• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hazelnut flour

duckduck

I picked up some hazelnut flour recently because I had a recipe a long while back that asked for it and now I can't find the recipe or remember what it was. I'll keep looking but does anyone have any recipes that ask for hazelnut flour? What do you use it for? I'm sure I'll come up with something but I was curious to see if anyone here has any ideas.

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Oh my, I can think of zillions of ideas.

Hazelnut Torte

1 cup ground hazelnuts

1/4 cup flour

pinch salt

6 eggs, separated

2/3 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 325, grease the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.

Combine ground hazelnuts, flour, salt.

In a bowl beat the egg yolks and 1/3 cup sugar until thick (ribbon stage, 3-5 mins). Fold in the hazelnut mixture.

Beat the egg whites until foamy, add the remaining sugar a little bit at a time and beat to soft peaks. Fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture.

Put batter into prepared pan and bake until top is beginning to brown, ~35 minutes.

Run a knife arond the inside of the pan and let cool. The cake will sink, this is to be expected. Serve with whipped cream.

Now, you can also sub the hazelnut flour for almond flour, which is called for in many European recipes. The first one that comes to mind is the super easy French cake Gateau au Yaourt, or yogurt cake. Or a simple Pear Cake. I bet Chufi would have other ideas, check her Dutch cooking thread.

I also have an old recipe for hazelnut butter cookies, the thumbprint kind, that are yummy.

I picked up some hazelnut flour recently because I had a recipe a long while back that asked for it and now I can't find the recipe or remember what it was. I'll keep looking but does anyone have any recipes that ask for hazelnut flour? What do you use it for? I'm sure I'll come up with something but I was curious to see if anyone here has any ideas.

You can use it like almond flour - in a tart or pie crust. It works particularly well with apple pie.

Lots of Austrian/Hungarian desserts use finely ground hazelnuts in the cake dough similar to what M.Lucia mentions above or else in a meringue type "japonais" layer or in cookie dough. The ground hazelnuts can also be used to flavor buttercreams. There is also the Linzer Torte. And skimming in Rick Rodger's "Kaffehaus" I see a nice recipe for a Hazelnut Roulade (ground hazelnuts in the spongecake and filled with a mocha creme.

Nice hazelnut desserts from Northern Italy as well. I recently made a nice tart with a ground hazelnut and chocolate filling.

Thanks for the recipe, M.Lucia! The hazelnut butter cookies sound terrific as well.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

hazelnut financiers. Even better - poach some pears in white wine and spices, pipe some finanicer batter in the bottom of individual baking dishes, slice pears keeping the stem end intact, fan and place on top of financier batter, bake until golden, serve warm with ice cream (praline or caramel or even my fav - rosemary).

You can toast it slightly in the oven and then use it in biscotti, along with some coarsely-chopped and toasted hazelnuts. Divine!

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

I haven't had a chance to dig up my thumbprint recipe, but chefblue posted this recipe in another thread that is very similar. I hope he doesn't mind if I quote here:

i dug up a recipe for hazelnut butter cookies that i used to make - as i remember, they're rich & delicious  :smile:

Hazelnut Butter Cookies

cream together until light & fluffy:

12 oz. unsalted butter

3 1/4 oz. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

stir in:

3 1/2 oz. toasted hazelnuts, finely ground

stir in just until combined:

12 oz. AP flour

immediately transfer dough to pastry bag, fitted with large open star tip. pipe into rosettes about 1 1/2" in diameter.  make in deep indentation in the center of cookies with your thumb, or the floured end of a wooden dowel. bake at 325 until firm to the touch & lightly browned. cool completely. fill centers of cookies with warm melted chocolate & allow to set completely.

you can also just roll them into balls instead of piping and you can fill them with jam or caramel