• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Websites...to have or have not?

Curlz

I was recently at a small (15-20 tables) restaurant near where I live, and we commented to the owner that we were surprised that he didn't have a web site (they've been open for 8 months, fwiw). We had an interesting discussion about it, and he explained that he wants the place to stand on its own merits via word-of-mouth and local newspaper reviews (all of which have been good, from what I know). He said he doesn't want to make/break it because of a web site.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the topic...are there other restaurateurs who feel this way? I know what my comments were as a customer, but I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Great topic! I'd urge the owner to have at least one single page with the basic information: hours, contacts, address, directions. Having a few other pages (menus, specials, photos) might be nice, but I google restaurant names all the time, and it's a drag to have to pour through web listings that aren't clear, don't have the information you need, or, worst case, are contradictory.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

From a consumer standpoint a website is a good thing. From the restaurant's view they must be careful because content could hurt as much as help. Menus could become outdated, prices may change, wine lists may become obsolete. Even descriptions could inadvertently turn people off as well as complicated site.

Bottom line, if a restaurant's not careful with their web presence, it could be a negative instead of a positive.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I agree with rich, if the restaurateur doesn't keep up with the page and provides a whole lot of flash animation and flickering emoticons, then it's better that they don't have it. You must be careful when building a website, as you want to keep it usable, friendly and inforative. If you really have nothing to say, skip the website.

Also, it's always the choice of the people running the restaurant on how to spread the news. Maybe they don't want a whole lot of new business or to have to deal with on line reservations or even replying to emails.

Having said that, a website is a pretty cool tool that can be used to one's advantage. If you want to upload information regularly, and talk a bit about your personal philosophy, share some recipes and post relevant information (like your chef's resume, the menu and driving directions) then you shouldn't go without a website. I would certainly have one.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

While I think it's admirable to want to suceed by word of mouth, I think he could be missing out on a whole segment of potential customers. When we travel, I use the web all the time to search for restaurants in an area I'm not familiar with. And, if we travel back to the same place as we do often, if I liked the place, I'm liable to return there whenever I can.

I agree that websites need to be kept updated, be easy to navigate and lose the flash. But a sample of the menus, philosophy and even a few pictures etc is something I would be interested in seeing.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Hours, location, and phone number should be required. I never use a phone book these days.

A sample menu subject to change is a huge plus. I understand if the menu changes--I just want an idea. I want to see whether a Thai restaurant serves things like "happy noodles" and "crazy rice" or dishes that look interesting and authentic.

Maintaining a webpage requires a very small amount of money and effort. How hard is it to update it if you change your hours (this would be important)?

I agree with the other posters--no stupid music in the background, no intro (God I hate intros), just html.

Hours, location, and phone number should be required. I never use a phone book these days. 

I agree with the other posters--no stupid music in the background, no intro (God I hate intros), just html.

Exactly. I never use the phone book, either. Just something simple will do. But for pete's sake, if you change your hours, change your website!

And if you open a new restaurant, I would say always have that simple website ready to go before you open. Right now there are several restaurants in my area that I would love to check out on the web -- again, just something simple -- but I can't find any listings. (Too early for reviews.)

SusieQ

I love it when restaurants have websites, if for nothing else besides the basic info. HUGE bonus points if they keep an updated menu online-its a great tool when groups need to pick a place (e.g. me and friends deciding where to go for dinner, I suggest restaurant A, they say, "what's it like?" I email the menu, they see dishes they like and there we go).

owrd of mouth is great but will only get u so far and newpapers dont always get around to reviews and when they do...its limited...if the owner wants his place to be a success..he is killing his chances...as we all know if a buisness is going to fold it will do so within the first two years...and recently on foodnetwork i heard that for restaurants its five years....of course one has to do what is needed to insure that thier place does not become just another has been statistic...too much money to sink into a palce just to have it all die.... for lack of care.

a recipe is merely a suggestion

I really don't like to do businesses that don't have at least a rudimentary website by now, because to me it says they're somewhat behind the curve. A simple HTML website with basic information - hours, type of food, maybe a sample menu, and for heaven's sake, a phone number - gives you a presence, allows you to be found via search engines, and just basically allows people to know you're there.

Like others, I almost never go to the phone book anymore. Especially since a lot of the time I'm trying to find and make reservations at restaurants in Denver, and since I don't live in Denver, I don't have a Denver phone book. But with a quick web search, I found the site for the restaurant we wanted to eat at on Saturday, gave them a call, and we have reservations. (And this time I bookmarked it.)

