• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cheese shop

WEGMANS

WEGMANS

WEGMANS

:wub:

Not only do they have a tremendous selection, but their staff is VERY knowledgeable--and helpful!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

WEGMANS

WEGMANS

WEGMANS

:wub:

Not only do they have a tremendous selection, but their staff is VERY knowledgeable--and helpful!

Thanks, It has been awhile since I have gone to Wegmans....not on my usual path , but I will have to make it a point to go.

What about the Summit Cheese Shop across from the train station?

I've always thought this was a terrific store run by a great guy.

I'll add my 'YES!" to this. Small store front packed with cheese. They prefer cash, but will take credit cards for larger orders. It is on Union (across from the train station) almost at the 'far' end of the block that the Starbucks is on.

Summit Cheese Shop

75 Union Place

Summit, N.J. 07901

908-273-7700

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

Alison:

Thanks for the details, I've always thought this was the best cheese store in Central NJ,

BTW... if lapasterie (or any other reader) is enough of a cheese fan to seeking out this sort of quality, he also should visit Valley Shepard in Long Valley.

Valley Shepard

This is one of America's top artisanal sheep cheese producers and a fantastic experience for anybody who loves great cheeses. Long time egullet readers should think of this place as a Bobolink Dairy for sheep.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

Does anyone know of a cheese shop in the central NJ area? I  know that Kings and   Shoprite carry alot but they are all cut and wrapped. There use to  be a few around but they are gone.

Bon Appetit in the Princeton Shopping Center on Harrison Avenue.

Olsson's Fine Foods in the Trenton Farmer's Market.

Kevin

Edited by brogie62 (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Was at the Summit Cheese shop today. All I can say is YUMMY! and very busy by mid morning. They even managed to squeeze a third person behind the counter.

Apparently NYTimes Dining Section on Sunday 11/20 had a nice review of the shop, along with several other cheese shops. It is prominently displayed by the front. I wanted to link it here, but couldn't get a link, there seems to be lag time of about a week for Sunday articles. So maybe next week.

AlisonA

edited to correct typo.

Edited by AlisonA (log)

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

Does anyone know of a cheese shop in the central NJ area? I  know that Kings and  Shoprite carry alot but they are all cut and wrapped. There use to  be a few around but they are gone.

Not sure what you consider Central NJ, but Crane's - a cheese shop - recenly opened in Maplewood Village.

It is not online, I believe, but Karla Cook wrote about cheese shops in NJ.

The ones I would consider Cetral NJ are:

Summit Cheese Shop 75 Union Place Summit 908 273-7700

Bon Appetit Princeton Shopping Center Princeton 609 924-7755

Sickle's Market 1 Harrison Avenue Little Silver 732-9563

If you are still looking I hope this helps.

Aaron

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Alison:

Thanks for the details, I've always thought this was the best cheese store in Central NJ,

BTW... if lapasterie (or any other reader) is enough of a cheese fan to seeking out this sort of quality, he also should visit Valley Shepard in Long Valley.

Valley Shepard

This is one of America's top artisanal sheep cheese producers and a fantastic experience for anybody who loves great cheeses. Long time egullet readers should think of this place as a Bobolink Dairy for sheep.

Thanks for the info...it is on our list of places to get to.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A great selection under one roof is going to be in Trenton at the Farmer's Market. There are several choices, but the old Dominic's is now Porfirios and they still have a good selection of italian cheeses. There is another shop down the hall that has a broader international selection, and still another bakery with a nice choice of cheeses. In the spring and summer, some vendors sell local farm cheeses, with some really nice chevre, mozzarella, farmers cheese, cheddar, and other goodies available.