• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brown Liquor for Baking

onehsancare

I'm not a big fan of brown liquor (bourbon, rye, whiskey, etc.), but I enjoy their tastes in my baked goods. Since I don't drink them, I have no idea about their relative qualities. Usually, a recipe will call for a specific type of liquor, so I can narrow the field of possible ingredients (cognac isn't whiskey, right? :wink: ), but I always feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark.

I'd love some direction on what liquors you use in baking and for which purposes--top shelf, specific brands? and (if you want) your favorite recipes using them.

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

Oh .. strongly suggest you post this query in the spirits forum, as well. As someone who does drink and appreciate a wide variety of whiskeys, whiskys and brandies (which covers the bulk of your "brown liquors"), but the spirits forum has your world class hands down serious drink experts, a number of whom are also clearly fabulous cooks (and probably bakers) and might have much to offer.

The bottom line, it seems to me, though, is ... it's like any ingredient: if you're going to use it, you have to find a way to come to it on its terms and understand its varieties, nuance, flavors and uses -- or just the way it works even for the uses you have in mind (which heaven knows are noble!). There is no all-purpose brown liquor to any greater degree (probably less) than there is all-purpose chocolate or red wine.There is such a huge variation in taste in brown liquors that some will be right for some things, others for others (and some not at all, of course.) Pecan pie + Knob Creek makes perfect sense: flavors that evolved side by side in time and place. Other combinations (pecan pie + Laphroig, for and extreme example) would be appalling.

Am eager to see the recipes, myself :)

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

I'm not a big fan of brown liquor (bourbon, rye, whiskey, etc.), but I enjoy their tastes in my baked goods. Since I don't drink them, I have no idea about their relative qualities.  Usually, a recipe will call for a specific type of liquor, so I can narrow the field of possible ingredients (cognac isn't whiskey, right?  :wink: ), but I always feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark.

I'd love some direction on what liquors you use in baking and for which purposes--top shelf, specific brands? and (if you want) your favorite recipes using them.

Not sure what I'd recommend for straight up whiskey, but certainly for bourbon I'd suggest Knob Creek for its assertive flavor and for rum I'd suggest either Myers or Goslings for their assertive flavors as well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Not sure what I'd recommend for straight up whiskey, but certainly for bourbon I'd suggest Knob Creek for its assertive flavor and for rum I'd suggest either Myers or Goslings for their assertive flavors as well.

I agree. I would stick to bourbon and rum. They both do well in cooking.

Oh, and by Goslings Katie means "Black Seal", though the "gold" will work too, just less so.

If you're going to be baking -- which is to say, actually cooking with the booze rather than soaking it in after the fact -- you want something with a strong taste, but also something that doesn't cost very much. Any subtle flavors are going to be lost in the cooking process.

So, for rum I'd suggest something like Myers. It's not very expensive and it has a very strong rum flavor.

For bourbon, I'd suggest you go with whatever is least expensive. There are laws regulating what can be sold as bourbon, and any of the cheap ones will have enough flavor for baking purposes. Although something like the Knob Creek that Katie recommends has a great depth and intensity of flavor, I'm not sure this makes up for the fact that it will be more than twice as expensive compared to the cheap stuff, and I'm not sure that a cake with Knob Creek will taste all that different from a cake made with Heaven Hill.

I wouldn't recommend baking with rye, because I don't think any of its special character would come through. That said, Old Overholt is a quality product and well priced.

If you want to use scotch, maybe to soak a trifle or fruitcake after baking, just pick up a reasonably priced blended. I like Famous Grouse.

--

The only thing you seem to be missing is a brandy or cognac.

I don't know enough about the various Cognac brands to give specific advice; but, I think any of the well known brands' V.S. bottlings would be fine.

I should think Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy might be fun to play with in the kitchen, as well, especially for fall themed items.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Yea... I'm not sure brandy or cognac would really come through and make much of a distinctive contribution in a baked item.

I know I've used brandy or cognac for some baking in the past.

Fruitcake, maybe? Or some Julia Child recipe?

Of course, I do come from WI, where brandy is the liquor of choice!

:raz:

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I'm not sure if this qualifies since it isn't always brown but:

Meyer's Rum

I'm a drinker though, which makes my choices easier: if I won't drink it, I don't use it.

And remember, if you buy cheap liquor, you get what you pay for. Don't wonder why the flavor tastes wimpy.

Maybe it's because I am such a heavy pourer, but for my holiday baking you can most certainly taste what sort of booze I've used. For my pecan tart I always use Maker's Mark and the pumpkin pie is made with brandy. The one year I used rum in the pumpkin pie instead of brandy everyone asked why it tasted different. It could be that it's more noticable because I do it starting with a pumpkin, eggs and cream, so it's a lighter, more custardy type thing, spiced with ceylon cinnamon and white pepper, but you can taste the flavors of the brandy (Jepson or RMS usually).

If you are not a drinker, I'd suggest just buying the mini bottles for your recipes, that way you could experiment with what you liked and not worry about storage.

regards,

trillium

For bourbon, I'd suggest you go with whatever is least expensive. There are laws regulating what can be sold as bourbon, and any of the cheap ones will have enough flavor for baking purposes. Although something like the Knob Creek that Katie recommends has a great depth and intensity of flavor, I'm not sure this makes up for the fact that it will be more than twice as expensive compared to the cheap stuff, and I'm not sure that a cake with Knob Creek will taste all that different from a cake made with Heaven Hill.

I think this depends on the application, too. I was thinking for a Bourbon hard sauce or something like that where the flavor of the Bourbon is quite pronounced the more expensive Knob Creek would be good. However, the Heaven Hill is a major league bargain that I forgot about and would certainly be fine in either a sauce or in a baked product like a pecan pie.

I'm thinking of making an Asian pear tarte tatin or something similar for Thanksgiving dinner and maybe a Bourbon Butterscotch sauce would be good on the side. If this experiment carries through I'll let you all know what I used and how it worked out.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

I just had some truffles made with Rye, and Peychaud Bitters, Yes they were inspired by a cocktail. And they were fantastic. So I must disagree with Sam on the specialness of Rye not coming through. Bourbon is so much sweeter than Rye.

And for Burbon I think something with less medicinal/iodine qualities might hold better with the sweetness of most baked goods. Makers, Old Forrester, MMM can I say Woodford?

This is not baking, but I put just a dribble of Apple jack into my thanksgiving day gravey. It turned out wicked.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

So, for rum I'd suggest something like Myers.  It's not very expensive and it has a very strong rum flavor.

Seconded. This is great stuff for cooking. Try making a sauce using rum and apricot with a hint of chilli and saffron. Good with white fish