• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Microwave

Christopher Haatuft

I use my microwave to soften butter: put 1 or 2 sticks of wrapped butter on a small plate and nuke for 10 seconds. Leave it alone for about 3 to 5 minutes and test it by squeezing between your thumb and finger to see if it's softened enough. If not, nuke for another 5 or 10 seconds. It shouldn't need anything more than that.

To melt butter: Put butter in glass measuring cup, nuke for 20 seconds. Remove and stir. Repeat as necessary, shortening to 15 second intervals.

I use it to heat milk and butter just before stirring it into mashed potatoes.

I warm up coffee.

If I need only 1 cup of boiling water, I don't mess with refilling and using the electric teapot. I put the water in the microwave, and usually 2 1/2 minutes will be perfect.

I have also melted chocolate, very successfully, in the microwave. Same method as melting butter: stir every 20 seconds.

I use it to heat milk for hot chocolate.

I have a couple of recipes that call for liquid ingredients to be at room temperature before adding. 10 to 20 seconds, and stir, repeat as necessary, does it nicely. I do not use this method for eggs.

I also nuke a wet dishrag for 1 minute, if I suspect it needs de-germing, such as when I wipe up juice from meat or chicken. I do use soap to take care of the germs, but sometimes I also follow with microwaving. My understanding is that 1 minute will kill everything that needs killing.

I use the microwave on a daily basis:

-warm BBs milk

-defrost BBs food (I make huge vats of food and freeze it into individual portions...a lifesaver when I'm pressed for time and he's REALLY hungry)

-defrost ice cream to the perfectly scoopable level

-reheat coffee

-reheat leftover takeaway food

I don't think I could live without this gadget.

I really just dont get how anyone could use these things passed heating liquid, or melting liquid.. My girl sometimes makes a ganache in it.. For me, there is nothing more disgusting then using a microwave.. I recently drove a total of an hour for some pizza.. I went to my girls Mother's House on the way home.. I made the mistake of bringing the pizza into the house... I felt obligated to offer her the remaining pizza.. As I handed over the perfectly charred coal oven pizza, I knew she was going to put it in the microwave.. I begged with her, I made her promise me, I even pre-heated her oven while I was standing there..

She took the pizza and put it in the microwave after I left.. Never again! Obviously, I didnt let on to the girl or her mother the pain it caused me, but I was legitemately upset by this.. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

Microwaves are great for melting butter and reheating leftovers, IMHO, but I humbly submit that these applications are the most fun. I mean, I don't think you can create plasma balls with a double-boiler. . .

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Patrick.. Have you ever made a ganache in the microwave..

No. I tried melting chocolate in the microwave long ago, but I ended up with scorchted bits. That scared me away from ever putting chocolate in the microwave again. I always bring cream to just under a simmer and then pour it over chocolate to make my ganache.

EDIT: I suppose I could heat my cream in the microwave, but out of habit I always do this in a small pan.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I whole-hearted agree with the microwave disikers, except several mention reheating soup is a valid application of this tool... I really think its worth the time and energy to reheat soup on the stove top - I just think the mw heats some parts too much and others not enough. I know that repeated stopping the nuker and stirring would minimize, but I'd rather stand over the stove top and stir.

Is there any issues related to energy usage? Am I being an energy hog by using the stove top and toaster oven instead of the microwave?

Edited to fix typos.

Edited by eJulia (log)

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

most recent use of microwave ovens .... :laugh:

Back to the food uses, which are much safer: I use my microwave oven for defrosting frozen spinach .. and then squeeze out all of that water before using in recipes...no point in waiting for the spinach to heat in a pot this way ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

That's certainly an interesting way to warm baby's milk...

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Shameless self-promotion department:

At the other end of this link is a negligible article on what to do with your microwave:

I'm not saying it's like a death-ray or anything, but it's more than the glorified butane lighter you call a gas range, or the mutant offspring of a power drill, like a food processor. It's a war veteran -- a hero, in fact, and even though it's a senior citizen, it's the most high-tech thing you've got in your kitchen, with the innocuous exception of the digital timer. But you, serious cook that you are, have no use for it.

Fine.

Better than the column, however, is the discussion topic attached to it, which has a number of excellent suggestions.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

That's certainly an interesting way to warm baby's milk...

It's fantastic! 20 seconds on high...ping!...shake milk. Presto, perfectly tepid milk.

Am I the only one who does the ice cream thing?

Oh yeah, one other thing...I make a salted caramel "fondu" by placing the jar in for 10-15 seconds, then dipping apple slices...yum.