I'm with the others - skip all the flash, forget the music, don't try to make the website an "experience" - especially since all that crap doesn't work on every browser, and you're trying to have a site that is usable by as many customers as possible.

I don't think a web site is going to be what makes or breaks a restaurant. But it's a cheap and easy marketing tool, and I think at this point restaurants do indeed need one.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I think having a website is a must. I mean, it's 2005 and if you want to reach the greatest number of people, you do it on the web. I mean, spend the money for your customers and develop a site with flash, and update it often.

I think it reflects well on the restaurant if they go to great lengths to have a decent site. A well done site presumes well done, carefully tended to food. At least to me it does.

I have occasionally done single-class sessions at ICE on the subject of restaurant web sites, particularly how to build a basic site, how to do basic marketing, how to keep things cheap, and what is appropriate functionality for different concepts. I feel strongly that a basic web site is within the means of even the smallest restaurant and it has become a cost of doing business these days.

Various domain hosts, such as Verisign and Network Solutions, have decent packages for as little as $10-$20 per month that allow updates as frequently as you would like to make them and more than fit the needs of most restaurants. They include not only the ability to design and host pages (i.e. through an online wizard), but also the ability to build email lists and send out email marketing pieces, etc. Since most restaurants already have a graphic designer who creates logos, menus, advertising, etc. they already have a ready source of images (and can suppliment with a digital camera) that can be modified for the web more cheaply than developing graphics from scratch. There is little functionality that most restaurants should have that would require a lot of development (i.e. programming) work. For the very high-end restaurants (Bouley, Daniel, etc), additional custom development might be a good idea to differentiate their sites from competitors, but those restaurants usually have substantially larger budgets to devote to this.

At a minimum, the site should have basic contact information (name, address, phone, etc.), directions and a map (free from various online map services), information on how to make reservations (whether by calling or through an online service), and, ideally, a menu, as well as some other static information as desired (chef's bio, recipes, etc). If you are going to post a menu, you should update it as frequently as it changes. That and email marketing around special events, offers, etc. are the areas that should get the most focus in terms of frequent updates. These updates should not be that cumbersome and, in most restaurants, should be doable by an assistant manager prior to service when necessary. The real key cost for a restaurant in doing this is getting a computer and internet access in the restaurant, which a) a lot of restaurants already have and b) is not completely necessary if there is someone who can update it from a home computer.

Of course, beyond this functionality, there is a lot you can do. It only depends on how much money you want to spend. The only overall guideline I give is that the site should reflect the restaurant. If your restaurant is fun, you should try to make the site fun. If you are running a high-end restaurant, the site should look as professional as possible with focus on high-quality graphics and pictures, with possibly some flash for visual appeal.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Definitely a website. As someone else said, it's 2005.

Being married to a somewhat picky eater, I like to be able to at least get an idea of the menu if it's a place that we haven't been to before. This way, I know that there will be something for my husband to enjoy. If we show up and the menu isn't exact, that's okay, but I just like to get a feeling for the place ahead of time.

However, living in NYC I use Menupages.com more than anything. It's a great resource.

I think having a website is a must. I mean, it's 2005 and if you want to reach the greatest number of people, you do it on the web. I mean, spend the money for your customers and develop a site with flash, and update it often.

I think it reflects well on the restaurant if they go to great lengths to have a decent site. A well done site presumes well done, carefully tended to food. At least to me it does.

I think I have seen more bad restaurant sites with flash than good ones, so I say caution with the gimcrackery unless it's really expertly done. And by expert, I don't mean fancy, I just mean effective and something that works even for those poor souls stuck with dial-up on an old browser. Otherwise, make sure you have a non-flash option from the word GO.

And don't put music...at the best it slows you down and at the worst it conflicts with the music you already have playing, or blasts out in the office where you are really not supposed to be surfing restaurants :laugh:

However, I think a web presence is important, and I don't think there's any shame in just having contact info, address, and hours. Menus and a few pictures are better, but I am among those who will likely not go somewhere that I can't easily look up online.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I agree that a restaurant should have a website especially since it how I plan half of my dining for vacations. I am thankful though that Alinea did not have a website back in May...it's actually how I found egullet!

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

A  sample menu subject to change is a huge plus. I understand if the menu changes--I just want an idea. I want to see whether a Thai restaurant serves things like "happy noodles" and "crazy rice" or dishes that look interesting and authentic.

