• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef

Did anyone see Iron Chef last night? I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but Tom Douglas was the epitome of grace under pressure :biggrin:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

As soon as I saw what the secret ingredient was, I thought that if he lost, we would have to ride him out of town on a rail! He would have no Northwest street cred left!

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Dayne and I went to the party at the Palace Ballroom last night, it was such a fun time!!

Here is the menu that they did for us:

Eggplant or Chicken Tingmo at the door, these little bao were excellent!!

Passed chantrelle duxelle and goat cheese crostini

Kamakazi's

Citrus Pepper Cured Salmon, Shiso Yogurt and Salmon Roe. This was just excellent. They referred to it as the chopstick course.

Young coconut curry, toasted rice flour salmon. Excellent, the broth was seasoned perfectly and the presentation on the toasted rice was very cute.

Pear wood smoked salmon, poached egg, shiitakes and fava beans. My personal favorite, the egg yolk and the salmon were a match made in heaven!

Sesame roasted salmon lettuce cups, nuoc cham. fun little salmon salads you made your self.

They also served us 2 cheeses, St George Cows milk and Old Chatham Ewe's Milk Blue

And fantastic grownup "Oreo's" of chocolate with butter pecan cream

We ate first and then watched the show, the event was completely sold out and was great fun. Thierry from Rovers was there also so it was fun to get a little advice from him and congratulate him on his new cookbook.

In regards to Tom, contemplating Teatro Zinzanni for wifes birthday. I've heard all types of mixed reviews, but figure the food alone should be worth the price. Any reviews????

Not the food, but the show. Consider the food the free gift with purchase.

I thought he did too much scene stealing.

He was only answering Alton's questions.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

Not from the NW so don't know if I'm allowed an opinion, but I thoroughly enjoyed him. It seemed that he and Alton were acquainted, to some degree, and I liked the playful banter. The smoke signals were witty, and I liked his composure, never raising his voice but rather directing his sous calmly. I would work for him, and I can't say that about some of the others (not to mention names, but do the initials BF ring a bell?).

I shamelessly appropriated a salmon roulade from Thierry several years ago and trot it out frequently for guests. When I saw TD working on one of his fish, I thought for a moment he was going to butterfly it and that he, too, had borrowed the Rovers recipe. But he apparently isn't as shameless as I am.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

When Etta's opened, they had an appetizer that I got every single time: Salmon Three Ways. Smoked salmon ribs (they left some meat on), pickled salmon and cold smoked salmon - all house prepared.

Delicious, every one of them.

I keep asking them to bring it back, but they never do. :hmmm:

Not from the NW so don't know if I'm allowed an opinion, but I thoroughly enjoyed him.  It seemed that he and Alton were acquainted, to some degree, and I liked the playful banter.  The smoke signals were witty, and I liked his composure, never raising his voice but rather directing his sous calmly.  I would work for him, and I can't say that about some of the others (not to mention names, but do the initials BF ring a bell?).

I shamelessly appropriated a salmon roulade from Thierry several years ago and trot it out frequently for guests.  When I saw TD working on one of his fish, I thought for a moment he was going to butterfly it and that he, too, had borrowed the Rovers recipe.  But he apparently isn't as shameless as I am.

Too bad you can't listen to his talk show - he and Thierry joke about stealing from each other all the time. I rewatched the show and guess he wasn't over the top by any means. My apologies.

I'd get a second opinion on working for him...I've read/heard some stuff that make me question that wisdom, though I also see some long time employees, so it must work okay for some people.

Have you bought "Rover's" cookbook and if so, how is it?

Too bad you can't listen to his talk show - he and Thierry joke about stealing from each other all the time. I rewatched the show and guess he wasn't over the top by any means. My apologies.

I'd get a second opinion on working for him...I've read/heard some stuff that make me question that wisdom, though I also see some long time employees, so it must work okay for some people.

Have you bought "Rover's" cookbook and if so, how is it?

Actually it looks like I could listen to it over the web (but I'll have to download a plug-in of some kind; I'm a Mac user and, not surprisingly given your location, it appears that the station's streaming is Windoze=based). Now that I see he does 3 hours on the radio each week, his easy manner on TV makes sense.

No, I don't have the Rover's book. I found the salmon dish in a magazine when I was out there. I'm sad to say I didn't even get to eat at Rover's; the day I had reserved for that was also the only day we could take in a Mariner's game and since my S.O. generally does whatever I want on vacation, I felt obliged to do compromise. I couldn't imagine going to Rover's after an afternoon in the hot sun (yes, it was hot when we visited) eating ballpark food and drinking beer, so I nixed the whole thing. A good excuse to return to your fair city.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Tsquare, my wife and I bought Rover's cookbook, and we are impressed. There is no way that we can recreate the presentation, (I am thinking of the scrambled eggs with caviar and lime fraiche in particular, since I cannot see peeling the membrane from the interior working through the top of an opened egg shell) but the way the recipes are written, we have a fighting chance to recreate the taste of the dishes. Reading through it, however, makes my wife and I think that our lives would be easier if we had a sous chef at home!

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA