• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spectacular Dessert Sought

PaulaJK

Seeking a very special dessert for Christmas Eve Dinner

[about 20 people] ....

Parameters: rich & lovely

make ahead [freeze would be even better]

minimal last minute attention

Past endeavors included a puff pastry napoleon w. rum cream & fresh fruits,

a very rich chocolate cake, white chocolate cheesecake w. rasp.

This is one that is rather pretty and tastes delicious.

Note that this is a rather elegant variation of a bread pudding. The marzipan filling inside the little buns elevates it to a higher plane.

It is made ahead and served chilled. You can serve it with a small pitcher of warmed, sweetened and spiced heavy cream for each person to add if they wish.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

For my money, you can't do better than Viennese Linzertorte Cake. It's beautiful and looks like a pro made it if you follow the directions exactly, it's delicious and no one's ever had anything exactly like it, it's zingy from the Chinese 5 spice in it. And it will serve 20, with small slices. But it's very rich, so that could be perfect. Or you could serve it with something else, if you want to give people a dessert choice.

This takes pretty much all day to make, but benefits from a day or even two in the fridge.

A classic croquembouche made from custard filled profiteroles in a spun sugar "cage" .. cream puff profiteroles can be made in advance and frozen. Assembled before dinner. Spun sugar cage over the completed conical dessert. To me, the result is quite celebratory and festive!

decorated croquembouches ... variations

recipe courtesy Martha Stewart

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Babas au Rhum.

Plum Pudding fits all your requirements -- brought to the table flaming and served with hard sauce and/or cinnamon ice cream it's festive, (sadly) now unusual and easy to prepare ahead of time. For a flamefest, make individual puds in ramequins.

I like the Linzertorte idea too.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

For my money, you can't do better than Viennese Linzertorte Cake.  It's beautiful and looks like a pro made it if you follow the directions exactly, it's delicious and no one's ever had anything exactly like it, it's zingy from the Chinese 5 spice in it.  And it will serve 20, with small slices.  But it's very rich, so that could be perfect.  Or you could serve it with something else, if you want to give people a dessert choice. 

This takes pretty much all day to make, but benefits from a day or even two in the fridge.

I've made the linzertorte many times and it is as Abra describes. It is rich and does have a wow factor. I just make it for Christmas and the colours are very festive. It was on the cover of a late 90s Bon Apetite magazine.

Edited by oli (log)

[about 20 people] ....

Opera Cake. I have great success with Dorie Greenspan's recipe (which is out on the web somewhere...). It's divinely rich, makes enough to serve your crowd, and can be assembled and even frozen ahead. The only day-off (not even last minute) attention is to glaze the cake and through a little gold leaf on there for glitz. :wink:

[about 20 people] ....

Opera Cake. I have great success with Dorie Greenspan's recipe (which is out on the web somewhere...). It's divinely rich, makes enough to serve your crowd, and can be assembled and even frozen ahead. The only day-off (not even last minute) attention is to glaze the cake and through a little gold leaf on there for glitz. :wink:

Ruth, are you going through with the trouble of tempering the chocolate?

I agree. What is wrong with the traditional flaming Christmas Pudding and brandy butter with mince tarts to fill in any spaces?

Do you mean Desert or Pudding? Dessert is served after pudding

If you want to follow French tradition for Revillon (Christmas Eve) serve the Thirteen Desserts:

The thirteen are:

"Les quatres mendiants" or four beggars, representing the four holy orders:

Almonds for the Carmelites

Figs for the Franciscans

Raisins for the Dominicans

Walnuts for the Augustines

Four plates of fruit:

Apples

Pears

Tangerines

Grapes or Melon

Black Nougat (evil)

White Nougat (good)

Pate des Coings (Membrillo - Quince cheese)

Pompe a l'huile (sweet olive oil bread)

Dates

Also a Buche de Noel (Christmas log)

Other desert traditions are spice cookies, gingerbreads, chestnuts (for example a Mont Blanc) and, in our house a trifle.

Trifle is beloved by all, and as spectavualr as you want to make it...

An Austrian/Hungarian Dobos Torte is spectacular and delicious. I don't have much experience in freezing cakes so I can't comment on that issue. It is a large cake, but for 20 people you would need two cakes.

Here's an egullet thread discussing different recipes and approaches: click

Here is a sample photo of one that I found on google photos:

This shows the caramel layer on top but the sides look strange in the photo; it should be a dark chocolate buttercream, nice also to cover with chopped, roasted hazelnuts:

dobos torte photo

Here's a photo of a slice showing the many layers with chocolate buttercream in between: dobos slice

Another festive, special big cake would be a Schwarzwalder Kirsch Torte. (Black Forest Cake). Here's a recipe that uses three chocolate cake layers, kirsch syrup for soaking layers, sour cherries, a kirsch flavored buttercream and chocolate curls on top for decoration: Schwarzwalder Kirsch Torte This is different than the version I've made but it looks good...

I've also always been intrigued by Nesselode Pudding--the type that has chestnut puree, glaceed fruits and whipped cream in it and is frozen in a fancy bombe mold. I've not made one yet though.,,

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Baked Alaska. Fits your parameters. Who doesn't like stuff on fire?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

An Austrian/Hungarian Dobos Torte is spectacular and delicious.  I don't have much experience in freezing cakes so I can't comment on that issue.  It is a large cake, but for 20 people you would need two cakes.

Here's an egullet thread discussing different recipes and approaches: click

Here is a sample photo of one that I found on google photos:

This shows the caramel layer on top but the sides look strange in the photo; it should be a dark chocolate buttercream, nice also to cover with chopped, roasted hazelnuts:

dobos torte photo

Here's a photo of a slice showing the many layers with chocolate buttercream in between:  dobos slice

Another festive, special big cake would be a Schwarzwalder Kirsch Torte. (Black Forest Cake).  Here's a recipe that uses three chocolate cake layers, kirsch syrup for soaking layers, sour cherries, a kirsch flavored buttercream and chocolate curls on top for decoration:  Schwarzwalder Kirsch Torte  This is different than the version I've made but it looks good...

I've also always been intrigued by Nesselode Pudding--the type that has chestnut puree, glaceed fruits and whipped cream in it and is frozen in a fancy bombe mold.  I've not made one yet though.,,

The key to making Dobos look spectacular is the burnt sugar. Having made it many times in the past 30 years, doing the traditional topping separates the men from the boys. It does take a nak to make but well worth it.

[about 20 people] ....

Errmmmm.... tempering which chocolate? You've got cake, buttercream, syup, ganache & glaze -- no tempering there.

[about 20 people] ....

If you don't mind doing another very rich, decadent Chocolate cake try this one. It freezes very well and You can cut it frozen as well, to just serve a piece or two as needed. I had one double-wrapped in the freezer for about two months and the last piece was as good as the first. If you want it to really have it's best looks, thaw it completely in the refrigerator before showing it off--to avoid condensation from beading up on the glaze and making spots. It does contain whisky in it, so the kids might not like it, but most of the alcohol may bake out of it. I haven't tried to substitute anything for the whisky, but perhaps a 1/4 of cider instead of the 1/2 c whisky.

Black Velvet Cake

(10" Springform Pan)

14 oz semisweet chocolate in small pieces

1 c soft butter

1/4 c water

½ c + 2Tbs ground hazelnuts or pecans

½ c + 2Tbs ground almonds (grind the nuts with some of the sugar to prevent making nut paste)

½ c + 2Tbs pastry flour

6 eggs separated

1 1/3 c sugar

½ c whisky

Ganache Glaze:

1 c chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate

1 c heavy cream

White Icing

1 c confectioners' sugar

2 Tbs milk

½ tsp vanilla

Butter the springform pan, dust it with flour and line the bottom with parchment.

Melt the 14 oz chocolate and stir in the butter a little at a time until smooth. Add the water. Combine and set aside the nuts and flour. Whip theyolks until light and fluffy, gradually add the sugar, then fold in the chocolate mixture. Whip the whites to a soft peak and fold into the yolk mixture. Alternately add the whisky and the flour mixture in three batches.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake at 325°F for 45-50 minutes. When done, let sit on a rack until cool. Invert on a plate and glaze with the ganache, and drizzle with the white icing.**

Ganache Glaze: Heat the heavy cream to boiling and add to the chocolate in a bowl and stir until smooth. Stir occasionally till somewhat cooler and thickened, but pourable. Pour over the cake on a rack to make a smooth shiny glaze--don't over handle it by spreading, it will get cloudy; just pour quickly into the center of the cake and let it flow over the sides evenly.

White Icing: Mix the confectioners' sugar with the milk and vanilla and pipe out in thin crisscross lines across the top of the cake.

Butter the springform pan, dust it with flour and line the bottom with parchment.

Melt the 14 oz chocolate and stir in the butter a little at a time until smooth. Add the water. Combine and set aside the nuts and flour. Whip the yolks until light and fluffy, gradually add the sugar, then fold in the chocolate mixture. Whip the whites to a soft peak and fold into the yolk mixture. Alternately add the whisky and the flour mixture in three batches.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake at 325°F for 45-50 minutes. When done, let sit on a rack until cool. Invert on a plate and glaze with the ganache, and drizzle with the white icing.**

Ganache: Heat the heavy cream to boiling and add the chocolate and stir until smooth. Stir occasionally till cooler. Pour over the cake to make a smooth shiny glaze.

White Icing: Mix the confectioners' sugar with the milk and vanilla and pipe out in thin crisscross lines or swirls across the top of the cake.

Optional garnishes: silver dragees sprinkled sparingly on top, and/or little flickers of edible gold leaf

It's not the destination, but the journey!

[about 20 people] ....

Errmmmm.... tempering which chocolate? You've got cake, buttercream, syup, ganache & glaze -- no tempering there.

Well, the Opera Torte that I've seen made and in my recipe file, has a tempered chocolate glaze. That's one of the reasons I have not made it yet. But I've been thinking, who cares if its tempered or not, I'll just go for it.

Edited by oli (log)

for some reason christmas eve is all about gingerbread in my mind

Yiu could do a gingerbread house with mounds of great cookies for everyone to munch on and then put out for santa - I particularly like big soft gingerbread cookies warm from the oven

you can actually wow your guests by having all your cookies prepped and bake just before serving

altrnatively how about a gingerbread cake with sauteed apples and sabayon? I think in the Stars Dessert book there is a nice recipe for gingerbread 'boxes' with warm apple compote and sabayon

if you want to go the frozen route - how about a bombe?

you can bring several of you favorite holiday flavors together and use edible decor

pretty colors- unusual, impressive and easy to eat after a significant meal

[about 20 people] ....

Well, the Opera Torte that I've seen made and in my recipe file, has a tempered chocolate glaze. That's one of the reasons I have not made it yet. But I've been thinking, who cares if its tempered or not, I'll just go for it.

How curious. I never think of a glaze as being tempered -- because you're adding cream or shortening (or, if you're Alice Medrich, maybe water) to the chocolate to make the glaze, right? And if you're adding liquids or shortening to the chocolate, you're not really going to be tempering it in the standard sense. I'd be curious to see your recipe! If you're interested in investigating a new recipe, the Dorie Greenspan one posted higher up in this thread is really fool-proof.

[about 20 people] ....

How curious. I never think of a glaze as being tempered -- because you're adding cream or shortening (or, if you're Alice Medrich, maybe water) to the chocolate to make the glaze, right? And if you're adding liquids or shortening to the chocolate, you're not really going to be tempering it in the standard sense. I'd be curious to see your recipe! If you're interested in investigating a new recipe, the Dorie Greenspan one posted higher up in this thread is really fool-proof.

You know, I don't have it in front of me, so I will have to wait until I'm home. I think there was one on Great Chefs or similar program, maybe even Wofgang Puck. I might be able to find it, so stay tuned, I might even be wrong all this time.

Well, I was wrong after all. One of my recipes combines Coating Chocolate,

Couverture Semi-Sweet Chocolate, and Vegetable Oil.

The other recipe is a ganache as you stated.

Edited by oli (log)

if you want to go the frozen route - how about a bombe?

you can bring several of you favorite holiday flavors together and use edible decor

pretty colors- unusual, impressive and easy to eat after a significant meal

I was just happily perusing through Paula Wolferts newly reissued, "Cooking of Southwest France" and got reminded of a neat frozen bombe recipe. (This recipe is also in "Paula Wolfert's World of Food")

It is from a famous chef (Michael Bras) from the region:

"Lemon Meriingue Bombe with a Bitters Mousse and Black Currant Sauce".

(I've always been intrigued with this recipe.)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

How about a square of cake or gingerbread topped with the most decadent homemade ice cream recipe you can think of? Both could be made ahead. The possibility of combinations is virtually endless.

Or a Tarte Tatin topped with Calvados ice cream, or some other flavor combination you and your guests like.

Perhaps it is just my personal taste, but the bigger and fancier the dessert, the less impressed I am. The simple and delicious thing done perfectly is so much more impressive to me. Throw in a beautiful presentation and you had me at hello.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol