• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Phoenix White Truffle Report

I met the "Man" last year when he came into my friends restaurant with a basket full of truffles. Who is the "Man", his name is not important, but what is in the basket is. The highly prized white truffle, scientific name TUBER MAGNATUM PICO is considered to be the truffle par excellence because of its noteworthy commercial importance. It is gathered from September to December. The "Man" has a brother in Italy and his brother ships truffles twice a week to the states when in season. Last year, when I brought my truffles home and stored them with my eggs for truffle omeletes, the smell permeated my whole fridge and I even had truffle ice. When the season is over the "Man" disappears until the next season. Guess what-TRUFFLE TIME

gallery_30892_2035_15664.jpg

I got the "Man's" phone number from my friend and called him Saturday, but he was in Tucson-out of truffles. He told me that a shipment was coming soon and that he would call me. My phone rang and I knew it was him, he said that he was in LA on the way back into town and he asked me to meet him along I-10 for the deal of a lifetime. I only wanted an ounce or two because they last 7 days, but a deal of a lifetime??????? He would call me an hour out of town so we picked an AM/PM parking lot off the highway. He could not find the AM/PM, but I told him I would find him. In the parking lot of a hotel, he opened his trunk and out came the scale-TRUFFLES I SWEAR

gallery_30892_2035_72867.jpg

first came one and then

gallery_30892_2035_15664.jpg

gallery_30892_2035_10292.jpg

gallery_30892_2035_129470.jpg

gallery_30892_2035_140620.jpg

gallery_30892_2035_38804.jpg

The Man made me a deal of a lifetime and now for the next week, I will eat the deal of the lifetime. How do you get the deal of a lifetime-meet the "Man" when his wife is tired and wants to go home

Where to eat his truffles in Phoenix- Mary Elaines, Sassi, Binkley's

in LA- Locanda Veneta, L'Orangerie

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Are you sure those aren't potatoes? :laugh:

Seriously, those look great. How will you use them?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

As I'm sure your man will tell you, you have to brush the earth off truffles before they're allowed to enter the states, but it apparently makes them degrade much faster.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Doc,

Yukon Golds :wink: , no but the next shipment he says that he will meet me first so I can get a pictorial. He delivered a 260 gram one to Brad Thompson at the Phoenician last year. To answer your question-Omelete, sous-vide eggs, risotto, white truffle potato tortellini, shaved over fresh tagliatelle made in a tomato water butter. Chef Binkley told me he is going to make a white truffle truffle that he will place over risotto so when you pierce the truffle-goodness all over the risotto. I like that better than parmesan air but we shall see.

Molto e

As I'm sure your man will tell you, you have to brush the earth off truffles before they're allowed to enter the states, but it apparently makes them degrade much faster.

Moby posting in the Southwest Forum-what a day!

Good Eating,

Molto E

Doc,

Yukon Golds :wink: , no but the next shipment he says that he will meet me first so I can get a pictorial. He delivered a 260 gram one to Brad Thompson at the Phoenician last year. To answer your question-Omelete, sous-vide eggs, risotto, white truffle potato tortellini, shaved over fresh tagliatelle made in a tomato water butter. Chef Binkley told me he is going to make a white truffle truffle that he will place over risotto so when you pierce the truffle-goodness all over the risotto. I like that better than parmesan air but we shall see.

Molto e

Sounds great. Unfortunately, I will have to be satisfied with photos for now (so long as you take and post them) :angry::smile:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Doc,

Molto e

Sounds great. Unfortunately, I will have to be satisfied with photos for now (so long as you take and post them) :angry::smile:

Doc,

I have been telling you to get out here..... I will update with few shots of breakfast in a bit.

Molto E

Doc,

Molto White Truffle Biscuit

Egg cooked sous-vide molto-vaced with TRUFFLE salt, TRUFFLE oil and a little creme fraiche then placed on the biscuit with a dab of TRUFFLE butter, touch of TRUFFLE cheese and WHITE TRUFFLE microplaned on top-MOLTOLICIOUS!!

gallery_30892_2035_38804.jpg

gallery_30892_2035_12059.jpg

gallery_30892_2035_81947.jpg

gallery_30892_2035_90044.jpg

Egg cooked sous-vide molto-vaced with TRUFFLE salt, TRUFFLE oil and a little creme fraiche then placed on the biscuit with a dab of TRUFFLE butter, touch of TRUFFLE cheese and WHITE TRUFFLE microplaned on top-MOLTOLICIOUS!!

