• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best meal under a hundred...

Daniel

Papya King or Crif, and you will have plenty left over. There is also always Shake Shack. Korean barbecue, is always good also.

Edit: and there is also 4.50 Buta Kakuni at Saka Gura.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

Two people can easily eat at Regional for under $100, and if you choose carefully, at Landmarc as well.

"A" is a good choice, too.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I ate lunch at Balthazaar--no booze-with my wife for 48 bucks before tip.

You can eat Vientamese at Pho Grand for 20 bucks. If we're talking ethnic food. this is an easy question:you can go nearly everywhere It's more fun if there's a chef in the kitchen with a degree from CIA or a guy from Japan with a mad knife collection. To whit, Ebisu on 9th between 1st and A. Not the best sushi in NYC but definitely good, smart, generous and unless you get carried away, less than a hundred bucks. I think Yumcha would have fit the bill. Prune certaily does.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

The wines served by the carafe at Balthazar are acceptable and there's no need to forego wine to stay under $100, although I don't know that I've done that with tax and tip included as well as wine unless we were just having hamburgers and sharing a salad. I suspect we'd have to skip coffee as well, which for us means espresso. It's very good espresso, well above restaurant average, but it's four bucks a shot. Hamburgers are excellent, by the way.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

You could eat an awful lot at the shake shack...

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

sort of a silly question.

you can eat anywhere you want in NYC except maybe 3 or 4 restaurants for less than $100 if you don't order alcohol

?

Yeah, but he asked about the BEST, right? I mean, you can eat in a diner for under $100 for two, but it's not necessarily the best.

You could do it at someplace like Bianca or Celeste if you were careful, too.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

easy...if your appetites aren't huge and you just have a glass of wine apiece....you could do the Bar Room at the Modern for that.

best bargain in the city.

I can not beleive I forgot about the BRaMoMa. Daniel if you have not been go. They have some new items. Plus they sell wine by the taste/glass/quartino(spl)/bottle. I do not think I have ever passed there and not stopped in.

I can not beleive I forgot about the BRaMoMa.

That abbreviation is ridiculous. I feel like it takes longer to type that out than to write the full name. I'm amused, nonetheless.

Sorry,

The Bar Room at The Modern at The Museum of Modern Art. :wacko:

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

I ate with a friend tonight at Seoul Garden, and it struck me that you can eat pretty damn well at a Korean restaurant for well under $100/person, including drinks (soju, beer, what have you). That might not be the first thought that comes to the minds of many of you, but I daresay it's not a bad thought, at that. :smile:

Michael aka "Pan"

sort of a silly question.

you can eat anywhere you want in NYC except maybe 3 or 4 restaurants for less than $100 if you don't order alcohol

I'll respectfully disagree. I lived in the NYC area from 1999 to late 2003 (I assume prices have risen a bit since then).

If we're talking about a dinner for two that includes two appetizers, two NON-alcoholic drinks (or one large bottle of mineral water to be shared), two entree's, two desserts, tax and a 20% tip..... there are many choices but not as many as implied.

I had more than a few shared meals that included only one app, two entree's, one dessert, mineral water and two coffee's. It invariably came to about $100 or a bit more for two after tax and tip were added in.

But if one eschews alcohol (at least when dining out) and opts for either appetizer or dessert but not both... ther's a huge array of great places to eat in NYC under $100.

Two people can easily eat at Regional for under $100, and if you choose carefully, at Landmarc as well.

"A" is a good choice, too.

Bergerka,

Again on your rec.. We went to A.. It was lovely.. If someone doesnt beat me to starting a thread, I will post my thoughts and photos by tonight... Either way, another solid place..

Respect.

Edited by Daniel (log)

I ate with a friend tonight at Seoul Garden, and it struck me that you can eat pretty damn well at a Korean restaurant for well under $100/person, including drinks (soju, beer, what have you). That might not be the first thought that comes to the minds of many of you, but I daresay it's not a bad thought, at that. :smile:

I'm a Seoul Garden fan, I wholeheartedly agree, and as many of them are 24hour, Ktown is often one of the only options for a night owl like myself...

Edited by raji (log)

. . .  if you choose carefully, at Landmarc . . .

Landmarc has small and very inexpensive desserts allowing you to have a complete (three course) meal at a budget price. I often find dessert-less meals unsatisfying and Landmarc allows you to have just that little bit to fit small appetites and small budgets. Of course choosing the other courses carefully is the key. What you can also do at Landmark is have a half bottle of wine at less than what most restaurants will charge for two glasses of a wine that's probably inferior. Landmarc has a very nice selection of half bottles and the markup is unbelievably minimal. Two half bottles might be no more than a dollar or two more than the full bottle and the full bottle is likely to be a bargain. It seems a shame to eat at Landmarc and not have wine. Although the food is reasonably priced, it's the wine list that makes Landmard a bargain.

I suppose my prejudice is showing in this thread. A "meal" without wine, is not really a meal, it's just feeding myself.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

It seems a shame to eat at Landmarc and not have wine. Although the food is reasonably priced, it's the wine list that makes Landmarc a bargain.

I suppose my prejudice is showing in this thread. A "meal" without wine, is not really a meal, it's just feeding myself.

Unless consuming wine would, at some point sooner than later, render one incapable of enjoying life, great food, good company and the ability to function well enough to earn a living and afford dining out :laugh:

Some of us don't drink wine or other alcoholic beverages for all the right reasons. But that brings up one of my ongoing pet peeves: I have yet to find a restaurant anywhere (including NYC although hopefully there is one) that offers non-alcholic apertif's (e.g. Chinotto) or any suitable non-alcohlic beverages to consume with a meal (e.g. Ame or something of its ilk other than mineral water)

Chez Josephine in the village apps escargot, brandade, crabcake - mains 2 orders of duck 1 filet mignon no wine no dessert $96.00

Stopped for icecream back in NJ another 10 bucks

dont worry I made up for the "no wine" tonight

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

(phaelon56 @ Nov 11 2005, 12:58 PM)

Some of us don't drink wine or other alcoholic beverages for all the right reasons. But that brings up one of my ongoing pet peeves: I have yet to find a restaurant anywhere (including NYC although hopefully there is one) that offers non-alcholic apertif's (e.g. Chinotto) or any suitable non-alcohlic beverages to consume with a meal (e.g. Ame or something of its ilk other than mineral water)

According to a NYTimes article from last December, Per Se and Aquavit fill that bill in NYC, among others.

Brief excerpt follows (focusing on French Laundry, whose beverage service is likely comparable to Per Se):

Throughout a succession of dishes during a fall meal at the French Laundry, Mr. Roberts poured the unexpected. Lobster fricassee needed the tart effervescence of Meyer lemon Gus soda pop. Coho salmon roe sprinkled over a buttery porridge called for a wineglass filled with chilled chamomile tea. Foie gras took well to Boylan root beer. "The root beer has a wonderful herb cream thing that's going on but with a little bitterness to keep the palate clean," Mr. Roberts said.

Incredibly, the folks at Per Se didn't make any effort to talk up the idea of non-alcoholic beverage pairings when my pregnant-at-the-time wife and I were there last year, much to our chagrin. The article was published a few weeks later, otherwise, it's certainly something she'd have asked for (rather than nursing her sole illicit glass of champagne through the full meal).

Christopher