• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Here's the meal plan

alphaiii

The plan is to cook a meal for the little lady. Now I am by no means a chef, but I think I can handle cooking a decent meal.

Seared Yellow-Fin Tuna over Baby Spinach and Arugula Leaves

Garlic Cheddar Mashed Red Potatoes (skin on)

Grilled Asparagus

Filet Mignon

And to drink: Pinot Noir, 2002 Waterstone (recommended by the staff at The Wine Source in Baltimore)

I am planning to marinate the Tuna in the following (I actually found this here somewhere in this forum):

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Minced Garlic

Soy Sauce

Coarse Black Pepper

Fresh Lime Juice

I need a suggestion for a dressing to put on the tuna/greens. I was thinking a Vinaigrette: Red Wine and Olive Oil, Raspberry Walnut, or Balsalmic. Not really sure which would fit best.

Also, what would you marinate the Filet in? I have some of the store mixes, the Grill Mates stuff. I like the Montreal Steak kind, but for some reason a package mix doesn't seem to to do all this effort justice. If it were just for me, I'd just use the package stuff, but that's because I'm not picky. Filet is good just about any way you do it, unless of course you burn the hell out of it.

Another idea was to scratch the marinate altogether and brush the filet with olive oil and grill it, then melt some gorgonzola cheese over it (if I can find it at my store).

Any suggestions for the kitchen novice will be appreciated.

Jeremiah Tower's recipe for "Montpelier Butter" sounds like it would be nice on top of the filet.

6 spinach leaves

1/2 bunch watercress leaves

2 tbsp fresh parsley

2 tbsp fresh chervil

1 tbsp fresh tarragon

2 shallots chopped

2 cornichons, rinsed and chopped

4 salted anchovy fillets

2 tbsp salted capers, rinsed, soaked for 2 hrs. and drained

1 clove garlic

1/4 tsp cayenne

3 hard-cooked yolks

2 raw yolks

1/4 lb unsalted butter

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 tsp white wine vinegar

salt and freshly ground white pepper

Blanch spinach, watercress, herbs, shallots 1 min. Drain, dry. Put in mortar or food processor, add everything except yolks and butter, and vinegar. Process til smooth.

Add yolks and butter, process. Whisk in oil by hand. Beat in vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.

ETA: The ingredients list is from Jeremiah Tower Cooks, and I paraphrased the directions. :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

I need a suggestion for a dressing to put on the tuna/greens.  I was thinking a Vinaigrette:  Red Wine and Olive Oil, Raspberry Walnut, or Balsalmic.  Not really sure which would fit best. 

Keep it simple and not too sweet or sharp. I'd lean toward something like extra virgin olive oil and sherry vinegar, perhaps with a homeopathic dab of Dijon mustard. If I had some duck or veal demi-glace lying around, I'd probably add a dash of that, too, to round out the flavours. If you're pouring the pinot with this course, go very, very light on the vinegar.

Also, what would you marinate the Filet in?

Another idea was to scratch the marinate altogether and brush the filet with olive oil and grill it, then melt some gorgonzola cheese over it (if I can find it at my store). 

I wouldn't marinate the filet. I'd sear it over high heat and serve it with either a compound butter (Ling's recipe looks great but you could get away something as simple as chopped parsley, minced shallots. a few drops of fresh lemon juice and some coarsely ground pepper) or a sauce.

One sauce I like with filet features blue cheese: Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Add 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped. Sweat the shallot 3 or 4 minutes, making sure it doesn't brown. Turn the heat to medium, add 1/3 cup dry white wine and let it bubble away until only a spoonful remains. Add 1/3 cup heavy cream and simmer until reduced by half. Remove the saucepan from the heat but keep warm. Just before serving, reheat the sauce and add 2 oz. Roquefort or other blue cheese broken into pieces. Stir until the cheese melts. Adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper. If desired, strain the sauce into a warmed sauceboat or measuring cup. Plate the steaks and nap with the sauce.

edit: Added a couple of missing ingredients to the compound butter recipe. I make mine with slightly softened butter and use a bowl and a wooden spoon (not unsoftened butter, a knife and a cutting board as mentioned downthread). Once the ingredients are mixed in, transfer the butter to a sheet of plastic wrap on a flat surface (if the butter's too soft, stick it in the freezer for a few minutes), shape into a rough cylinder, wrap with the wrap, roll into a smooth cylinder and refrigerate. To serve, slice medallions from the cylinder and place on the centre of the hot steak.

Edited by carswell (log)

I wouldn't marinate the filet. I'd sear it over high heat and serve it with either a compound butter (Ling's recipe looks great but you could get away something as simple as chopped parsley and minced shallots) or a sauce.