How do you vacuum-seal a raw egg? Did you wrap it in plastic film first?

I think I'm going to swoon. Molto, that is incredible! Meeting The Man sounds so very cloak and dagger. So, is it improper to ask, what does one pay per ounce in "the deal"? Also, is there a way one could get in on "the next deal"? OMG, wow. Just beautiful. I'm going for the risotto, myself. And the eggs. Oh, who am I kidding, I'll take it all :biggrin:

Molto,

The first step to recovery is to admit you are powerless over truffles.

How about a speed ball of Kobe Beef, Bluefin Tuna Belly, Foie Gras, topped with White Truffle.

ahurwich

AHurwich,

I am not sure if they have a treatment program for that yet?

Molto E

I think I'm going to swoon.  Molto, that is incredible!  Meeting The Man sounds so very cloak and dagger.  So, is it improper to ask, what does one pay per ounce in "the deal"?  Also, is there a way one could get in on "the next deal"?  OMG, wow. Just beautiful.  I'm going for the risotto, myself.  And the eggs.  Oh, who am I kidding, I'll take it all  :biggrin:

Genny,

I think the going rate right now is about $1600 a pound for White Truffles. I will see if I can get you hooked up with some Truffle love.

Peace,

Molto E

Can you please post a photo of what the egg looks like in the bag? That breakfast is truly decadent.

Twitter - @docsconz

Can you please post a photo of what the egg looks like in the bag? That breakfast is truly decadent.

Doc,

I will the next time I make it. I take a muffin pan and lay the plastic over and form a cup and then I close it up and make a little cocoon.

Molto E

Doc,

I will the next time I make it. I take a muffin pan and lay the plastic over and form a cup and then I close it up and make a little cocoon.

Molto E

I look fo rward to seeing it almost as much as I would look forward to eating it. :cool:

Twitter - @docsconz

Sounds great. Unfortunately, I will have to be satisfied with photos for now (so long as you take and post them)  :angry:  :smile:

Doc,

Shaved over fresh tagliatelle in a tomato butter.

gallery_30892_2035_132642.jpg

extracting the tomato water to make the butter

gallery_30892_2035_72487.jpg

fresh pasta

gallery_30892_2035_81494.jpg

my plating was not as tight as it should have been, but I was hungry :laugh:

Molto E

my plating was not as tight as it should have been, but I was hungry :laugh:

Molto E

And now so am I!

Twitter - @docsconz

Sounds great. Unfortunately, I will have to be satisfied with photos for now (so long as you take and post them)  :angry:  :smile:

Doc,

Omelette-TRUFFLE cheese, TRUFFLE butter, TRUFFLE salt and of course shaved TRUFFLES

gallery_30892_2035_36145.jpg

gallery_30892_2035_54797.jpg

Doc that is an egg moltovaced :wink:

gallery_30892_2035_87429.jpg

Katz's bagel with truffle cheese

gallery_30892_2035_127629.jpg

gallery_30892_2035_41173.jpg

gallery_30892_2035_87367.jpg

Omelette cooked in TRUFFLE butter and TRUFFLE oil, shaved TRUFFLES inside on top of TRUFFLE cheese, shaved TRUFFLES on top and a bagel with TRUFFLE cream cheese

Edited by molto e (log)

Doc,

Risotto and a omelette

gallery_30892_2035_59140.jpg

gallery_30892_2035_129305.jpg

Molto E

The truffle man cometh:

gallery_30892_2035_74079.jpg

gallery_30892_2035_86458.jpg

Call and order if you wish, they do send product in the mail, but I think you are better off seeing what you purchase in person

Truffles and More

Teuta Morina

Director

520-661-0983

• 3 weeks later...