• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Demo: Basic molded chocolates and slightly beyond

Trishiad

Mette, very very nice!  I too use that tall mold upside down but I fill it with a cinnamon spiced hot chocolate ganache, small world.

I love the sheen on your milk chocolate dome.  Is that clear cocoa butter with luster dust or did you use a sheer coat of yellow cocoa butter and then dust?

Thanks! It is done with clear cocoa butter and dust, which is a mixture of red and gold, as I'd run out of copper, which was my plan.

They look lovely - and tasty - mmmmmmmm!

Here's a peek at what the recipients can expect :

gallery_29514_1165_10979.jpg

They are:

Middle row: Praline and black pepper ganache in dark chocolate, mocca marzipan in milk chocolate with a snakeskin imprint, raspberry ganache in dark chocolate with gold leaf (what a great idea, Trishad!!!)

Bottom row: maramalade and Grand Marnier ganache in dark choc,.

Thanks again for the inspiration. My friends and family will appreciate it.

/Mette

Mette, these are gorgeous! Can you post the Praline & Black Pepper Ganache as well as the maramalade & Grand Marnier Ganache recipes? Esp the marmalade one, that is making my mouth water!

Thanks so much in advance :biggrin:

Genny

Mette, these are gorgeous!  Can you post the Praline & Black Pepper Ganache as well as the maramalade & Grand Marnier Ganache recipes?  Esp the marmalade one, that is making my mouth water!

Thanks so much in advance  :biggrin:

Genny

The praline and black pepper is from Wybauw: Fine Cocolates (I've scaled it down and upped the dark chocolate contents by 100 g. as it was very liquid):

200 g. whipping cream

200 g. syrup (original recipe calls for corn syrup but I use light sugarbeet syrup, which is the most widely available syrup in these parts)

200 g. praline

120 g. milk chocolate

140 g. dark chocolate

Freshly ground black pepper to taste - mine are quite peppery.

Boil cream and syrup, pour over chocolates and praline, mix till melted, add black pepper to taste. Mould as usual.

The marmalade/Grand Marnier filling was the first chocolate filling I developed myself (before I knew the 'rules' of ganache etc. :biggrin: ) and it is very much anticipated (and appreciated) by my friends and family. It is VERY intense, and has an almost indefinate shelf life.

200 g. dark chocolate

1½ dl seville orange marmalade (I use home made, but store bought, preferably english or scottish, is fine)

1½ dl. grand marnier

50 g. unsalted butter

Depending on whether you like 'bits' in your filling or not (and how big the bits should be), you can pass the marmalade through a sieve, give it a quick whizz in the blender or chop it a bit with a knife. Bring marmalade and Grad Marnier near to boiling, pour over chocolate, mix till melted and add butter at app. 35 C. Mould as usual. It is quite firm and can be rolled to truffels. Come to think of it, it would probably be nice made with white choc as well, a bit less intense.

I'd like reports back if anyone tries the marmalade/grand Marnier. Thanks.

Have fun.

/Mette