• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants that use charcoal?

BBQ Brian

So, since the rain has started to really fall and I have acquired a palate for tasty grilled things, does anyone know of restaurants in Vancouver area that use charcoal to cook?

Brian

House of Q

Edited by BBQ Brian (log)

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

For something different, try Zakkushi Charcoal Grill at 823 Denman Street (west side of the street, 1 1/2 blocks south of Robson, right by the Dairy Queen).

transfattyacid posted his review on this thread in January. I've only been once myself... that was a couple of months ago now, but I enjoyed it just as much as tfa did and have been meaning to head back again. Grilled food on a stick. Mmmmm.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

For something different, try Zakkushi Charcoal Grill at 823 Denman Street (west side of the street, 1 1/2 blocks south of Robson, right by the Dairy Queen).

transfattyacid posted his review on this thread in January.  I've only been once myself... that was a couple of months ago now, but I enjoyed it just as much as tfa did and have been meaning to head back again.  Grilled food on a stick.  Mmmmm.

you beat me to it, moosh! we love zakkushi. one of the must haves is the jyako (sp?) salad. thinly sliced daikon and cucumber with an ume vinagrette. lip smacking good!

lemme know, anytime you wanna go :wink:

Quentina

Is anyone in Vancouver doing outdoor meat grilling (covered for the rain, of course) in the Argentine tradition?

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Wow, I didn't know we were even allowed to cook on coals here for air quality/health board, etc, etc, though I think I saw some little hibachi style cookers at a Korean place on Denman.

Savory Coast cooks a lot of their food in a wood fired brick oven, it's delicious and you can taste the wood. Can you taste charcoal when cooking on coal?

IMO you'd have to have a pretty good palate to sense the difference between wood-smoked and charcoal-with-wood-smoked foods. They wood (hee hee) taste very similar however still different from a gas grill.

I've been to the Weber Restaurant in Chicago and everything is cooked on massive 42" charcoal kettles - inside the restaurant! Flavor is over the top and well one of my motivations when I am at my grill or smoker. That's the flavor I crave.

Chemical stuff? Let's leave that to when you have no time and you are trying to imitate something that really shouldn't be imitated... ever had pasta out of a can?

Thanks for the ideas. I've added a few to the "gotta go" list.

Brian

House of Q

Edited by BBQ Brian (log)

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

Is anyone in Vancouver doing outdoor meat grilling (covered for the rain, of course) in the Argentine tradition?

Memo

Memo,

I use alot of charcoal year-round doing slow-smoke meats - in the rain, snow, wind, blaring heat, whatever. As for Argentine tradition you ask, I can only reply with a nice Brazilian cut of sirloin (and yes, it is different) with salt, of course.

Samba on Alberni is the closest around to the real South American thing though.

Brian

www.houseofq.com

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

Just ate at Zakushi for lunch - charcoal is for dinner/evening menu. The staff indicated to the best of their knowledge, they are the only Japanese restaurant in Canada using charcoal - a few in the US but none in Canada.

Tremendous flavor and value-for-money on the lunch menu though.

Brian

houseofq.com

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com