• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Digest: Kansas City Food Media Round-Up

ronnie_suburban

KC Media Digest for week of April 5 - 11, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Gail Borelli's tips, tricks and traps of meringue.

Mary Pepitone visits Becky Price as she pays homage to the tradition of hot cross buns in Come Into My Kitchen

Doug Frost on why you shouldn't let Hollywood turn you sideways against merlot.

Here is this week's Food Calendar.

Business Section

Joyce Smith reports

- some health code violations

- and a chain outlet closing.

Elsewhere

Hearne Christopher reports on a pending landmark liquor license decision and continues his effort to stir things up between local restaurateurs and the food critic from another local publication.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin makes a trip to the Bangkok Pavilion buffet in Good & Cheap; and finds much to love about Ryan Torpey's Swizzle, a new-ish venture brought to us by the owners of The Gaf.

The Pitch

Charles Ferruzza & Company visit new Johnson County Japanese tapas bar (?) and say "bet you can't eat One Bite."

And in My Big Fat Mouth says ciao, baby to one of our favorite sons, Tim Doolittle.

Lawrence Journal-World

It wouldn't be spring without it - Gwyn Mellinger gives us the annual asparagus update.

And another annual rite of spring for many is the easter egg hunt. Susan Krumm offers advice on egg safety.

For those in the Sunflower Cablevision viewing area, Jayni's Kitchen features mouth-watering meats; recipes are provided.

On 710 KCMO (AM)

From Jasper's Kitchen, with Jasper Mirabile, 11am-noon Saturday. Go here and click Listen Live.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

KC Media Digest for week of April 12 - 18, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Jill Silva shares an unusual crostini recipe in Eating For Life.

Mary Pepitone visits Barbara Cook, Royals fan, and 'steals' her winning recipe for brisket in Come Into My Kitchen.

Doug Frost recommends a reasonably priced Aussie shiraz.

As mentioned on a separate thread, 'tis the season for Farmers Markets.

Business Section

Joyce Smith reports

- reports on the Power Plant smokestack controversy

- and new comings and goings at Village West.

Elsewhere

Hearne Christopher with some welcome news - Robert Krause Dining (in Lawrence) is open for business.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin visits a relative newcomer to North Kansas City, the Kansas City Rib Company; and, in Good & Cheap, a new home delivery service can make you a Happy Soup Eater.

The Pitch

Charles Ferruzza steps into the way-back machine at Northland roadhouse The Hy-Way House.

And in My Big Fat Mouth continues the nostalgia theme at the Tower Tavern.

Lawrence Journal-World

Terry Rombeck suggests this grill drill to prepare for springtime grilling.

KCUR 89.3 FM

Join Walt Bodine as he welcomes the Food Critics at 10 a.m. tomorrow (Friday) morning. Go here and click Listen Live.

KCMO 710 AM

From Jasper's Kitchen, with Jasper Mirabile, 11am-noon Saturday. Go here and click Listen Live.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

KC Media Digest for week of April 19 - 25, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Jill Silva celebrates the natural marriage of apricots and pork in Eating For Life.

Mary Pepitone visits with Christy Rodes and "her kids" in Come Into My Kitchen.

Doug Frost offers a taste of Bookwalter Merlot in his Grape Escapes.

Farmers Markets listing for this week is here; and here is this week's Food Calendar.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin is lukewarm about locally based hot property Red Robin

and, in Good & Cheap, finds a quirky new favorite in a quirky old space.

The Pitch

Charles Ferruzza takes a twirl around Southwest Boulevard's Casa Grande.

And in My Big Fat Mouth he tracks down Terry Barkeley, formerly of Nara, way down south.

Lawrence Journal-World

In Jayni's Kitchen welcomes Chef T.K. Peterson of TEN.

And in a slightly less-appetizing vein, Gwyn Mellinger discusses food-borne illnesses and how to avoid them.

Present Magazine

Relish in Dulin & Co.'s take on the local market scene.

KCUR 89.3 FM

Join Walt Bodine as he welcomes the Food Critics at 10 a.m. tomorrow (Friday) morning. Go here and click Listen Live.

KCMO 710 AM

M.F.K. Fisher

KC Media Digest for week of April 26 - May 3, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Long a rite of spring, asparagus gets an Asian twist from Jill Silva in Eating for Life.

Lauren Chapin has found, with a bit of advanced planning, the once-exotic papaya can make a delicious treat and a great room freshener; and reviews the latest tome from our adopted Italian chef, Lidia Bastianich's Lidia's Italy.

Mary Pepitone introduces Sri Lankan cook Rashmi DePaepe in Come Into My Kitchen.

Doug Frost's Grape Escape features a Sicilian blend of Nero d'Avola and merlot.

In Business

Joyce Smith reports on the lasting legacy of the Gilbert Robinson empire.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin explores KC's options for the most important meal of the day.

The Pitch

Charles Ferruzza steals a peek at Brookside's new darling sushi spot Domo.

And in My Big Fat Mouth gives us a preview of the soon-to-open

Zebra Room at the recently renovated Holiday Inn Aladin Hotel.

Lawrence Journal-World

Susan Krumm on the perils of ill-conceived cheese substitutions.

On KCUR FM 89.3

The Food Critics join Walt Bodine at 10 a.m. this Friday. To listen

online go to their website and click

Listen Live.

On 710 KCMO (AM)

From Jasper's Kitchen, with Jasper Mirabile, 11am-noon Saturday. Go

here and click Listen Live.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

M.F.K. Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

KC Media Digest for week of May 10 - May 16, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Neil Salkind and Janet Majure on celebrity chefs, sites and blogs in the Online Epicure.

Jill Silva notes Celina Tio's recent Beard Award; gets to the kernel of whole grains in Eating For Life; and last, but certainly not least, an homage to a rainbow of salts.

Food TVs queen of butter paid a recent visit to Cowtown for a booksigning. Lauren Chapin visits with Paula Deen.

The Food Calendar is here and the Farmers Markets are listed here.

Doug Frost's Grape Escape for this week is a 2005 Santa Martina Rosso.

Business Section

Joyce Smith brings us various comings and goings in CityScape.

Preview Section

Eight years old and still living la vida loca, La Bodega gets another visit from critic Lauren Chapin.

The Pitch

Charles Ferruzza and his posse dine down at The Sunset Grill.

And in My Big Fat Mouth he bids auf wiedersehen to the Berliner Bear of Waldo.

Lawrence Journal-World

Susan Krumm offers low-sodium alternatives for marinades.

KCUR FM 89.3

The Food Critics join Walt Bodine at 10 a.m. this Friday. To listen online go to their website and click Listen Live.

710 KCMO (AM)

M.F.K. Fisher

KC Media Digest for week of May 17 - May 23, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Mary Pepitone introduces artist Beth Gresham in Come Into My Kitchen.

Jill Silva offers heavenly treats in Eating For Life.

The Food Calendar is here and the Farmers Markets are listed here.

Doug Frost's Grape Escape for this week is a Greek viognier.

Business Section

Joyce Smith visits Big Moma's Bakery & Cafe to find out how small businesses can make their dough rise; and finds an old familiar restaurateur starting a new drive-in in Lee's Summit.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin checks out our new churrascaria, En Chamas and finds much to moo about. And, in Good & Cheap, the latest iteration of the oft-changing Southwest Blvd's nod to the Taj Mahal, Casa Grande

The Pitch

Charles Ferruzza on Aladdin, one of the new entries onto the 39th Street scene (formerly Rumi).

My Big Fat Mouth is once again a fond farewell -- this time, Frondizi's closes, after failure to come to terms on a lease. Best of luck to Chef Linda Duerr, who will be joining JJ's kitchen after a vacation.

Lawrence Journal-World

Locavore and now media darling, Hilary Brown appears on this week's "Big Ideas for a Small Planet" (on the Sundance Channel).

710 KCMO (AM)

M.F.K. Fisher

KC Media Digest for week of May 24 - May 30, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

A special tribute to KC resident and Bon Appetit founder Frank Jones

Mary Pepitone vists Phil Maslin for a new twist on Memorial Day grilling in Come Into My Kitchen.

In Eating For Life, Jill Silva gives the skinny on pork loins.

Here are the Farmers Market listings; and click here for this week's Food Calendar.

Doug Frost's Grape Escape for this week is a rose from The Luberon.

Business Section

Joyce Smith provides updates on various local eateries.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin offers some ideas for keeping your cool this summer.

Elsewhere

The Pitch

Never afraid to take one for the team, Charles bravely goes where none of us has mustered the courage to dine - T-Rex.

My Big Fat Mouth we explore the world of food that now calls KC home.

Lawrence Journal-World

Terry Rombeck visits with area emu rancher

710 KCMO (AM)

M.F.K. Fisher

KC Media Digest for week of May 24 - May 30, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

A special tribute to KC resident and Bon Appetit founder Frank Jones

Mary Pepitone vists Phil Maslin for a new twist on Memorial Day grilling in Come Into My Kitchen.

In Eating For Life, Jill Silva gives the skinny on pork loins.

Here are the Farmers Market listings; and click here for this week's Food Calendar.

Doug Frost's Grape Escape for this week is a rose from The Luberon.

Business Section

Joyce Smith provides updates on various local eateries.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin offers some ideas for keeping your cool this summer.

The Pitch

Never afraid to take one for the team, Charles bravely goes where none of us has mustered the courage to dine - T-Rex.

My Big Fat Mouth we explore the world of food that now calls KC home.

KC Magazine

The reviews for both May and June have been posted online since last week. Click here to see G.E. Fellrath's take on Phillips Chop House and a general overview of steaks in Cowtown.

Lawrence Journal-World

Terry Rombeck visits with area emu rancher Ann Merkel.

Susan Krumm offers tips for grilling beef safely.

89.3 FM KCUR

The Food Critics return to the Walt Bodine Show. Click here to Listen Live

710 KCMO (AM)

M.F.K. Fisher

KC Media Digest for week of May 31 - June 6, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Jill Silva and her brood take a week-long food stamp challenge.

Mary Pepitone vists with Helen Darnall and daughter, Sandy Clark, and they share a recipe for magic marshmallow cinnamon rolls in Come Into My Kitchen.

The week's Food Calendar and Farmer's Market listings are not available online as of this writing.

Business Section

Joyce Smith notes Lawrence's Replay Lounge is honored in Esquire as one of the Best Bars in America and sounds the final death knell of the restaurant formerly known as SORedux; updates us on various moves, adds and changes around town; the latest chain link to join Power & Light District.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin revisits the venerable institution known to local 'cue fan as simply AB's - Arthur Bryant's for those less fortunately located.

And, in Good & Cheap, hits the ready-made aisle of Overland Park's Whole Foods.

The Pitch

Charles Ferruzza and friends do a little Seoul searching at Chosun Korean BBQ.

My Big Fat Mouth bids a fond adieu to Europa Cafe & Bakery - under its present owners.

Lawrence Journal-World

Not sure whether to keep it or toss it? Terry Rombeck has some advice for foods without "born on" dates

Susan Krumm tells us how to build a healthier scone.

And Jayni Carey teaches a new kind of chicken dance on Jayni's Kitchen.

Present Magazine

Michelle O'Brien heads to one of my favorite City Market destinations, The Chinatown Food Market.

710 KCMO (AM)

M.F.K. Fisher

KC Media Digest for week of June 7-13, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Jill Silva offers a recipe for fresh, light lemony orzo in Eating For Life; and check out her serialized food stamp experience: Day One, Day Two.

Think you make a mean cocktail? Enter the Drench Your Thirst contest. Let's try to bring home a winner for eG.

Lauren Chapin steps Into the Vietnamese Kitchen for some light reading.

Mary Pepitone introduces Joan O'Keefe, mother, registered dietitian, and co-author of The Forever Young Diet and Lifestyle in Come Into My Kitchen.

The Farmers Markets are all up and running - check 'em out!

Gail Borelli on the pleasures of making your own fresh flavor-infused liqueurs.

Doug Frost recommends a an obscure Rivola in Grape Escape.

Business Section

Joyce Smith brings us up to date on restaurant comings and goings.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin takes some young students through the paces of French 101 at Cafe de Provence.

Lauren gets some late-night Cancun Fresh in Westport - it's Good & Cheap.

The Pitch

Charles Ferruzza pays his first visit to Lill's since she lost her "y" to the Marriott Corporation.

My Big Fat Mouth has the 4-1-1 on The Drug Store in Smithville and the new chef at Phillips Chophouse.

Lawrence Journal-World

Susan Krumm looks into the iced tea/salmonilla situation.

Jayni Carey goes southwesternon Jayni's Kitchen.

And Gwen Mellinger brakes for vegetable gardens.

Present Magazine

Pete Dulin reinforces what most of us already know - it's important to take notes if you're writing-up a seven-course wine dinner; this one took place at Avenues Bistro in Brookside.

KCUR FM89.3

The irascible Food Critics turnip (:shock:) again for the Walt Bodine show. Click Listen Live.

710 KCMO (AM)

From Jasper's Kitchen, with Jasper Mirabile, 11am-noon Saturday. Go here and click Listen Live OR go to the Italian Festa and Zona Rosa, from which he'll be broadcasting.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

[Digester's Note: Sorry to be so late in posting this week. In a modern-day twist on the old "dog ate my homework" excuse, my tuxedo cat (the one we call Kobe, for those who read the limerick contest) wiped out the almost-completed first version Thursday and this is the first chance I have had to re-do it.]

KC Media Digest for week of June 14-20, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Jill Silva offers wonders what all the fuss is about rhubarb.

Mary Pepitone visits Chef Bob Brassard and his son, Karson, and discovers the "acorn doesn't fall far from the tree."

Doug Frost demysties the process of tasting wine in a restaurant; and introduces us to Morgan Winery's Metallico, an unoaked chardonnay.

The Food Calendar is here; the Farmers Market listings here.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin consistently finds fault with the expansion efforts of The Thai Place; the lastest to let her down is in The Northland. Happily we, the ignorant dining public with less-discerning palates, continue to enjoy and support them.

And, in Good & Cheap, we learn that Yummy's is now Zaki's.

Business Section

Downtown institution Danny Edwards' BBQ is making way for progress; fortunately he's found a new home on SW Boulevard. If only the Stroud's owners were so decisive!

The Pitch

Charles Ferruzza, like George Costanza before him, frets when worlds collide at Cafe Cedar at The Skillet.

And in My Big Fat Mouth, he finally finds a fried food that he doesn't especially like: fried corn-on-the-cob at Bandana's BBQ.

Lawrence Journal-World

Stan Ring of the Extension Service says there's fungus among us but watch which ones you eat.

Terry Rombeck on the humble spud.

Gwen Mellinger anxiously awaits the stinking rose and other alliums.

Susan Krumm dispels the myth of baby carrots and, in other breaking news, we learn there is no Tooth Fairy.

An early Father's Day gift to her husband, Frank :wink: , Jayni Carey presents the best of the breast on Jayni's Kitchen.

Props to the LJW for their recent food offerings. This weary digester appreciates the improvement in scope and quality!

710 KCMO (AM)

M.F.K. Fisher

KC Media Digest for week of June 21-27, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Jill Silva (who, apparently, hasn't seen the light of Rancho Gordo's fine products) offers a redux version of baked beans in Eating For Life.

Preview Section

It didn't take long for the former Circe's doors to reopen; Lauren Chapin says Po's Dumplings is off to a good start.

And in Good & Cheap, she recommends lunch at The Drum Room, in The President Hotel.

Business Section

Joyce Smith brings news of another chain at The Legends, and a new indie Cajun restaurant in Cityscape; today's paper features an overview of the hottest spot in KC, The Crossroads; and reports a couple of new additions to Power & Light District.

The Pitch

Proving that it's not all fun and games being a food critic, Charles Ferruzza finds things somewhat lacking at Fritz Co. Grille.

And in My Big Fat Mouth, we learn of a dirty little secret of some less scrupulous restaurateurs.

Lawrence Journal-World

Although it's really just starting to appear in markets, soon the annual zucchini glut will be upon us. Susan Krumm offers preemptive advice.

Jayni Carey welcomes long-time fixture in the Lawrence food scene "Buffalo" Bob Schumm and his wife, Sandra, for Argentinian Asado on Jayni's Kitchen.

Present Magazine

Present Magazine previews the second biannual Urban Farm Tour that I would be on, but for an evil virus.

M.F.K. Fisher

KC Media Digest for week of June 28-July 4, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Here is this week's Food Calendar; and here is the week's listing of Farmers Markets.

Lauren Chapin on maturing and the love of beets.

Mary Pepitone joins Cindy Ketcher of Overland Park just in time for the weekly Friday pizza party in Come Into My Kitchen.

Doug Frost recommends a rose from the Luberon in Grape Escapes.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin reviews The Drop at Martini Corner and visits Teocali in the Hospital Hill area for Good & Cheap.

Business Section

Joyce Smith shares various comings and goings; and treats us to a fine summary of the beehive that is The Crossroads.

