hamilton Beach malt machine - 3 head

electric Dutch oven 8 qt

Cuisinart slow cooker 6 qt

immersion blender

electric jar opener

3 spice/coffee grinders

What? No picture of this incredible array? :huh: Looking forward to actual photos of your kitchen, Andie! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

What? No picture of this incredible array?  :huh:  Looking forward to actual photos of your kitchen, Andie! :biggrin:

There are several photos in my album (public) but ImageGullet doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I can see the group on each page but can't open individual pictures.

I think someone else complained about this a couple of days ago.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

All we have out are the Kitchenaid mixer and the Vitamix blender on the counter (they're too tall to fit in the cupboard) and the microwave on top of the refrigerator. The rice cooker, food processor, immersion blender, Sumeet grinder thing, and tea kettle are in a cupboard, and everything else (waffle iron, crock pot, deep fryer, things we don't use much) is in the basement. We have hardly any cupboards and not much counter space.

On the counters: Coffee maker and convection/toaster oven - used daily.

K/A Processor, K/A Mixer - used three or more times each week.

K/A Blender - used occasionally but too tall to fit anywhere else and too heavy to move frequently.

FoodSaver - used 2 or more times each week.

All other small appliances are stashed in cupboards or drawers either upstairs or in the basement.

I would love to have clear counters but it's not an option in this tiny kitchen with so very little storage space.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Permanently on the countertops: Cuisinart toaster-oven, Cuis food processor, Krups electric can opener, Krups blender, Braun coffee maker---all used multiple times each week. Tucked away but also used at least weekly: KA mixer, Braun immersion blender, non-electric mandoline. Hanging on walls/range hood and used daily: knives (magnetic bars), whisks, measuring spoons, spiders, ladles, strainers.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

On my countertops electrical and non:

toaster, electric can opener, breadbox, coffee maker, knife block, upright paper towel holder. A lazy suzan that hold my napkin holder, salt and pepper mills and butter dish. Although that's really more in the middle of the breakfast bar area.

On a corner counter are my canisters.

On the back counter (which I suppose should be the desk area) cookbook stand, scale, phone, marble rolling pin, magazine stand to hold my fine cooking, cook's illustrated and bon appetite magazines and various pages of recipes I've torn out of other magazines.

Everything else is put away.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Since countertop space in my apartment is virtually nil, there are no applinces on them. My only work space is my small island. Most of the appliances are kept on open Metro shelving units. There's a wall-hanging thingy for my pots and pans.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

On the counter are coffee maker, Kitchenaid, toaster, Cuisinart, can opener, tea kettle, blender, (which would be in a cupboard if I could find a place for it.) and the mini-chopper that I forgot to put away. Above the sink in it's own rack is the stick blender.

Waffle iron, griddle, crockpots, spice grinder, and rice cooker live in the cupboards. Microwave/convection oven has it's own cart and the toaster oven sits on a tiny counter between fridge and freezer.

Also on the counters are knife block, paper towel holder, and a Lazy Susan with cooking utensils.

Small counter, so the only appliance there is my Cuisinart. Rest taken up by dish rack, paper towel holder, bread box, spice rack, cooking utensils, misc. stuff.

We have wire shelves that hold the rest of the appliances and other cooking stuff.

Used daily/weekly:

microwave, toaster oven, rice cooker (2)

Used sometimes:

stand mixer, immersion blender, George Foreman grill (got when I opened a bank account), coffee grinder, juicer, ice cream maker

In the basement, yet to be unpacked:

waffle iron, crock pot, blender, mandoline (that thing scares me).

In the cupboard but use frequently:

scale.

Can't wait to remodel my kitchen, which will unfortunately, not be for awhile.

Edited because I forgot some stuff.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Let's see, lined up in a row that is interrupted by a ceramic Gevalia coffee canister (remember those offers in Gourmet circa 1988?), a paper-towel holder and bookended by cutting boards are the following:

A toaster oven

A coffee grinder

A Marcel Duchamp chocolate grinder

A sous vide

A juicer for root vegetables

A juicer for fruits

A dehydrator for making jerky and fruit leather

An electric potato peeler

A miniature guillotine for decapitating chickens; also works for removing feet

A marshmallow roaster

A food processor, first, purchased only three years ago since grinding soaked but otherwise uncooked chickpeas was too much of an ordeal in:

The blender, ca. 1979.

That would be twelve. Not quite a baker's dozen, but that's all the space I have.

Ruling over these are two Italian postcards. One is a photograph of Michelangelo's David imprinted on cheap, but washable plastic that is molded and adherred to a paper backing so that the marble body of the statue is three-dimensional.

Next to that spectacular if disproportionate specimen is a detail of a black and white mosaic from the floor of an Ancient Roman dining room in Pompeii, now in Naples. It bears a very schematic, linear image of the skeleton of a servant who holds a water jug in his lifeless hand. His expression is wide-mouthed, almost like this :shock:, but without the color or volume.

Paired, this is my momento mori, reminding all who cook and snack at this site that after our days of physical abandon and gastronomical delight as facilitated by our array of consumer goods :wink: , honey, we're all gonna die.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

ZERO! I have no counter tops. Waiting on granite. My wife and I have differences on what a kitchen is. For me it's a work space and for her it's a show place. That being said, there will be less on the counter when the new kitchen is done but I can envision a toaster oven, drip coffee maker, espresso machine, Solis coffee grinder and Mazzer Mini grinder taking up some space on the counter top

I have more counterspace in this kitchen than I've ever had before (which isn't saying much) but I still don't like it cluttered up with stuff. Balancing that, though, is the fact that I also hate to have to drag my bigger appliances (stand mixer and food processor) out of a cupboard everytime I want to use them, plus the amount of cupboard space they take up if stored.

My answer is a microwave cart, positioned at the end of my counter, which holds my blender, mixer and processor. They don't take up the prep area but they're easily accessible.

On the counter itself are only my coffemaker and grinder. Ideally, I'd like to not have them out, but they're small, and since I use them every day, it's just too much trouble to get them out and put them away every morning. The microwave, which is tiny, sits on top of the fridge -- not terribly convenient, but I rarely use it, so it's fine.

The only other appliances I have are a toaster (it gets used most every day, but I never leave it out) and an ice cream maker (it doesn't get used often enough to vie for microwave cart space). Oh, and a couple of blade coffee grinders that get used for spices -- they stay in the pantry.

On the actual counter: toaster oven, coffee grinder, Cuis food processor (11-cup and mini).

On the microwave cart: microwave (duh) :rolleyes:

On the stove: tea kettle and Bialetti moka pot

On the metro rack (which takes the place of a pantry): Waring blender, KA stand mixer, Cuis ice cream maker, Sunbeam juicer (circa 1960), Foodsaver.

In cupboards: stick blender, waffle iron

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries