• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Trends in 2006

yunnermeier

Does anyone know anything food related to look out for in 2006? Cuisine? Eating style? Entertaining? (I'm researching Dining/Cuisine trends for 2006)

I read that Foodaceuticals will be hot in 2006 but hey, eGullet is all about good food, not drugs masquerading as food;)

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

I read this recently about trends in the food business for 2006 ... depends upon what publication one is reading:

Wellness Foods

Specialty Cafes

Textures in Foods

BBQ and Ethnic Cuisines

Organic Foods

one source says ...

Tea

Online Specialty Foods

Do-It-Yourself Meal Preparation

One-Product Restaurants

Chocolate Cafes

another source thinks this ...

another source is certain that we'll see ...

Exotic fruits, white tea and small plates and bites are set to become more popular with consumers this year, as more people opt for “healthy,” “fashionable” and “adventurous” foods, says a new report.

“Fruits such as mango, papaya, and pomegranate ... Other exotic fruits, or “superfruits,” that consumers will opt for to boost their mood and energy levels include guava, lychee, pomelo, yuzu, and tamarind as well as berries such as acai, guarana and goji  "Sales of premium fruit are on the rise in the US, as are sales of ethnic food in general.

White tea is also set to enjoy good growth, according to the CCD's latest trend report.... white tea is now cropping up with ever-greater frequency on our radar. White tea's subtle taste allows it to be flavored in any number of ways,

“Food-fashion-forward” restaurants have picked up on this trend, serving a number of small plates such as Mexican and Thai tapas,

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The do-it-yourself meal prep shops are amazing. A great idea. I read that some Walmart Superstores are setting up organic produce and food sections to lure more well-healed shoppers. I am also amazed at the number of shops and articles devoted to differents salts.

What do you mean by textures in foods? Combining different textures, I assume. Any examples of this new trend?

I read this recently about trends in the food business for 2006 ... depends upon what publication one is reading:

Wellness Foods

Specialty Cafes

Textures in Foods

BBQ and Ethnic Cuisines

Organic Foods

one source says ...

Tea

Online Specialty Foods

Do-It-Yourself Meal Preparation

One-Product Restaurants

Chocolate Cafes

another source thinks this ...

another source is certain that we'll see ...

Exotic fruits, white tea and small plates and bites are set to become more popular with consumers this year, as more people opt for “healthy,” “fashionable” and “adventurous” foods, says a new report.

“Fruits such as mango, papaya, and pomegranate ... Other exotic fruits, or “superfruits,” that consumers will opt for to boost their mood and energy levels include guava, lychee, pomelo, yuzu, and tamarind as well as berries such as acai, guarana and goji  "Sales of premium fruit are on the rise in the US, as are sales of ethnic food in general.

White tea is also set to enjoy good growth, according to the CCD's latest trend report.... white tea is now cropping up with ever-greater frequency on our radar. White tea's subtle taste allows it to be flavored in any number of ways,

“Food-fashion-forward” restaurants have picked up on this trend, serving a number of small plates such as Mexican and Thai tapas,

The do-it-yourself meal prep shops are amazing.  A great idea.  I read that some Walmart Superstores are setting up organic produce and food sections to lure more well-healed shoppers

:rolleyes: You've gotta love the concept of wellness at Walmart. :biggrin:

I'm predicting ubiquity and homogeneity, although the impending global shortage of shortribs may mitigate against this notion.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"