• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Berentzen Apple Schnapps

marty mccabe

I love Berentzen Apple Schnapps, to an extent that it's almost a guilty pleasure. However, the only way I ever have it is over ice. Searching www.cocktaildb.com, I could only come up with the Apple Martini as a suggested cocktail. While I have no problem with apple martinis (other than that they are usually made with vodka), there has to be more...

Any ideas?

P.S. Their website is only in German, and I'm monolingual...

Edited by marty mccabe (log)

Marty McCabe

Boston, MA

Acme Cocktail Company

Berentzen seems to be the apple schnapps of preference among my shaker-wielding fans. Here's another one from Audrey:

Applejack Cobbler

2 oz. Lairds Applejack

1 oz. Fresh Cranberry sauce (recipe on ocean spray bag)

3, half-slices of orange (or 3/4 - 1oz fresh orange juice)

1/2 oz Punt e mes

1/2 oz Berentzens Apple Schnapps

1 barspoon Al Wadi Pomegranate Molasses

3 Dashes Angostura Bitters

Garnish:  Cape Gooseberry with "onion paper" skin peeled backwards and hooked over the rim of the glass.

Measure all ingredients into a mixing glass.  Muddle WELL.  Shake hard to at least a 10 second count, and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with gooseberry.  The color should be an opaque, ruby red---dark and bloody in effect.

There's also the Apple Core from First as featured in Anthony Giglio's Cocktails in New York (thread here) which is:

Apple Core

1.25 oz : apple vodka

0.75 oz : Berentzen Apfelkorn apple schnapps

0.25 oz : fresh lemon juice

1 tsp : apple cider

Fill cocktail glass 1/3 with apple foam (1 sheet gelatin per cup of fresh apple juice, charged in a charger). Shake with cracked ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

--

Taking a little bit from the Apple Core and the Apple Manhattan, I came up with:

2oz. Makers mark

1oz. Berentzen Apple

1oz. apple cider

2 dashes Angostrura bitters

Shake and strain into cocktail glass.

It's not done yet (and I don't know what to call it), but not a bad start.

Marty McCabe

Boston, MA

Acme Cocktail Company

I use Berentzen to make Appletinis instead of Apple Pucker. Much better end result:

2 oz. Grey Goose

1 oz. Berentzen

.5 oz. Midori

splash of sour mix

Shake the hell out of it and strain into chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a Granny Smith apple wedge.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Here is a recipe by George Delgado that sounds good--we haven't made it yet.

THE CRAN-APPLE COCKTAIL

1 1/2 oz. Laird’s blended Applejack

1/2 oz. Apple Berentzen

1/2 oz. Apple Juice

1 1/2 oz. Cranberry Juice

Shaken with ice and strained into a pre-chilled martini glass.

Garnish with a slice of green apple..

Question: Berentzen makes two different apple schnapps, Apfelkorn and Green Apple. Is one made from red apples and the other from green? Has anyone tasted both? How do they compare?

I was looking at the Berentzen today at the liquor store.

20%? That is barely a liqueur, let alone schnapps.

How is that even shelf stable?

Curious in CA.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I was looking at the Berentzen today at the liquor store.

20%?  That is barely a liqueur, let alone schnapps.

How is that even shelf stable?

Curious in CA.

-Erik

That's actually a good question. Never had a problem with it in the three years I had it stocked at my old job though. We used the Apfelkorn, the brown colored one. I didn't even know there was another flavor until scratchline's post yesterday. :huh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

Couldn't resist picking up some of the newly available French "Pomelle" apple liqueur while shopping at Trader Joes and comparing it to Berentzen Apfelkorn. Pomelle is from Normandy and made from Calvados and Apple juice.

Quick and easy comparison: The Berentzen tastes like a fresh apple cider liqueur. Pomelle, like a liqueur made from hard apple cider.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 years later...

Has anyone tasted both Berentzen Apple Schnapps and Schonauer Apfel and can tell me how they compare?

The subtitle for the Schonauer is "German Apple Schnapps Apfelkorn Liqueur". Like the Berentzen it is relatively low in proof logging in at 21% alcohol.

I haven't tried the Schonauer in cocktails yet; just enjoying it straight up at room temp or chilled. It has a nice apple flavor. I'm wondering how it might compare to the Berentzen so that I might be able to use it as a substitute in some of the cocktails mentioned above. It's not too expensive (at least where I bought in Reno; under $20, I'm pretty sure.)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

It's a fine substitute.  If anything, it might have less of an "artificial" apple flavor that sometime comes out in the Berentzen.  I often buy it, as it's distinctly cheaper, and I usually just end up drinking it over ice...

Thanks, this is great to know! I *was* rather surprised at the nice taste given its reasonable price.

Have you come up with a name for this cocktail or has it evolved to something different? It sounds very appealing.

Taking a little bit from the Apple Core and the Apple Manhattan, I came up with:

2oz. Makers mark

1oz. Berentzen Apple

1oz. apple cider

2 dashes Angostrura bitters

Shake and strain into cocktail glass.

It's not done yet (and I don't know what to call it), but not a bad start.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

It kind of wallowed there, and then I lost track of it. Honestly, it's really seasonal, so I only ever thing about it in the dead of winter.

The last time I played with it, I was reducing the amount of Berentzen by 1/4 oz, to balance it a bit more.

Have fun with it!

Marty McCabe

Boston, MA

Acme Cocktail Company

I used this last fall/cranberry season. Delicious.

"Ginger Smash", by

Jason Kosmas and Dushan Zaric of Employees Only

Servings

One Drink

Ingredients

12 whole cranberries

2 thin slices of ginger root

1 teaspoon of sugar

1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice

1 1/2 oz. wet gin

1 1/2 oz. Berentzen apple liqueur

Instructions

Muddle cranberries, ginger and sugar together. Add the remaining ingredients. Shake with ice. Pour into an old-fashioned glass.