• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Deacon

Interchangeable Whiskey

I don't have a sophisticated enough palate to tell myself, and I've often wondered about this.

When a drinks recipe calls for bourbon, is it a mortal social sin to use Tennessee whiskey or Canadian whiskey instead?

I realize there are subtle differences in the distilling of each, but I've always thought of all three of these types

to be more-or-less interchangeable.

Also, when is it "whiskey" and when is it "whisky"? Are there any rules one way or the other?

I've always thought it didn't matter too much, but I don't want to offend any purists out there.

And then there's the question about what is "mash." I think Jack Daniels is technically a mash while Maker's Mark is a bourbon.

I know you really can't substitute Canadian Whiskey or Rye for Bourbon, there is a fairly substantial taste difference, (good bourbon is smoother)but I'm not sure about the Tennessee or Kentucky "whiskey or whisky."

Never try to make a Mint Julep on Kentucky Derby Day with anything but Kentucky stuff - that's like equine heresy.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

This whisky/whiskey thing is quite simple: If it comes from Scotland then it's "whisky". Otherwise it's "whiskey".

And apparently it's also "whisky" for Canadian Rye... just found that out right now.

Sign in to follow this