• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

where little saigon used to be

tommy

I'll be driving past there in about 10 minutes. I will take a peek and report back later or tomorrow.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Didn't realize that Thai Essence was in the former LS location; I've heard good things about it from folks who live in Nutley, but haven't been yet.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I don't know what to make of it but when I drove by last night there was a red flashing sign that said "Open" ;)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Had a very good meal at Thai Essence tonight. I had to stop by and try it as I've been waiting for a Thai restaurant to open up close to my home.

To start off I had the Green Papaya salad, which is a good rendition that included two squares of grilled banana-leaf-wrapped sticky rice that were toasted on the outside. I still prefer Wondee's version, as this version didn't have that nice funky tasting dried shredded shrimp added to it. It was still very good though.

For entree I had the Wild Boar which was really good. The dish contained boar tenderloin with shiitake mushrooms, thai basil, really good quality pickled green peppercorns, slivers of hot pepper (suprisingly spicy), slivers of some sort of rhizome that tasted like a mix between galanga and ginger (very nice). Definitely a dish I would order again.

I also ordered a spicy duck salad to go for my girlfriend which I later sampled and found it to be pretty decent - I've had better at River Kwai and Wondee's.

All in all, it was a good meal and I would definitely return again. It seems the sort of fusion that they are attemping is similar to what Origin is doing. If you enjoy Origin, than you probably will like this restaurant.

I took some take-out menus and can post them if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

The lunch menu was far less varied than the dishes Adam mentioned, but everything we had was very good. Very nice steamed mussles and chicken curry puff with excellent flaky pastry dough. The pad thai was pretty standard, but very fresh tasting. Delicious carrot soup as well. The dinner menu looks great, I will definitely be back to try that. Here is their website: www.tessencenj.com.