• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mystery Vegetable

ulterior epicure

I've got a mystery on my hands and I need your help. Does anyone have any clue as to what this vegetable is? :huh: (I'm not sure how to post picture on eGullet - can anyone help me? In the meantime, I've posted a link to my blog entry which asks the same question.)

You can find a description and picture of this vegetable here.

Thanks! Hope we can solve the mystery!

Cheers.

U.E.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

WillieLee.

Thanks!

A "crone?" Hmm... yes, well, a tuber would describe it... is the plant (ie. above ground growth, if there is one) edible? Is "crone" its French or English name?

Where does it grow? I've eaten all around the world, but I have never seen this before... sorry, I know you're probably not a botanist...

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Daniel.

Sorry, I don't quite get your message... I did take a picture, but unfortunately I don't know how (if whether I have access on eGullet) to post pictures. Sorry... :unsure:

U.E.

Take pictures, take pictures..

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I posted a question on a different forum - but thought that you francophile/francophones might be of some help in identifying an unidentified vegetable that I was recently served in Europe (not in France, but as you will read, the server only knew the name (vaguely) in French).

Thanks!  Hope somebody out there can help! :huh:

U.E.

*******UPDATE********

Thanks to jackal10, my mystery was solved (within 10 minutes of posting!)  In case you're curious, it was a "crosnes."  Seehere for a picture.

It's interesting how crosnes shows up here from time to time; it is a funny looking but moderately frequently used ingredient.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

This grows wild here in Texas. We call it Stachys or Woundwort. We have a large patch at the country place that we dig in the fall.

Discussion here.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

John Talbott and fifi.

Thanks! Ahhh... the hardships of being a "newby" to eGullet... be patient, and I too will be able to navigate the forums with some care. Thanks for your help and input. So much to learn!!

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I posted a question on a different forum - but thought that you francophile/francophones might be of some help in identifying an unidentified vegetable that I was recently served in Europe (not in France, but as you will read, the server only knew the name (vaguely) in French).

Thanks!  Hope somebody out there can help! :huh:

U.E.

*******UPDATE********

Thanks to jackal10, my mystery was solved (within 10 minutes of posting!)  In case you're curious, it was a "crosnes."  Seehere for a picture.

It's interesting how crosnes shows up here from time to time; it is a funny looking but moderately frequently used ingredient.

How fascinating! I've never seen these before. They remind me of a grub worm in appearance, but I'm sure their flavour is a lot more promising!

I hope to try them someday.

We use them in salads. They don't have a lot of flavor but a very nice texture, sort of like water chestnut. We have used them sauted but prefer them raw.

Yes . . . They do look like grub worms. :blink:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 8 months later...

At one of my local grocery stores that are well stocket, I discovered these things in the exotic fruit section.

As i would suspect, the guys working in the store had no Idea what this was, even after making phone calls, and consulting his collegues.

They were light and hard. I made the store guy open one up. The cane has seeds separated by layers of flaky fibery stuff. The seeds are sweet, and the taste reminded me of dates and tobacco.

Can anyone help me with my curiousity?

gallery_44514_3255_685797.jpg

My research indicates Inga Bean Edulis aka the Ice Cream Bean. Native of Central and South America.

Bean pods can grow up to 1 metre long and contain sweet white pulp with a "cotton wool texture." That could be the flaky fibery stuff you're talking about.

The taste profile doesn't match up tho'. THIS bean tastes like vanilla ice cream, a far cry from tobacco. Or is it?

Edited by delhigirl (log)

I declare Jason Perlow the winner. This was Carob, AKA / Carob Tree / Locust Bean / St. John's bread.

If anyone have dessert recipe's im interested!

It's not carob or St. John's bread. The fruit is called "Manna" and is the fruit of the "Cassia Fistula" tree. I don't know if there is an english expression for this (may be "Indian Laburnum"), but in German they are called "Röhrenkassie" or "Purgierkassie" or "Fisettkassie" or "Indischer Goldregen".

The length of the fruits is 30 to 60 cm, and they are about 2 cm thick, The inner part is devided into several chambers which are filled with sweet tasting mush and a yellow seed in form of a disk. The taste is a little bit like chokolate and liquorice. The mush is normally used as a laxative or to soften tobacco. I really can't imagine there will be a recipe for a dessert in which manna will be used.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Ok I think we are back to the begining because

carob pods are shaped more like pea pods with seams and indentations between the seeds....also currently out of season

and why the heck would they be selling Cassia Fistula which is primarily used as a laxative, in the produce dept??

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association