The Pitch

Charles "Flaming Banana" Ferruzza and friends head up north to check out the Liberda's lastest Thai Place;

then he heads to the The Oak Street Coffee Shop for My Big Fat Mouth.

Lawrence Journal-World

Gwen Mellinger on the dynamic duo of summer, tomatoes and basil.

Terry Rombeck introduces the newest member of the Zen Zero/La Parilla family, a pizza joint called Genovese in the old Mass St. Deli space.

A K-State researcher thinks herbs and spices may mitigate the carcinogenic threat of grilled foods.

Phil Toevs is bbq-ing in Jayni's Kitchen.

Present Magazine

Pete Dulin visits with renaissance man Dave Crum to learn about heirloom tomatoes featured at numerous local, indie restaurants including bluestem, where he holds down the fort as Chef de Cuisine when he's not working on his parents' farm.

KCMO 710-AM

Join Chef Jasper Mirabile from Jasper's Kitchen. Go here and click on Listen Live.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

KC Media Digest for week of June 6 - July 13, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Food Calendar and Farmers Market listings are not available online as of this writing.

Jill Silva serves up a Garrozzo's-style favorite with a light twist - chicken spiedini highlights Eating For Life.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin lets her guard down and enjoys a vegan dessert at The Bluebird Bistro.

Also, in Good & Cheap she agreed with our own Zeemanb on the merits of midtown newcomer Cafe Cuba.

Business Section

Joyce Smith shares some comings and goings around town.

The Pitch

Charles Ferruzza & Company indulge themselves at Seven, Victor Fontana's latest whimsy.

My Big Fat Mouth disclaims rumors that latest 39th Street comer, Spitfire Grill might be a link in something larger.

Lawrence Journal-World

Cooking with the magic of the vine on [iJayni's Kitchen.

Gwyn Mellinger in praise of the practicality of gas grills.

Susan Krumm finds that Splenda lacks sugar's sense of self preservation.

KCUR FM 89.3

Walt Bodine welcomed the Food Critics back this morning; it should be available in the Archives in a couple of days for all of us who missed it.

KCMO 710 AM

Join Chef Jasper Mirabile from Jasper's Kitchen. Go here and click on Listen Live.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 3 weeks later...

KC Media Digest for week of July 19-25, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Roxanne Wyss and Kathryn Moore find that, when it comes to make-ahead frozen dinner parties, many hands make light work.

The current Farmers Market listings are here; no Food Calendar online this week.

Jill Silva finds an unlikely ally in the battle for portion control: sliders in Eating For Life.

Doug Frost, local wine expert and by all accounts a "glass half-full" optimist brings us a rare convenient truth about global warming.

Mary Jo Pepitone visits retired teacher Paula Fagan and comes away with her famous peanut butter ball recipe.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin experiments with a liquid diet and reviews the KC cocktail scene.

And if you're looking for some lighter refreshment, just think pink.

Business Section

The big news around these parts this week is IHOP's purchase of KC-based Applebee's. All of the online accounts of the transaction currently require registration, and I'm not going to link to a commercial website in this digest, but if you google "Tyler Florence + syrup" you might be able to find something. :wink:

Joyce Smith with the 4-1-1 on the rest of KC's restaurant biz.

The Pitch

At Cafe Zen in Leavenworth Charles Ferruzza has given up the notion of restaurant dining as a source of spiritual enlightenment. How sad.

He seems to contradict himself in My Big Fat Mouth when he mentions one of my earliest places of food worship (the original NuWay in Wichita) in a tribute to drive-ins.

Lawrence Journal-World

Gwyn Mellinger waxes poetic about the yellow beans known as Golditos.

Terry Rombeck visits with the owner of Lawrence's answer to starwich, ingredient.

I might have to hit the road to catch this week's In Jayni's Kitchen: a trip to the farmers market and cooking with chefs Ken Baker and Armando Paniauga.

Present Magazine

Pete Dulin goes to nara for some robata and an urban vibe.

KCUR FM 89.3

Walt Bodine welcomed the Food Critics back on Friday morning; it should be available in the Archives in shortly for those who missed it. The focus was on downtown restaurants present, on the eve of the chain invasion that will be P&L. I urge you to listen to the show and join the Critics in making it a habit to support them!

KCMO 710 AM

M.F.K. Fisher

KC Media Digest for week of July 26-August 1, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

The winners of the first cocktail contest (IIRC) enjoy their 15 minutes of well-deserved fame.

