• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Little Pie Co.

avocado

I'm thinking of ordering the sour cream apple pie from The Little Pie Company (www.littlepiecompany.com) for Thanksgiving. I saw it in Rachel Ray's magazine (someone else's copy, I swear!) and it looks delicious.

Anyone ever have a pie from here? They're pretty expensive and I'd like to know ahead of time if it's worth the price.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

Haven't ordered but just perused their website .. at $50+ per pie ... out of town shipping adds up! .. it is highly unlikely that I will order anytime soon. :huh:

They have articles on their pies in the NYT and WSJ, they say, so I imagine the pies are noteworthy .. but $50? :rolleyes: Not me!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

If they bake it on Monday, ship Tuesday/Wednesday, and you are not going to eat it until Thursday, you're eating a FOUR day old pie, best scenario. Personally, I wouldn't want to celebrate with a pie that's three days past its prime, much less pay over $50 for the priviledge.

Fruit pies can be frozen uncooked and baked unthawed on Thanksgiving morning, or, if you don't have two ovens, on Wednesday night.

If you don't bake, or don't want to, I'd look for something closer to home or with a better "shelf life".

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

If they bake it on Monday, ship Tuesday/Wednesday, and you are not going to eat it until Thursday, you're eating a FOUR day old pie, best scenario.  Personally, I wouldn't want to celebrate with a pie that's three days past its prime, much less pay over $50 for the priviledge.

Fruit pies can be frozen uncooked and baked unthawed on Thanksgiving morning, or, if you don't have two ovens, on Wednesday night. 

If you don't bake, or don't want to, I'd look for something closer to home or with a better "shelf life".

they used to be pretty good pies when they first opened but they were also less expensive. factoring in the high price for the pie and the cost of shipping you could definitely do better for quality

Rachel Ray eats $50 pies? WTF?

That just screams against everything $40 a day stands for!

Surely you aren't suggesting that RR violates the $40/day principle in her daily life? Who knows: maybe she can live on one-half of a Mississippi Mud Pie each day. You'd still have $14/day for caffeine, cigarettes, and Thunderbird.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I'm thinking of ordering the sour cream apple pie from The Little Pie Company (www.littlepiecompany.com) for Thanksgiving. I saw it in Rachel Ray's magazine (someone else's copy, I swear!) and it looks delicious.

Anyone ever have a pie from here? They're pretty expensive and I'd like to know ahead of time if it's worth the price.

If you can get a sour cream apple walnut pie from LPC you must. must must must. Seventh day god created....that pie. I get it every year for thanksgiving and then yell at people who don't eat their own damn pumpkin...heh. sometimes I hide them in the basement...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Ive always enjoyed their pies. Apple ecspecially but they are all good. They bake everything right there. When a friend of mine became an american citizen we got a few apple pies and vanilla ice cream to celebrate and everyone loved them.

4 days old though i dont know. Are you close to manhattan avacado?

Nowhere near Manhattan- I'm in Wisconsin. I didn't stop to think that the pie really would be 4 days old. But after Luckylies' testimonial, I'm so torn!

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

Nowhere near Manhattan- I'm in Wisconsin. I didn't stop to think that the pie really would be 4 days old. But after Luckylies' testimonial, I'm so torn!

Sorry to hear that. Im away at my wifes family for thanksgiving or esle id fed ex the pies to you myself. They really are good. You should call and ask if they are frozen or what.

I loved the Little Pie's Company's products when I was living in Manhattan, especially the apple walnut sour cream pie. It's one of my favorite pies of all times. What's nice is that they sell the pies in different sizes, including small individual ones. That was dangerous!

I used to live a block from their shop/bakery on 43rd Street, and each week before Thanksgiving, it would be a joy to walk past their shop, as the air would be redolent of baking. It's especially nice on a cold night to walk into warm wafting aromas of baking pies.

I loved the Little Pie's Company's products when I was living in Manhattan, especially the apple walnut sour cream pie.  It's one of my favorite pies of all times.  What's nice is that they sell the pies in different sizes, including small individual ones.  That was dangerous!

I used to live a block from their shop/bakery on 43rd Street, and each week before Thanksgiving, it would be a joy to walk past their shop, as the air would be redolent of baking.  It's especially nice on a cold night to walk into warm wafting aromas of baking pies.

Ooh the little ones are so good. I used to go dancing at the club next door and i would smell them baking the pies when I was leaving. The next day, I'd always come back for pie... the key lime is also superb to eat while walking...hand-held pie :wub:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.