Haha.. I didnt know if crazy rice or happy noodles were going to be a good thing... I was thinking, "Wow, I have never had crazy noodles before.. What makes them so crazy" :biggrin:

I agree with everyone's remarks about the content and navigation of restaurant websites, but on the point about the phone book, allow me to point you to the Online Yellow Pages. Let your mouse do the walking (scurrying?).

Superpages is woefully incomplete. It's also irritating if you live in NJ because there is no way to filter out NYC listings when you aren't interested in a night in the City. But I digress.

When I'm deciding where to dine out, I usually look at the online menus of several places to make the final decision. So if you don't have a website with a menu - given that, as far as I know, there's no NJ equivalent of the NYC Menupages site - you won't have a chance at getting my business.

Since I still have a dialup connection, I also appreciate simple & straightforward sites that load quickly at 52K. I'm after information, not dazzle.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I think that any legitimate business should have a website these days. Even if it's a small mom & pop store - a simple homepage with basic information about the company's location, store hours, type of merchandise, maybe a little about the history of the company is enough.

Restaurants without websites really irk me; especially if it's a new place and I'm looking to check out the menu.

In general, I'm turned off by companies that don't have a website. I have actually selected do business with one company vs. its competitor because company A had a website and company B did not.

So I think this restauranteur is being shortsighted by not trying to capitalize on potential clients, regardless of where they come from (word of mouth, internet, etc.)

I agree with everyone's remarks about the content and navigation of restaurant websites, but on the point about the phone book, allow me to point you to the Online Yellow Pages. Let your mouse do the walking (scurrying?).

Superpages is woefully incomplete. It's also irritating if you live in NJ because there is no way to filter out NYC listings when you aren't interested in a night in the City.[...]

Did you try limiting for restaurants within a given town or no more than x miles from a given town? Suffice it to say that there are ways of limiting the results.

Anyway, I thought the paper Yellow Pages was also incomplete and included only those who paid to advertise.

Michael aka "Pan"

The most fun restaurant website I've come across lately is for fish. in Sausalito.

Simple and tasteful, like The Boonville Hotel, is nice too.

I hate the ones that require me to download something to experience them or are huge bandwidth hogs.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

A web site is key for me. I love to check out a menu before I go somewhere, especially if it's a new place.

Web sites can be very simple, and inexpensive. I hate flash sites that take too long to load.

Some of the best sites I've seen have lots of great info on them, directions, events, news, recipes, reviews, etc. Here's one that I think is great....except for the somewhat slow opening.

http://www.radiusrestaurant.com/main.shtml

:) Pam

I was recently at a small (15-20 tables) restaurant near where I live, and we commented to the owner that we were surprised that he didn't have a web site (they've been open for 8 months, fwiw). We had an interesting discussion about it, and he explained that he wants the place to stand on its own merits via word-of-mouth and local newspaper reviews (all of which have been good, from what I know). He said he doesn't want to make/break it because of a web site.

It sounds like he is comparing a website to a big advertising campaign, whereas in this day and age I think a fair comparison would be between having a website and having a phone number.

I like restaurant websites that are simple -- directions, phone number, hours, and maybe a sample menu. Although a few pictures would be nice, I don't need prices or a wine list or any major details.

The problems with depending on "word of mouth" is (1) word of mouth isn't going to tell future customers your hours or give them a sample menu beyond what the recommender ate; and (2) not all customers will be locals -- when I travel, I like to pick restaurants ahead of time and I typically do this by viewing websites.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

Yes, websites are great especially if they are clear (e.g. you don't need to guess where you are supposed to click to get information) and fully up to date. One of my local restaurants has a site and also sends out emails with lists of specials and events, which I appreciate getting.

I do wish people would cool it with the pdf files on restaurant sites, particularly when it's not clear that clicking will activate one. Adobe Acrobat hangs up some computers. The files are often not all that legible. Why do that for a menu that's one or two pages?

I concur with the analogy between having a website and having a phone. It's the bare minimum if you want to be a business in the 21st Century. But it's also interoperative: if you have information on the web, you may get fewer phone calls asking for that same information. This will become more and more true as time goes on. Having a person answer the phone is a significant expense.

But all that may miss the point. The thing is, your business is going to be on the web whether you like it or not. Open a restaurant, soon after you will be listed all over the web. You'll be on CitySearch, MenuPages, whatever there is in your local market. So the choice isn't whether or not you're going to be on the web. It's whether or not you're going to take control of what information about you is available. By having your own site, under your control, you increase the chances that people will be getting the information you want them to have, presented the way you want to present it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)