The blue cheese/cream sauce is great, carwell. Filet mignon isn't my favourite cut...I really need to eat it with a rich sauce b/c the meat is so lean.

The recipe I posted is a bit fussy and calls for a lot of ingredients. When I'm feeling lazy, I just do a really simple recipe based on the Chez Panisse cookbook--olive oil, chopped garlic, parsley, anchovies, butter.

Why not use the same ingredients you're marinating the tuna in to make the dressing for the greens?

And I agree about skipping the marinade for the filet and finishing it with a compound butter.

Why not use the same ingredients you're marinating the tuna in to make the dressing for the greens?

And I agree about skipping the marinade for the filet and finishing it with a compound butter.

I agree with JAZ. Make a dressing for the salad with the same ingredients as the marinade for the tuna, but leave out the garlic.

I prefer to use something like sirloin or strip steak for grilling as it has more flavor.

If you choose to stick with the filet, I think a compound butter is the way to go. Keep it simple, the cheese sauce is going to over power the flavors, and you already have cheese in the potatoes.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I'll make the dressing with the marinade ingredients.

jack, good point on the cheese. I didn't really think of that. No need to add more cheese flavors to the meal. As for the steak, I love strip steaks but I know she's a fan of filet, so I'm gonna stick with that. I'll skip on the marinade for that and go for one of the compound butters listed here.

I've never done a compound butter before. Anything I need to keep in mind when preparing it so I don't mess it up? I'll probably opt for one of the simpler ones. I appreciate the recipe Ling, but that might be a bit much for me, especially if you think the recipe is "fussy."

On top of the tuna I would put a cold lemon cream dressing.. But just a few drops.. If you are marinating the tuna then it will already be leaking and have flavor...

DO NOT MARINATE FILET! A little salt a ton of pepper on e-side and then grill on a cast iron or broil for 5-6 mins on each side.. Thats it.. A 20 dollar steak doesnt need your 3 dollar sugar sauce....

Buy the gorgonzola.. This is what you do.. Take 3 tbls spoons of olive oil.. Heat it up and add three smashed cloves of garlic....Garlic should cook for like a minute tops.. Then quickly throw in collard greens, or spinach, or mustard greens.. Get them wilted..Cool on the side.. Do not blanch..

Take a dish and line the pan with raw cubed red potatoes cut into 16ths or 8ths depending how ya feel.,, After layer of taters, throw down layer of greens.. The put down layer of gorgonzola, then bread crumbs. the repeat..Nutmeg could be involved.. Covering top with panko or regular bread crumbs.. Parmasean, and fill the dish a quarter way with milk, cream, or wine..Bake it at 450 degrees for 50 minutes.. Awesome... Trust me.. So simple...

Go on to Jeanes Georges website and look at his molten lava cakes.. Or get a chocolate mousse recipe off of epicurious.. Either way a dessert is critical.. Have a special bottle of liquor to open at dessert...

Either way I am sure your intentions and purpose will shine through...

Good luck brudda,,

Edited by Daniel (log)

Molten Chocolate Cakes my version

Make 4 6 oz. cakes

1 stick unsalted butter

6.25 - 7oz. bittersweet chocolate

2 eggs

2 egg yolks

¼ cup sugar

pinch of salt

2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 450°F.

Butter and lightly flour four 6-oz. ramekins

Melt the butter with the chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water.

Beat the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl at high speed until thickened and pale.

Whisk the chocolate until smooth.

Fold the chocolate and flour into the egg mixture.

Spoon the batter into the ramekins and bake for 4- 6 minutes or until the sides of the cakes are firm but the centers are soft.

Let the cakes cool in the ramekins for 1 minute, then cover each with an inverted dessert plate. Carefully turn each one over, let stand for 10 seconds and then unmold. Serve immediately

See you already have the oven at 450 from the potato gratin.. Just throw those in when dinner is almost over.. This batter can be made long time before dinner... You could even bake it in a espresso cup and not flip it.. Just leaving it a gooey soup.. Make your own vanilla or whatever ice cream..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Compound butters are simple. You can make one by putting some cold butter on your cutting board, laying fresh herbs on top, and chopping down the herbs directly into the butter. Keep scraping the butter off the board and moving it around until all the herb is chopped finely and it's evenly mixed with the butter. You can also do this in a food processor. Just don't let the butter get too warm or it might start to separate out.

I almost always eat my steaks pan seared, finished in the oven, rested, with a knob of butter and a sprinkle of crunchy Maldon sea salt on top.

Wrap your filet in bacon, sear it, and then top 'er with some beurre maître d'hôtel (butter, lemon juice, chopped parsley, S&P).

Super simple, and one of my favourite preparations evar.

I think trusting Daniel is a good idea, though, there are legions of us who wish our boyfriends cooked for us the way Daniel does for his lucky woman :smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies