• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ronco Knives

Daniel

Buy whatever you want, but absolutely do not buy anything you haven't personally tried out first for fit. Hold it, pretend to chop, slice, etc. Does the handle feel right in your hand? Is the knife too heavy, too light, is the balance right?

A crappy but comfortable (non-serrated) knife can always be re-sharpened, but an uncomfortable knife is tiring to use and may be more prone to causing injuries, espcially if it slips at the wrong time.

Daniel, I don't understand the urgency...other than to save you from the Ronco TV advert.

You will not use most of the pieces in a set.

You're not going to get a 10" Chef knife in a set.

You're not going to get a usefully long bread knife/slicer in a set.

You can get good quality in a Forschner 10" Chef knife and paring knife (or any old paring knife) for what you want to spend. That will do 95 % of what you will use your knives for. Then add a bread knife slicer (12") for about $20 later. These will last you a long, long time in a household kitchen. And then you can upgrade to something else when you want to.

But save yourself from knife sets.

I mean the urgency stems from the several near accidents I have had while cooking. I do a lot of cooking and am bound to really hurt myself while sawing at something with a dull knife.. But you are right, I am just going to take a look at the Forschner

Good call Daniel.

I say: who needs a quality knife when you have a Ronco flavor injector...

Just inject your foods straight into your stomach and bypass all of that unecessary mastication.

Edited by dougery (log)

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

I bought a Forschner set of 3 forged knives at my local resturant supply. 10"chefs, 8" slicing and a paring knife for $99, to take camping with me. Great stuff, let's me leave the really good stuff home.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

It is my understanding that there are several varieties of Masamoto knives. I'm no expert but the super, super expensive like several hundred dollar ones aren't really their primary business. I'm not sure about the exact price conversions but I happened to meet another English speaking woman while I was in the knife shop and she buying a couple knives for her chef-brother who said they were much cheaper in Japan.

It is my understanding that there are several varieties of Masamoto knives.  I'm no expert but the super, super expensive like several hundred dollar ones aren't really their primary business.  I'm not sure about the exact price conversions but I happened to meet another English speaking woman while I was in the knife shop and she buying a couple knives for her chef-brother who said they were much cheaper in Japan.

I took a look at Korin in NYC and see there are three different Masamoto lines. There are a couple of versions that are more at the Wusthof, Henckels price point (like the VG-Western Style).

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

It is my understanding that there are several varieties of Masamoto knives.  I'm no expert but the super, super expensive like several hundred dollar ones aren't really their primary business.  I'm not sure about the exact price conversions but I happened to meet another English speaking woman while I was in the knife shop and she buying a couple knives for her chef-brother who said they were much cheaper in Japan.

I took a look at Korin in NYC and see there are three different Masamoto lines. There are a couple of versions that are more at the Wusthof, Henckels price point (like the VG-Western Style).

This site offers slightly lower prices and their customer service is excellent.

Masamoto VG series is hard to beat!

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/MASAMOTO.html

Now that you are going to get a decent knife, even if not your ultimate wish-list knife: if you have not already seen it, the eGullet Culinary Institute (eGCI) course on Knife Sharpening and Maintenance by Chad Ward is absolutley full of interesting and helpful information. Good knives properly cared for repay you with good and safe service.

Wow Bryan,

I checked out those knives.. They are exquisite.. The african ebony handled k series were ridiculous. They are like faimly heirlooms. To see those blades slice through fresh fish must be beautiful..

Edited by Daniel (log)

This site offers slightly lower prices and their customer service is excellent.

Masamoto VG series is hard to beat!

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/MASAMOTO.html

I think I use an HC Gyuto. Not that this has anything to do with Ronco knives, but some people might be interested. Anyway, I think the gyuto isn't really even a Japanese-style western knife. It's more of a butchering knife, but since I've grown up using pretty heavy German knives, the heavier gyuto version felt better in my hands. But that's just personal preference. I did pay maybe like 15% less in Japan and got it custom engraved.

Hopefully our discussion of high-end knives will push Daniel to bite the bullet and invest in a sweet knife.

edit to add: their traditional sushi knives are the ones that ridiculously expensive. I remember walking up the wall on the "Japanese" side of the store and seeing 30,000 (approx $300) yen, 40,000, 55,000.....it was shocking

edit to add again (sorry the memories are coming back): whatever I have is their second highest line. The black handles are the best I think but they didn't have the size and heft I wanted in that line. Whatever you get from them will OWN anything you have now.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

I don't think that most Japanese Western Gyutou's are intended for butchering. Most of the blades/edges are too thin and hard/brittle to do any butchering. The Deba on the other hand...