Tandoori Beef -- it's what's for dinner. Jill Silva shows you how in Eating For Life.

Business Section

Joyce Smith brings us up-to-date in Kansas City with her City Scape.

The Pitch

Charles Ferruzza reminds us that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I plan to go to the Zebra Room at the Aladdin Hotel for my second visit tomorrow. Join me soon, won't you, and let's keep the indies alive in downtown KCMO!

And just to help us avoid repeating mistakes, My Big Fat Mouth offers a bit from which to learn.

Lawrence Journal-World

Rob String on the front lines of the attack that is killing tomatoes.

Terry Rombeck on a Nebraska native who eats ham and jam and Spamalot! and has the credentials to prove it. I should recruit him for our AR BBQ team.

In Jayni's Kitchen discovers the wonder of grilling with lavender, as did we a couple of years ago in Sonoma. If it sounds good and you need a source for culinary lavendar (different from the perfume variety) pm me; if you grow it, use the "chaff" (stems) as you would smoking wood (but gently).

Gwen Mellinger with some kitchen seasonal tips.

Present Magazine

Check out the ever-changing and always interesting food & drink low-down on Present Magazine (online).

KC Magazine

China Clipper calling Alameda . . . Fellrath, are you out there? Come out, come out, wherever you are. We need you!

KCMO 710 AM

M.F.K. Fisher

KC Media Digest for week of August 2-8, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Lauren Chapin on the restorative powers of watermelon.

Media darling ratatouille co-stars with pasta in Jill Silva's Eating For Life.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin gives the vital statistics of the new Michael Smith; and checks out reader-recommended Lucia's in Liberty.

Business Section

Joyce Smith on The Studio soon to open at 11th & McGee; and demystifying the process of restaurant inspection.

The Pitch

Scotty's on 39th can live up to - and live down - it's own former reputation. Chales Ferruzza and friends explain.

My Big Fat Mouth revisits the many ways of handling server stress.

And in Featured News newly expanded Boulevard Brewing Company is giving interlopers a bully good fight for local taps, but competition is stiff.

Lawrence Journal-World

Gwen Mellinger with another look at this month's star, the tomato (of course).

In Jayni's Kitchen we see the second installment of the California Wine Country tour.

If you're looking forward to sampling the wares at a county or state fair, don't read this article by Susan Krumm.

Present Magazine

Present visits newly expanded City Market fav Succotash.

KCUR 89.3 FM

Walt Bodine visited with the Food Critics this morning. It will be posted in the archives in the next couple of days at their website.

KCMO 710 AM

This week he joins us from the Farrand Farms Tomato Fest, where he will be joined by the inimitable Charles "Onion Ring" Ferruzza and other less-food-related local celebs.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 4 weeks later...

KC Media Digest for week of August 2-8, 2007

The Kansas City Star

Food Section

Lauren Chapin reviews The Cheese Lover's Companion.

Gail Borelli shares recipes for homemade catsups and mustards and some of them are real wieners.

Mary Jo Pepitone visits with Clayton Crout who applies his eye for quality to his seafood chowder and other treats.

In Eating for Life Jill Silva offers a recipe for cold Asian-inspired noodles and suggests reading peanut butter labels carefully.

Preview Section

Lauren Chapin braves the "ladies who lunch" to review a local treasure The Webster House; and disses one of my favorite characters, Eb, when she visits Green Acres.

Business Section

Joyce Smith provides a list of lessees for the Corbin Park center, including a second Caliente Cuban.

Mary Sanchez confirms the sad truth that Napoleon Bakery is no more.

The Pitch

If a restaurant rut has you feeling blue, Charles Ferruzza says head to Azul, a small-but-mighty eatery at 1108 Grand; and follows-up with more downtown dish in My Big Fat Mouth

Lawrence Journal-World

Gwen Mellinger with another look at this month's star, the tomato (of course).

In Jayni's Kitchen we see the second installment of the California Wine Country tour.

Jennifer Oldridge offers a primer of wine in the Sunflower State.

Terry Rombeck on the state of fruits and vegetables.

Susan Krumm with some timely advice on canning salsa.

Present Magazine

Pete Dulin pays dog days homage to le <hot dog>.

KCMO 710 AM

Chef Jasper Mirabile from Jasper's Kitchen delivers his weekly audio nosh at 11 Satuday a.m.

M.F.K. Fisher