• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Rinds (Filipino)?

Chanteuse

Does anyone know of an online source where I could purchase such a thing. ( I know I could make them, but I'm looking for something already made and bagged)

I believe that this is a typical Filipino snack.

I've started Googling and looking through "Asian" online stores but haven't had luck YET.

Thanks in advance!!

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. - Maya Angelou

Here's a link to a previous thread that might be of some assistance: Tito Al's Choice Cracklins, I Feel like Chicken Tonight.

Good luck tracking these down!

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Oh, Stef (stef_foodie on eG) just made some for the Filipino food blogging event. She says it's akin to cooking bacon.

Here's a link to Stef's version Lasang Pinoy 3: Streetfood: Tsitsarong Balat ng Manok

Chicharron may have been inherited from the Spaniards/Mexicans but it has been embraced so well by Filipinos, there are now so many variations of chicharon perhaps found only in the country - chicharong bulaklak = made from pig's intestines, snail chicharon, etc., etc.

Your best bet would be to visit a local Filipino grocery store or restaurant.

But really, it's much better if you make it yourself. I, personally, prefer the deep-fry method so I can lightly dust the skins with some cornstarch (makes them extra crispy). Sprinkle with salt, and dip in ketchup. Nothings better!

Some of my mother's former clients used to work for a chicken-processing plant. They would gift her with chicken skins from all those boneless skinless chicken breasts. Those were the good old days!

Oh, Stef (stef_foodie on eG) just made some for the Filipino food blogging event. She says it's akin to cooking bacon.

Here's a link to Stef's version Lasang Pinoy 3: Streetfood: Tsitsarong Balat ng Manok

:wub: I've made Jewish-style gribenes any number of times as a byproduct of rendering schmaltz--this sounds like a very intriguing (and yummy!) alternate approach. One of these days I need to get some chicken skin and experiment.

• 11 months later...

Hi MizDucky, did you ever try those chicken skins cooked Filipino style? If you have, we'd love to read what you to have say about it.

Lasang Pinoy 15 just launched with the theme "Recycled, Reloaded" -- it's about the creative ways Filipinos use up leftovers. But the blogging event isn't limited to Filipinos only -- all lovers of Filipino food, or those just trying out our wonderful dishes, are welcome. Thought I might as well extend the invitation here.

The Lasang Pinoy 15 announcement can be found here:

Lasang Pinoy 15: Recycled, Reloaded

Come join us!

And as an FYI to everyone, in case there are still some of you looking, Filipino pork rinds are found in Asian stores, of course, but in case you don't have one near you, try the chips section of your local grocery. There are some great varieties, usually made in the South (US). Also ones made in Mexico. A Nicaraguan friend once prepared a salad for us, topped with the same chicharrones as he called them.

stefoodie.net - now a wheatless, eggless, dairyless food blog

noodlesandrice.com (with b5media)

bakingdelights.com (with b5media, and my 15-yo-dd)