I mean the urgency stems from the several near accidents I have had while cooking. I do a lot of cooking and am bound to really hurt myself while sawing at something with a dull knife..  But you are right, I am just going to take a look at the Forschner

Uh, did I miss something or did you believe that you will not hurt yourself using those Roncos?

Forschners are good, but if you have chance, see if the knife(ves) feels good in your hand. You can start investing in your higher end set later.

I don't think that most Japanese Western Gyutou's are intended for butchering.  Most of the blades/edges are too thin and hard/brittle to do any butchering.  The Deba on the other hand...

Whatever version I have is the "heavier" model. It's used for light butchering but is pretty much a chef's knife.

now would anyone believe that I stripped all the bark from a fresh cut cedar tree with a GINSU knife then went in and cut a tomato????

....bolster I always forget what that is called Hate em

....dont put you Henkels in the dishwasher...ginsu yes henkels no

....I love my ginsu, love the henkels too

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Amazing the power of those TV ads... Popeil is quite a salesman!

However, since Daniel is in Manhattan it's UNBELIEVABLE that he would consider those pieces of junk. Starting with upstairs at Zabar's, Macy's, Bridge, even Wiliams Sonoma, you can do better for just about the same price!! Any name brand, Henckels, Sabatier, or the like. Of course, you can spend upwards of $100 per knife on some brands, other decent quality will give you a full set for $100.

DO NOT BUY THOSE TV AD KNIVES!! THEY ARE GARBAGE!!

Cant look into Popeils eyes.. They are hypnotic.. I cant look away, must submit to his will.. :biggrin:

The conclusion to this story is I didnt go with the Ronco's.. What the girl and I decided on was that she would go to Macy's and get a knife sharpener so we could sharpen the crappy knives we already had.. It turns out the diamond knife sharpener she wanted was not the 30 bucks she told me, but 180 or something.. So she was at the counter at Macy's being told that the sharpener was too expensive, when a women was comming back to return the Tools Of The Trade Knife Set... Aparrantly, there was a misprint and the block set didnt come with the cleaver as promoted.. So the women returned the item, my girl bought the set she returned for a reduced price of 22 bucks..

So now I have this set of knives. The only thing I can say is, what a world of difference.. These knives are a below average set and I am in heaven.. I cant wait to get myself a really good set. Last night I deboning fish, cutting vegetables, with ease.. Tonight, I will be especially greatful for my knives.. I will be butchering a pigs head...

So thank you for opening my eyes everyone..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Thank God you didn't get those Ronco knives!! :biggrin:

I would have been really concern about you if you did. What would happen next? Semi-homemade cooking? :blink:

As you go window shopping, check out various knives until you find one that you feel comfortable with, check the price and wait for a sale.

Boy, was I sweating on this one ... :unsure:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I would have been really concern about you if you did. What would happen next? Semi-homemade cooking?  :blink:

Or, "How to cook gourmet meals with crappy knives." :laugh:

Congrats on your new knife set. You are not going to regret it. You and your meals deserve good knives. Somehow I have this image of you calling Ronco complaining that the knives weren't able to withstand a pig's head. Customer service: "I'm sorry, the warranty covers a brick, a hammer, and a soda can, but not pigs heads."

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Haha.. The warranty doesnt cover a pig head.. That had me laughing.. Yeh the pigs head is almost defrosted, these knives are going to get put to the test right away.. I will definately keep you all up to date on the knives.. And the pigs head as well.. :biggrin:pigs head

• 1 month later...

Well the knives I bought completely suck.. Tools of the Trade? :angry: Even out of the box they arent that sharp..

My mother was at TJ Max the other day and bought me the Wursthuf Grand Prix set of four.. 8" chef, pairing knife , carving knife and a steel... The cost 49.99..

Let me tell you.. These things are amazing.. I used them for the first time this weekend.. The difference is unbelievable.. I grew up with the values that the 100 dollar sneakers arent worth it.. That you wont be better at baseball if you have Reggie Jackson on your mit.. Or slam a basketball like Mike, unless you practice like Mike..

But I dont think my theory applies to cutlery.. I am now convinced that a great knife is essential..

It took me awhile to get it. Just keeping you guys updated..

Edited by Daniel (log)