• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daniel Boulud Brasserie or Fix

A couple of Seattle eG'ers will be in town having dinner the Friday after Thanksgiving. We have reservations at both Fix and Daniel Boulud and need to decide which to keep and which to cancel. On the one hand, there's those fabulous sounding cocktails and doughnuts at Fix. On the other hand the show on the lake at DB sounds fun. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I've not been to Fix, but I have been to Daniel Boulud twice and LOVED IT. It's pricey but I thought worth every penny. If at all possible get a table outside (I am guessing they have heat lamps during the winter) as the "show" is wonderful. You can still see it from inside the restaurant if you can snag a table next to the window.

As I recall the Beef Short Rib entree was out of this world. Everything was great which is why I went there twice in one week...LOL

Have a great time !

Char

I've been to Daniel Boulud once (and it should have been twice) and I really liked it. I got to sit outside in the terrace, but didn't get to see the entire show. This was back in July 2005. I had the roasted beet salad, followed by their special that evening, risotto with bay shrimp, English peas, etc... and a trio of sorbets. Daniel Boulud has a more relaxed atmosphere, especially outside on the terrace. You can't go wrong with Daniel Boulud.

I haven't been to Fix ever. I think there are some who have and posted their reports on some of the other Las Vegas threads. I'll see if I can find some links to those threads.

edited to add: I found it! Boy, that was fast!

LV - FIX

Edited by rjwong (log)

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I think I read recently in a local F&B industry gossip rag that the menu at Boulud Brasserie was due for some changes. They said they were putting a bigger focus on steaks, which is odd since it's right next to SW, Wynn's "Steakhouse" restaurant. Story here (scroll down to the first "On the Move" item"). Lower on the same page you can read about Fleur de Lys' new $5000 buger. :rolleyes:

I've eaten at Daniel Boulud once, and at FIX twice. I thought the food at Daniel Boulud was significantly better than at FIX. DB would be my first choice.

However, if you're looking for a restaurant with a lot of energy, FIX is the place. There are animated conversations everywhere. Even the servers have a lot of energy.

Welcome to eGullet, lgott!

I'm curious, did you eat at DB prior to their change in menu that nightscotsman mentions above? I had a copy of the menu faxed to me and wasn't impressed. It really does look heavy on the steak/chops. Based on that, we are leaning towards FIX.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

• 1 month later...
We are having our Thanksgiving dinner at Daniel Boulud. Can't wait.

On Friday, I am surprising my husband with a nighttime helicopter flight over the lights of Vegas.

What a terrible disappointment. Maybe it was because there was a limited menu on Thanksgiving, but even the service lacked.

Our waiter continually told us of his hangover, tried to upsell us on the wine and was just generally unprofessional. After we ordered our wines by the glass, the sommelier came over to ask what we would like to order. WTF?

The food was marginal at best. I had the steak frites and it was by far the saltiest thing I have ever eaten. My husband had the veal, good, but not as good as we would expect from Daniel Boulud.

At $350 for two, I don't have the funds to try it again to see if I would love it. They made a terrible first impression on us.

So sad.

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I at at Daniel Boulud recently, and I thought it was fantastic in both the food quality, the service, as well as the decor.

The terrace was closed when we were there, but I would think it would be the preferred place to dine.

I agree with the above post: it seemed to be rather casual overall.

I haven't been to FIX.