• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pyrat Rum Cask 23

Tad

Pyrat Cask 23 is undeniably good rum, but there are other rums for which deserve your attention.

For starters you owe it to yourself to taste the following (in alphabetical order):

Cockspur VSOR

El Dorado Special Reserve

Mount Gay Extra Old

Neisson Reserve Speciale

Ron Zacapa Centenario

Santa Teresa 1796

And it should be noted that you can buy all of the above rums for much less than the price of one bottle of Cask 23.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Oh the Centenario is amazing stuff.

On the El Dorado, the 15 year old is amazing. I assume that's the one you're referring to.

I've had the 1796 and until I had the Centenario it was my favourite. Bought it in Venezuela, and can't get it here in Ontario, Canada.

Great choices.

I picked up a bottle of El Dorado Special Reserve it's good with a little water and ice.

I also have a bottle of English Harbor Extra Old also good but not as smooth as the El Dorado.

I'm still looking for Santa Teresa 1796.

I'll have to keep the list with me and look for the rest.

Thanks

Tad

Tad, stop by the hacienda sometime. I looked in my rum collection and I have a bottle of Santa Teresa 1796. It's a bit light for my tastes, but not a bad rum.

The Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 year old is much better than the 15 year old. And I don't much care for the El Dorado Special Reserve, but that's just me. Friends of mine love it dearly. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Planter's Gold. That was my absolute favorite until I discovered Pyrat Cask 23 and Ron Zacapa Centenario (23 y/o). YUM!

Ed, how much do you have to pay for Pyrat Cask 23?

Edited by LunaSea (log)