• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Souffle with only egg whites?

fud

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a good way to search "souffle with only egg white" and have it give me anything meaningful back.

I have 8 egg whites but no yolks and I want to make a souffle but I've only ever made souffle's that use the yolks too. Can this be done? If so anyone have links to recipes/ideas that do this?

Thanks!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I make egg white only souffles all the time. In fact, I prefer them. Here's my take

10 oz Bittersweet chocolate

3/4 cups Heavy cream

5 tbs. Sugar

2 tbs. Butter

1 tbs. Orange liquer

1 tbs. Vanilla extract

1/4 tsp. Salt

6 Egg whites

1 pinch Cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 350

-Combine first 7 ingredients and melt over double boiler

-Beat eggs and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Fold chocoloate mixtere into eggs until just combined. Ladel into buttered ramekins

-Bake until puffed and just set in center, 12 minutes. Top with whipped cream or whatever you want.

Pastry isn't exactly my strong suit but this is a really simple go to recipe and it's lighter than the w/ egg yolks version.

^ Excellent thank you! I will try this! Anyone make savoury ones with just egg whites?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

of course, what they all said.

i sometimes make a broccoli souffle with bechamel base:

(roux, milk, cheese) add chopped broccoli and any spices, fold in egg whites, bake

i also have a great recipe for apricot souffles

it uses pureed dried apricots with liquer and orange juice and done with a pistachio topping

I would think you only need the yolk for enrichening and flavor. Egg whites are the structure. If you dont mind a sacrifice in flavor (being the flavor intense already) no worries at all only using egg whites. Will rise higher without the yolks.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea