• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quark soft cheese

avocado

I picked up a tub of this at Whole Foods: Quark, made by the Vermont Butter and Cheese Co. It's soft, with a texture more similar to thick yogurt than cream cheese. It's also sharper than cream cheese, with an almost goat-cheesy tang.

So far I've just licked it thoughtfully from a spoon- anyone know how it's meant to be eaten?

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

I picked up a tub of this at Whole Foods: Quark, made by the Vermont Butter and Cheese Co. It's soft, with a texture more similar to thick yogurt than cream cheese. It's also sharper than cream cheese, with an almost goat-cheesy tang.

So far I've just licked it thoughtfully from a spoon- anyone know how it's meant to be eaten?

Straight.

It's a favourite among elderly Germans. My Grandmother ate it every morning, sometimes with berries, or oats. It's closest cousin is cottage cheese. You can probably do anything with it that you would normally do with CC.

I eat it almost every day, but the fat free kind, which is still amazingly delicious. Sometimes I eat it with a little vanilla mixed in, sometimes with a drizzle of dark maple strup, sometimes with some spicy applesauce. That's my dessert, 4-5 times a week.

Austrians like it sweetened a bit, flavored with vanilla and served with crepe-like pancakes; in Austria, this kind of Quark is called Topfen.

Also lightly sweetened, it's a good garnish for rote Grütze, which is basically a thickened, chilled fruit soup made with white wine, a bit of starch, and various berries, predominantly reddish-ones. Blackberries, raspberries, tiny European cranberries (regular cranberries are just fine), and even gooseberries can be used. If the fruits are more green or more yellow, it's still Grütze, but no longer rot.

When making cheesecake, Germans use quark where we would use cream cheese. I used it in Germany when making cheesecakes because it was so much cheaper than buying Philadelphia brand cream cheese or local versions of the same.

I've also seen it used in fruit salads.

It can be mixed with Muesli or granola.

Sometimes it is spread as is on bread as is commonly done in some countries with sour cream or cream cheese.

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

You can make pretty good quark at home and a lot cheaper than what Whole Foods sells it for. I can give you a recipe or if you google it you will find lots of information about it.

Woods

I use it pretty much anywhere I'd use sour cream or creme fraiche. It's a little thicker, but not so much that it significantly affects anything I've tried it in so far (soups, sauces etc, not baking)

A local cheese maker told me they use the same recipe for their Quark as for their Fromage Blanc, and they just label it differently because the people who want Fromage Blanc, won't buy Quark, and the people who want Quark won't buy Fromage Blanc :laugh:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I use it in Strudel. IIRC, mixed with an egg, sugar and vanilla.

Friends from Germany spread it on toast.

Yummy either way.

- Kim

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan