• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mail order spices

markovitch

Hello,

I just bought myself a new cuisinart coffee grinder, and i am now in the market for a spice merchant. i remember seeing posts here pointing to favorites, but i can't seem to find them.

I have found thespiceshop.com and a few others, but i never act without the opinions of egulletteers:)

I also remember alton brown repping a specific online merchant, but i can't remember that either.

help me egullet?

thanks!

edit: arrg, i put this in the wrong forum. i flagged myself already. sorry :(

Edited by markovitch (log)

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

I think that Alton did a segment on World Spice here in Seattle. Tony (the owner) has the best spices you could ask for quality-wise, and is a great guy in general, but he can be a pain in the XXX when you need a particular spice NOW & he won't sell it to you because it's not fresh/good enough. :wacko:

I also love that he carries some spices that are harder to find like Grains of Paradise.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I like Penzeys, too.

On my list to try:

The Spice House

Pure Spice

Cheers!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I like Penzeys, too.

On my list to try:

The Spice House

Pure Spice

Cheers!

We feel that Alton Brown is a friend of The Spice House. He filmed a really nice segment in our shop which has aired over the past few holidays about fruitcake. His crew was so friendly and professional. When you see an Alton Brown show, you have no idea how much goes into each segment, the man is an absolute perfectionist. But even more, he is a really nice man, he and his wife and crew brought us a fruitcake that they had lugged along in a cooler, how thoughtful is that?

I normally make a big Penzey's order every summer but this year I orderd from the Spice House. In addition to my regular selection of spices I needed smoked Spanish paprika (hot and sweet) and pomegranate molasses, neither were carried by Penzey's. I was very impressed with the quality from Spice House and will be using them again I am sure, but now I am divided.... :sad:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

We have been using Penzy's since they just had the one store in Waukesha Wisconsin. The spices they carry are of the best quality along with no worries about insects. I used to purchase some of my spices from the Indian merchants on Devon Street in Chicago but two rounds of insect infestation ended that. Since I switched to Penzy's we have had zero problems. I personally go to Penzy's to purchase our needs and I can tell you that the entire operation is top notch. -Dick

http://www.rafalspicecompany.com/ is a great place in the Eastern Market of Detroit, MI

On my many sojourns to the Market, this is a must stop if for nothing else other than the aromas that hit you when you open the door. Also a good mail order business for those times when I haven't been living in the area.

Here is another description of the place: http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=6594

Expat Russ

Expat Russ

Three Passions:

Food

Travel<=click to go to my travel website...

BBQ and BQ<=click to go to my blog about trying to balance great food and qualifying for the Boston Marathon

• 2 weeks later...
We feel that Alton Brown is a friend of The Spice House. He filmed a really nice segment in our shop which has aired over the past few holidays about fruitcake. His crew was so friendly and professional. When  you see an Alton Brown show, you have no idea how much goes into each segment, the man is an absolute perfectionist.  But even more, he is a really nice man, he and his wife and crew brought us a fruitcake that they had lugged along in a cooler, how thoughtful is that?

Another vote for The Spice House from me.

I like Penzeys, too.

On my list to try:

The Spice House

Pure Spice

Cheers!

I had a roommate that worked at the Spice House in Milwaukee, and their spices were consistently good. I've never tried ordering online, but I love what I've bought. They have shops in Evanston and Chicago too.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

My son in Chicago raves about The Spice House. I think he goes there just to inhale. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

It's always worth asking your grocer to carry some of these things. My local grocer had smoked paprika from Spain before I even knew I wanted it! I complained once about the tahini and lo, a new brand was stocked within a month. I live in Napa but believe me, the WalMart parking lot is packed and despite all that goes on upvalley, it's not so sophisticated.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

If you want some really interesting spices go to this great site where you'll find a range of Australian herbs, spices and seasonings..

Otherwise penzeys would be OK. Also International Foodsource.

The Spice House has probably the poorest quality product I know - badly packaged, old and flavorless product and I know he doesn't pay his suppliers so don't go there.

Introducing innovative Australian ingredients to creative chefs, cooks and foodies.

I like the Spice House. I dont like paying for shipping though so I tried the new penzeys when I was in the detroit area and I must say. I still like the Spice House better. So, until i can get to Chicago, I'll have to do mail order.

I love the ancho chili powder and the smoked paprika from the spice house. They make wonderful gift baskets too. Last year I sent my friend a basket and he was so impressed.

If you want some really interesting spices go to this great site where you'll find a range of Australian herbs, spices and seasonings..

Otherwise penzeys would be OK. Also International Foodsource.

The Spice House has probably the poorest quality product I know - badly packaged, old and flavorless product and I know he doesn't pay his suppliers so don't go there.

Let's see Vic, that would be your personal company, and you're a competitor to the two companies that are just "ok" and "poorest quality." I've bought your products in the past, especially when I was travelling in Australia, but I'd have to say you've just lost at least one customer.

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Casa SaltShaker - Restaurant de Puertas Cerradas

Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary - a must for any traveler!

• 2 weeks later...

oops sorry Richard i havent been on egullet in a while so i didnt see your post. cmc have been a total savior in finding the stuff that i can never seem to get elsewhere. i use them mainly for SE Asian and Middle Eastern ingredients but they have a pretty broad catalog of spices. ive never had a problem with their quality

maher

What about it? Tell us more.

Has anyone tried "Adriana's Caravan"?  I received a catalog and it had some interesting things...

I ordered a few things from Adriana's Caravan a few years ago, but they did not keep me on their mailing list as Penzey's has, so now I order from them.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Just a note. I have been ordering from The Spice House in Milwaukee by phone and now on line for at least 35 years.

I have never received any item that was of poor quality, indeed, I can't think of anything that was of less than excellent quality and the service is superior.

Several times, when I had a large order, I received extras, i.e., samples of new products for me to try.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett