• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

purchasing chocolate equipment

nolly

I was wondering if anyone could help with websites for purchasing chocolate equipment. I have just been following the great demonstrations with chocolate bons etc - they are fabulous. I was after a chocolate curler. I wanted to make the deep curls that you see in wedding cake books and once worked in a pastry kitchen where they used an instrutment similar looking to a mezulin - with two handles and each end and you pulled the instrument toward you gathering chocolate curls as you went. It was a butchers instrument though I do not know the name of it and have not been able to track down anything on the internet. Does anyone know of any web sites that have something similar

regards

nolly

jb prince

pastrychef.com

kerekes

You dont really need a special tool. All you need is a chefs knife that you don't really care for :laugh:

Get a hair dryer or heat gun, light heat up the surface of a large bar of chocolate. Drage the knife holding the tip in one hand and the handle in the other towards you. Holdthe knife at about 70degrees and curl the chocolate at the angle you want it.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

If you are thinking about a blunt edged knife about 18 to 24 inches across with 2 handles ....I think thats a cheese knife for cutting whole wheels of cheese, at least thats what I always used it for.

Tracey

like this??

http://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv?Screen=..._14_(RSHS18914)

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

You can also just go to the hardware store & get one of those things they use to spackle with. I can't think of what they're called..short handle with kind of a flat hoe hoe shaped blade..

its called a spackling knife..or a putty knife..... :laugh:

a recipe is merely a suggestion