• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ronco Knives

Daniel

My mother was at TJ Max the other day and bought me the Wursthuf Grand Prix set of four.. 8" chef, pairing knife , carving knife  and a steel...  The cost 49.99..

You lucked out on more than just the price. I bought a friend a knife set of Henkels (in a wooden block) as a wedding present and he told me later that they were awful, very dull. Apparently, knifemakers must make different levels of quality and what I bought wasn't top o' the line. :angry: Silly me, I thought a Henkel was a Henkel, a Global was a Global, etc.

Caveat Emptor.

And congratulations on your new knives.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

If you like it, and it works well in your kitchen, then that's all that really counts (who cares what anyone else thinks). Congratulations on the new knife!

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

• 3 months later...

Wanted to update everyone on my knife situation.. I was just cutting up some veal bones for stock.. I got through them with some hacking involved.. When I was through, I noticed these huge dings in my blade.. This is not supposed to happen with a good knife right?

Should I just wait to the sharpener truck comes in front of my building or do I toss this..

This was the Tools of the Trade 10"chef.. Not a great advertisement..

gallery_15057_2785_164370.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

:shock: Looks like that was a pretty crappy knife, Daniel. I would junk it. I like to use a big, heavy cleaver for cutting through things like veal bones, and a nicer Shun knife for delicate work.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Should I just wait to the sharpener truck comes in front of my building or do I toss this..

I would just get some more veal bones, do some more hacking, and call the thing a serrated knife.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Daniel, I'm begging you. Buy yourself a cleaver and don't hurt your knives or yourself hacking up bones...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Wanted to update everyone on my knife situation.. I was just cutting up some veal bones for stock..  I got through them with some hacking involved.. When I was through, I noticed these huge dings in my blade..  This is not supposed to happen with a good knife right? 

This was the Tools of the Trade 10"chef.. Not a great advertisement..

Hey don't throw that out, I see it as a future wire stripper. After a few more good hacks, just put little wire gauge markings above the dings and well, there you have it.

woodburner