• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leaving South Philly

jmbrightman

The somber thought of leaving S. Philly for Washington Township makes me think of the line in Goodfellas:

Can't even get decent food - right after I got here, I ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce, and I got egg noodles and ketchup.

I belch, therefore, I ate...

if s. philly is your zone (south of south street) i offer a few of my favorites:

a meal, or at least a beer (a resurrection) at southwark (4th and bainbridge).

the banana and farmer's cheese challah french toast at sabrina's for brunch.

lao cuisine at 11th and washington and/or pho and cafe sua da (iced coffee) across the street.

the carpaccio followed by lasagna at mimosa (9th and south).

tatiana

We have about 9 weeks before we move.  What are your S Philly faves or hidden gems worth trying before we go?  Butchers, bakers, restaurants, take out and delivery... Also, any recommendations for the Jersey side are greatly appreciated. 

Jay

We'll miss you in the PA forum, but hope you'll be back frequently enough for commentary and will also keep us posted on good finds in your new neck of the woods, which isn't THAT far away after all.

A farewell dinner at Dmitri's is in order. Octopus, hummus and the best sugar snap peas known to man.

A Roast pork Italiano at Tony Luke's for old times sake.

And some amaretti cookies from Termini's to sweeten your sadness.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

That's pretty funny - I left WT for South Philly and haven't looked back. WT isn't all that bad for food though. An awful lot of South Philly places have opened up WT locations. Terminis has a branch in WT. There is a Cacia's in nearby Blackwood (I think a relative of the guy at 15th & Ritner, but just as good). There was a Barrel's there, but they didn't last long. There is a Talluto's in WT. For Italian cuisine, I would recommend Pasta Pomodoro (next door to Sal's Pizza, same owners). It holds its own against any Italian place in the city (at its price point). Liscio's bakery has a branch across the street from Sal's. I believe Tony Luke's uses Liscio's bread. For italian pastries, try Gianino's, in the same strip mall as Talluto's. For chinese, Lotus and Chef Chun are both excellent choices. Iron Moto, near the Walmart, has respectable Japanese. Pizza is WT is generally better than the pizza I've had in Philly. Seems like for every great pizza joint in Philly there's 20 horrible ones. You won't find the fancy brick oven type stuff in WT, but your average pie in WT will be better than your average pie in South Philly. Ditto with the chinese food. Chinese in Philly is dominated by crappy corner takeouts. It's rare to find good Chinese outside of Chinatown.