• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best hot chocolate in Vancouver?

Veghead

Unless I can find a place that makes it with Valrhona and half and half, I'm sticking to homemade.  :smile:

I bought some over the weekend. Evil evil stuff. I made Ganache out of it (thanks for the tips Lorna). Hmm I could try making hot coco mmmmm...My Precioussssss....you would be good in hot coco.....yesss

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

• 2 weeks later...

In this week's Georgia Straight, Angela Murrills lets the cat out of the bag on the hot chocolate at Anona Fine Food and Catering: "two-percent milk, dark Belgian chocolate, and, the kicker, scoops of homemade marshmallow".

You'll find Anona at 3610 Main Street.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

for years we used a variety of brands of prepared chocolate syrups, which I found all to taste artificial, more like a candybar than the dark chocolate flavour I expected. many of them are corn syrup based, contain stabalisers, thickeners and artificial flavours. we now make our own chocolate sauce every week using pure cocoa powder, sugar and water. its much less sweet with more of a dark chocolate taste, and i think better for you.

i'd love to know how it stands up to the rest.

Alistair Durie

Elysian Coffee

for years we used a variety of brands of prepared chocolate syrups, which I found all to taste artificial, more like a candybar than the dark chocolate flavour I expected.  many of them are corn syrup based, contain stabalisers, thickeners and artificial flavours.  we now make our own chocolate sauce every week using pure cocoa powder, sugar and water.  its much less sweet with more of a dark chocolate taste, and i think better for you.

i'd love to know how it stands up to the rest.

What time do you open on Saturday, hopkin?

:biggrin:

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

In this week's Georgia Straight, Angela Murrills lets the cat out of the bag on the hot chocolate at Anona Fine Food and Catering:   "two-percent milk, dark Belgian chocolate, and, the kicker, scoops of homemade marshmallow".

You'll find Anona at 3610 Main Street.

I dropped by Anona's to have a cup of this wonderful cocoa this morning. I noticed a woman with tupperware containers full of chocolate chatting with the owner. "Looks like you're having a chocolate tasting," I said. Turns out it was the Vancouver rep for Cluizel! :wub::shock::biggrin:

She let me taste a bunch of chocolate and I tried to convince the owner that yes, she should stock it and yes, people know what it is, and yes, people will buy it. "Yeah, but you're an EATER," she says. "Not everyone's an EATER." I love her.

So probably by next Friday she'll have those lovely cocoa bean shaped chocolates, tasting sets, and some cutie patootie little mushroom-shaped chocolates filled with praline and other delights. She also has local "Worker Bee" honey (carried by the same rep), one version is mixed with espresso (Watermark's putting it on their ribs), and a second version is made with rasberry purée blended with honey.

If anyone wants to contact the rep. for their business, PM me, as she gave me one of her cards.

The cocoa is lovely. It's very silky and creamy, served with a dollop of the marshmallow with another dollop of thick chocolate sauce. I preferred her mocha marshmallows since they were less sweet, but she said they weren't popular. I told her how much I loved them and she said, "Well, there you go, you gotta tell us!"

As I was leaving the owner asked me if I was Jewish and I said that I wasn't but people often thought I was. She said, "Well, that's because you're an EATER!" :biggrin:

Zuke

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

--Mae West

Hot chocolate in Vancouver is not great. We make ours at home in the Spanish style with a bit of added cornstarch and a pinch of chili....imagine liquid chocolate pudding....yummy.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Spent Sat. afternoon urban foraging with a couple of eGullet galz (whom I will encourage to chime in with their own reports) and tried the hot chocolate at The Elysian Room. When I walked in the smell of cardamom and ginger made me weak in the knees, and I really was tempted to try the chai, but I was on a mission. The hot chocolate is the best of any I've had in the city. It is elegant, not over-sweet by any means, and is topped with the signature calligraphy leaf. There is nothing "fake" about it. I think it's a very South Granville cup of "haute chocolat" whereas Anonas' is Main Street style all the way. I will be back to taste and talk chai. hopkins says he lets his chai brew for 24 hrs. That's commitment!

Also, the Elysian Room is in such a great location, since from there we wound our way to

Quince, Barbara Jo's Books to Cooks, Les Amis du Fromage, Patisserie LeBeau, Granville Island Market, Barbara Jo's Books to Cooks in Granville Island, foraging for lovely ingredients along the way.

(Sigh) Zuke

--Mae West

• 1 month later...

Recently had the chance to try a number of different brews on the West Side and Downtown

Blue Parrot GIM (X2)-mild Milk Chocolate-passable.

Benny's (x1)-lukewarm anemic and totally forgettable.

Blenz Dark Chocolate (x3)-rich satisfying just right not too sweet.

Caffe Artigiano (x4)-twice a somewhat satisfying drink, once outstanding once a gawdawful swill tossed into a Robson Street gutter.

Churrolicious (x1)-dark chocolate deeply satisfying in no way milky.

Elysian Room (x1)-watery brew with promise but no finish-ultimately unsatisfying.

I could go on and on about how cold/wet/desperate I was when I ordered this cup and how the staff at one place were outstanding individuals while others were the most callow bores but you've heard it all before haven't you :laugh:

In the end SBonner is right-quality product is thin on the ground here and with New Year's resolutions looming my quest will be delayed for some months. :sad:

Recently had the chance to try a number of different brews on the West Side and Downtown

Blue Parrot GIM (X2)-mild Milk Chocolate-passable.

Benny's (x1)-lukewarm anemic and totally forgettable.

Blenz Dark Chocolate (x3)-rich satisfying just right not too sweet.

Caffe Artigiano (x4)-twice a somewhat satisfying drink, once outstanding once a gawdawful swill tossed into a Robson Street gutter.

Churrolicious (x1)-dark chocolate deeply satisfying in no way milky.

Elysian Room (x1)-watery brew with promise but no finish-ultimately unsatisfying.

I could go on and on about how cold/wet/desperate I was when I ordered this cup and how the staff at one place were outstanding individuals while others were the most callow bores but you've heard it all before haven't you  :laugh: 

Nice comparisons....I think the problem we have in North America is the textural element of hot chocolate. In Europe they love to dip their churros and croissants in the hot chocolate so it is made rich and denser in texture. As I mentioned in a previous post in Spain a little cornstarch is added to the chocolate to give more texture and I think we all agree beside flavour, chocolate is very sensual and textural.

The hunt still continues.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I really welcome you guys to come and see me personally so I can make you a hot chocolate. If you don't like it, I am all ears for you to school me on what its lacking.

I'm sorry if you have been here and if your drink wasn't made with complete care, that is a mistake that I hope you'll allow us to make right and we can go from there.

Alistair Durie

Elysian Coffee

I really welcome you guys to come and see me personally so I can make you a hot chocolate.  If you don't like it, I am all ears for you to school me on what its lacking.

I'm sorry if you have been here and if your drink wasn't made with complete care, that is a mistake that I hope you'll allow us to make right and we can go from there.

I still think your hot chocolate is EXCELLENT. I've been craving one all week! Hopefully Saturday I can drop by for another fix. I like the balance between sweet and savory, dark and creamy.

If you boyz are lookig for a Spanish or Mexican hot chocolate, then that is a completely different beast and you must say so.

Don't change the recipe hopkin, please!

Zuke

--Mae West

I really welcome you guys to come and see me personally so I can make you a hot chocolate.  If you don't like it, I am all ears for you to school me on what its lacking.

I still think your hot chocolate is EXCELLENT. I've been craving one all week! Hopefully Saturday I can drop by for another fix. I like the balance between sweet and savory, dark and creamy.

If you boyz are lookig for a Spanish or Mexican hot chocolate, then that is a completely different beast and you must say so.

Don't change the recipe hopkin, please!

Zuke

Hey Zuke,

Good points but remember where hot chocolate came from... South America and early adopted by the Spanish.

Let's keep the hot chocolate hunt going. I'm off this Sunday and Monday so I'm going to try some of the locations mentioned in this thread. I'll report back.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

MY BLOG

Hey Zuke,

Good points but remember where hot chocolate came from... South America and early adopted by the Spanish.

Let's keep the hot chocolate hunt going. I'm off this Sunday and Monday so I'm going to try some of the locations mentioned in this thread. I'll report back.

I think her point was that if you are looking for a very thick spanish hot chocolate, that is a different thing than just "hot chocolate". The specific difference here is the absence of corn starch.

happy hunting.

Alistair Durie

Elysian Coffee

Hey Zuke,

I think her point was that if you are looking for a very thick spanish hot chocolate, that is a different thing than just "hot chocolate". The specific difference here is the absence of corn starch.

happy hunting.

Yes, I know the history, but my point is hot chocolate has been adopted by different ethnic groups and modified. I prefer the new world style of hopkins'. I'm somewhat familiar with the old world style, but it's not my favorite--in the same way I prefer a Bordeaux to a Burgundy. (It would be a better analogy to compare an old world wine to a new world one, but I like both styles.)

Chacun a son gout! Happy Drinking! :wink:

--Mae West