• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food vacation abroad

eipi10

Suppose you were planning a two-week vacation abroad with the aim of finding tasty, interesting food that surpasses that which is available in the US. What country or area of the world would you travel to?

Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, India.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Italy - I'm going next year! :biggrin: Tuscany, Rome, and Emilia-Romagna. Ooooh, I can barely wait (she says, rubbing her hands together with glee)!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Well, I've done just this.

For three consecutive years recently I took one 2-week and two 3-week eating vacations in the Alsace region of France. (And I have no doubt whatsoever that the same could be done in virtually every region of the country; I did a culinary week in Burgundy some years ago, and the next region I'm researching and plotting to do weeks and weeks in is France's Southwest.)

Here's a photographic web report on those trips from Alsace. These are some of the major restaurants we hit, and the multiple meals are from the fact that some we'd go to many times in the same year, and others we'd hit once each year. At the bottom of this page is a link called "Culinary Escapades" which just shows miscellaneous food finds and adventures.

My Eating Trips to Alsace, France

In the 70's I used to do this same kind of thing in Italy, and I've taken month-long culinary wanderings through Umbria, Tuscany, and Emilia-Romagna as well.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

No dispute with anyone else's answers. I think I'd go to either Malaysia or Italy. Throw in La Provence. And perhaps India would be the very best possible eating vacation, considering both taste and value, but I wouldn't know which region of India would be best.

Michael aka "Pan"

Italy - I'm going next year!  :biggrin:  Tuscany, Rome, and Emilia-Romagna.  Ooooh, I can barely wait (she says, rubbing her hands together with glee)!

M.B: While I am sure you will take advantage of everything here on this site when you start making plans, I hope one way that you will deal with your impatience is by clicking on the regional forum for Italy & Italian Cuisine.

Cf. The Nerdy Guy's New Year's Resolution Blog (or normal guy's nerdy resolution...don't remember, K., sorry).

The recent photographs of a rustic Chard pie and an excellent ragu are enough to make you squeal as you rub your hands together.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I guess I'd have to say Italy, particulary Tuscany and Rome. We had wonderful pici pasta, truffle pasta, roasted pork, sausage and beans and more in Tuscany (in the Montalcino/San Quirico/Pienza region). I haven't been to Emilia-Romagna, so I'll have to do that next time. We just got back from a few days in SW France and I have to say that overall, I preferred what we ate in Italy. Though we did have some amazing duck confit...

London.

Does that sound strange to you? It did to the woman who checked my passport a couple of days ago at Heathrow. I've made several trips to London in the last year and she wanted to know why. I told her I come for the food and she didn't believe me. But it's true.

Yesterday I shopped at Steve Hatt and bought scallops with the coral attached. From what I've read, it's illegal to sell them that way in The States. Best scallops I've ever had. Sweet. Melt-in-the-mouth delicious. I also bought halibut steaks which were cut for me on the spot. I can't get such fresh fish in Chicago. Cooked with butter and fresh fennel and served with a sauce made from white wine, fish stock, tomatoes, shallots and lots of butter. Fabulous.

Today I'm going to Borough Market. I might pick up a Label Rouge chicken. French butter. Irish cheese. Jamon Iberico. Food from all over Europe but all in one convenient location. What I wouldn't give to have a Farmer's Market like this in Chicago.

I'll make another trip to La Fromagerie and pick up more Vacherin Mont d'Or. That stuff makes me close my eyes with ecstasy. My husband shops there so often that they know him by name. When I'm not with him, he stops there on his way to the airport so he can bring me a special treat.

Every time I come to London, I find a new culinary treasure. Just by wandering the streets. This time it was a middle-Eastern grocer Green Valley on Upper Berkeley. I love grocery shopping. And a wonderful independent wine merchant called Philglas & Swiggot. The name of the shop drew me in. I picked up a nice bottle of Greek wine. Partly because I had never seen a Greek wine before. Nice and crisp. Perfect with the scallops.

I love London. I am comfortable walking around town and I don't worry about getting lost. I don't speak any languages other than English and I enjoy being in a country where I don't have to worry (too much) about being understood. :raz:

I hate to leave and I always look forward to coming back. For the food. :biggrin::wub:

- Kim

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

We just came back from a month in Australia: Victoria and South Australia, specifically. We had wonderful food at tiny chef-owned restaurants all over the place. And you have the advantage of the dollar actually being worth something , as opposed to Europe where it is worthless.

Australians have fresh seafood: lots of squid and oysters, King George whiting, barramundi, marrons, mussels, soft shell crabs - all appear nonchalantly on menus wherever you go along the coast. The Asian food is incredible - many people argue that Australia is actually an Asian country - thanks to the many immigrants. Melbourne has the second largest Greek community in the world, second only to Athens. Italian immigrants have also carved out a significant niche for themselves, so you can get the full gamut of Italian cuisine.

$1000 will get you there and back to LA on Qantas.

Well, I've done just this. 

For three consecutive years recently I took one 2-week and two 3-week eating vacations in the Alsace region of France.  (And I have no doubt whatsoever that the same could be done in virtually every region of the country; I did a culinary week in Burgundy some years ago, and the next region I'm researching and plotting to do weeks and weeks in is France's Southwest.)

Here's a photographic web report on those trips from Alsace.  These are some of the major restaurants we hit, and the multiple meals are from the fact that some we'd go to many times in the same year, and others we'd hit once each year.  At the bottom of this page is a link called "Culinary Escapades" which just shows miscellaneous food finds and adventures.

My Eating Trips to Alsace, France

In the 70's I used to do this same kind of thing in Italy, and I've taken month-long culinary wanderings through Umbria, Tuscany, and Emilia-Romagna as well.

Originally I would have named distant cities but now I have it sorted.

I will simply go where Markk goes! :cool:

I'm right with Kim D on London.

This year, Mr C and I are going on a 3-week food trek through Thailand with my Thai cooking teacher.

Kasma Loha-unchit -- Thai Food and Travel (We're taking Trip B, central and northern Thailand.)

~A

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I have an eating trip that I have wanted to take for quite a while, but haven't yet found the right time.

It would cover the Northeast corner of Spain and Southwest France. Would probably land in Barcelona and spend a couple of days eating, take a day south in Priorat, travel north up the Costa Brava through Girona, Figueres, etc. to Perpignan. From Perignan, west to Toulouse, then probably west-northwest on backrounds through Dordogne (eating as often as possible) and eventually to the coast and down to Bayonne/Biarritz area. From there, south through the french, then spanish, Basque country to San Sabastian. Spend a couple days eating in San Sebastian, then go further west to Bilbao. Finally, east through Pamplona and Zaragoza and ending up back in Barcelona.

Probably couldn't do all that I am thinking possible, but among the possibilities of the trip would be:

- Multiple great eating cities (Barcelona, San Sebastian, Toulouse)

- Great countryside food (southwest France, not so sure about inland Spain)

- Restaurants with legendary chefs (Adria, Arzak, Guerard, to name a few)

- Wine territory (Rioja, Priorat, Languedoc)

- Opportunity for night life (Barcelona)

- Beach (Mediterranean, Atlantic)

- Mountains (Pyrenees)

- Culture (Guggenheim in Bilbao, Gaudi in Barcelona, Barcelona Museums)

- Potential Death (running of the bulls in Pamplona)

- Possible Side Trips (Andorra, Lourdes, Montserrat)

Am I missing anything?

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

London.

Does that sound strange to you? It did to the woman who checked my passport a couple of days ago at Heathrow. I've made several trips to London in the last year and she wanted to know why. I told her I come for the food and she didn't believe me. But it's true.

I have always wanted to go to England just to find out for myself if the food is as bad as some people claim. Your experience makes me think it would be a good idea.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

I have an eating trip that I have wanted to take for quite a while, but haven't yet found the right time.

It would cover the Northeast corner of Spain and Southwest France. Would probably land in Barcelona and spend a couple of days eating, take a day south in Priorat, travel north up the Costa Brava through Girona, Figueres, etc. to Perpignan.  From Perignan, west to Toulouse, then probably west-northwest on backrounds through Dordogne (eating as often as possible) and eventually to the coast and down to Bayonne/Biarritz area. From there, south through the french, then spanish, Basque country to San Sabastian.  Spend a couple days eating in San Sebastian, then go further west to Bilbao.  Finally, east through Pamplona and Zaragoza and ending up back in Barcelona.

I have been thinking of that exact same trip for a long, long time. I think you would need a good 3 weeks.

London.

I have always wanted to go to England just to find out for myself if the food is as bad as some people claim. Your experience makes me think it would be a good idea.

Generalizations should always be approached with trepidation :rolleyes:, but while that reputation may have been justified decades ago, the United Kingdom has changed. Even then, there were some nice things to be had just as one could find a few decent meals served in the U.S.A. before the changes wrought by James Beard, Julia Child, Alice Waters among others, even in Chicago.

London in particular is one of the great cities for restaurants in Europe...and for groceries, too, judging by Kim D.'s comments.

Check out the regional forums dedicated to this part of the world.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Italy. Definitely Italy. Never been, but always wanted to go. Next summer, I've decided to take a month-long trip there with my best friend. Sooooo excited!

Now I just need to check out the Italy forum to figure out where all I am going to go. Definitely Emilia-Romagna, home of prosciutto di parma, parmigiano reggiano cheese, and pasta bolognese. And some wonderful balsamic vinegar, unless I am getting my regions mixed up. And I'll definitely hit Naples, the birthplace of my favorite food, pizza. But where else? The options are so overwhelming. :wacko: I must seek the wisdom of my fellow eGullet-ers, and soon. To the Italy forum!

Campagna is a wonderful area for both savory food and pastries, and they also have some nice wines and truly interesting mineral waters. I consider really interesting mineral water a real rarity, but that naturally (lightly) carbonated water from the slopes of Vesuvius is worth getting.

Michael aka "Pan"

Madagascar

Mainly because noOoObody is doing it :biggrin: And also I would think I'd find things there your just not going to see anywhere else, don't know why, good and bad :huh:

I think Jamaica would serve equally well.

both have gerat surf too.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea