• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vita-Mix Blenders & Mixers

Lucylu

After we watched & watched the demo at Costco kids twisted my arm and "made me" buy VITA mix 5200. After I used it for a week I regretted I did not take the plunge sooner. There was nothing wrong with the blender I've been using for years, just like there is nothing wrong with a steak I buy at Giant or Safeway, except that it ain't Kobe beef. Vita mix is one of the few things I use in the kitchen that actually makes food taste better. I tried most of their recipes at the beginning, it was a good starting point after which I returned to my own recipes. I still make my favorite tortilla soup on the stove top, but I have a kid who wanted to take my Vita -mix to college to make soup in her room.

Pentagon City Costco in Arlington, VA has been carrying Vita Mix 5200 with a shorter (fits under the counter) container for around $375, but last week looking at the price tag I noticed an asterisk in the upper right hand corner which means that it will be discontinued. Sometimes, when Costco is in a hurry to get rid of something they lower the price, and when they do it ends in "97." So, if they lower the price to $325.97 or less I will buy one for my daughter to take with her to graduate school.

I got my Vita mix several years ago, before I heard about Vita prep, Of course, now I am wondering if Vita prep will "improve" the taste of my food even more. lol...

Not really an appropriate comparison. More like - for home use, would you prefer a Caterpillar Tractor for your home garden with a 7 year warranty or for 10% more, one with 50% more horse power and a 3 year warranty for commercial farm use.

I'm getting a bit confused by all the mix and prep and numbers. Is the Vita Mix Vita Prep 3 the top model? I think so, but....

Since they're retty close in price and I expect this thing to last a long time, the difference in price is negligible and the extra power might be nice to have. I plan to make soups and veggie juices as well as plenty ice snow for making sausages.

Also saw there are 3 different plades, ice, dry, and wet. Does it come with all of those? A smaller container is less important to me, I'd rather make stuff once or twice a week and refrigerate than dealing with it every day. The Vita Prep 3 sells for $480 on ebay it seems.

The Vita-Mix (5200) goes for $395 at Costco, and the Vita-Prep 3 (1005) goes for $480 on Ebay - a 20% difference. Here's Vitamix's advice on which model would be appropriate for most users:

Q: What processes require 3 HP?

A: No particular process requires 3 HP. Vitamix has determined that there is a benefit to a 3 HP motor in commercial applications that produce hundreds of blends of thick purees and thick drinks in a single day. Vitamix 3HP Commercial machines are designed to be used under a significantly higher daily cycle count and heavier loads than our household machines which do not require 3 HP.

Q: Does a 3 HP motor guarantee better performance?

A: 3 HP offers better performance in commercial applications requiring continuous heavy load capability. This type of performance is not needed or beneficial for household machine performance.

Q: Is there anything that will guarantee better performance?

A: When all is said and done, it is the entire machine design—including blades, container, tamper, motor, bearings and more that guarantees consistently exceptional performance in Vitamix machines.

Q: What is the difference between “input” and “output” horsepower?

A: Input horsepower, which is a term used with many 3 HP appliances, can be misleading because power is wasted in terms of heat to reach a true output horsepower reading. The Vitamix machine operates at 2 peak output horsepower.

Q: Is it true that a substance as hard as an avocado pit requires a 3 HP motor?

A: Absolutely not. The 2 peak HP Vitamix machine does a fine job of grinding avocado pits, as shown in this video: avocado pits

Aside from the 7 yr. vs. 3 yr. warranty, another difference is that the 5200 comes w/ a BPA-free container.

Monterey Bay area

That's a 20% difference only if you are not counting state and local sales taxes. As I noted up-topic, my Vita-Prep 3 cost only $45 more than the 5200 when you account for taxes. Worth it to me.

I'm not particularly concerned about BPA when I have ingredients in the machine for only a very few minutes. Is there research that shows I should be?

That said, I am sure many people will be satisfied with the 5200.

Regarding BPAs and the Vita-Mix products specifically, I agree that if I were using it to make baby food or anything for small children, I would prefer the BPA-free container. Otherwise....

• 1 month later...

DH and I know nothing about Vita Mixes. He just picked one up at the local Transfer Station (aka the Dump) on the shelves which are free. It's been there for a couple of weeks at least. It even has a book with it. The blades work perfectly and no parts are missing. Yes. People really do leave incredible things there. We have done it ourselves. One day there were two full size working electric organs, the kind you find in a smaller church.

Oh, it's an older one, the 3600. I guess I'll have to buckle down, read this topic, try the machine, see if it actually works or not. Amazing. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 month later...

I realize that I am late to the party but just wanted to add I love my VitaMix.

Don't forget about coffee! I make frozen coffee drinks in the summer. I incorporate chocolate and caramel also. I have various syrups if I want something flavored such as toffee, hazelnut, irish cream, etc.

I have a VitaMix Super 5000, that I bought a few years ago. I can't imagine my life without it. They now make a shorter container so that it fits under your cabinets. Mine sits out year round.

Makes a good raspberry or strawberry lemonade. For breakfast I will use soy milk, protein powder, oats (or grain mix), cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom with some ice.

I use it to smooth sauces, soups, etc. It does a smoother job than an immersion blender.

The really great thing about the VitaMix is that you can throw your horse-pill vitamins in and you never know they are there. I have a terrible time with vitamins and this makes it a complete non-issue.

The VitaMix makes great nut butters and I also grind grains for flour. There are 2 containers a "wet" and a "dry", the blades are different.

Agar helps to keep the smoothie from separating. I use about 1/4 teaspoon per VitaMix container. It also keeps soy milk for separating especially in hot coffee. I put 1/4 teaspoon per 1 quart soy milk. Shake prior to use and no curdling.