• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Demo: Transfer Sheets on Chocolate Bonbons

John DePaula

Great! Thank you so much. I am excited to try it out. I am using the Revolution X machine to temper. I tried adjusting the temp. because I thought that could have been my problem. When I pressed the adjustment button the temperature reading did not change.

Are you familiar with this machine? Should it show an immediate temp. change?

Thanks again. I will report back, hopefully with more success.

With the rev X the chocolate needs to have reached the tempered state(after the beep) then you can adjust the temperature. (Up or down).

Hope this helps. :smile:

Pat

Great! Thank you so much. I am excited to try it out. I am using the Revolution X machine to temper. I tried adjusting the temp. because I thought that could have been my problem. When I pressed the adjustment button the temperature reading did not change.

Are you familiar with this machine? Should it show an immediate temp. change?

Thanks again. I will report back, hopefully with more success.

With the rev X the chocolate needs to have reached the tempered state(after the beep) then you can adjust the temperature. (Up or down).

Hope this helps. :smile:

When you press the button you can see the temp go up, but when you release it it pops back to current temp. It will then increase in temp to the new set point. This is after the temper was reached.

Mark

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

• 10 months later...

I wasn't sure where the most appropriate place to put this question was: I just got a honeycomb texture sheet from Chef Rubber to play around with, and I can't tell whether it is supposed to be reusable or not. That will make a difference in what sort of "playing around" I do :smile: . I assume that the chocolate is supposed to release cleanly from the sheet -- do I wash it after that, or just leave it alone? Or throw it out?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I wasn't sure where the most appropriate place to put this question was: I just got a honeycomb texture sheet from Chef Rubber to play around with, and I can't tell whether it is supposed to be reusable or not. That will make a difference in what sort of "playing around" I do  :smile: . I assume that the chocolate is supposed to release cleanly from the sheet -- do I wash it after that, or just leave it alone? Or throw it out?

Chris

They definately can be reused. If they are not too messy, you can just shake them to remove any excess chocolates. If not, I have rinsed them under hot water & patted them dry. You can also cut them into small peices & use them as you would use pieces of transfer sheets on hand dipped chocolates.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I wasn't sure where the most appropriate place to put this question was: I just got a honeycomb texture sheet from Chef Rubber to play around with, and I can't tell whether it is supposed to be reusable or not. That will make a difference in what sort of "playing around" I do  :smile: . I assume that the chocolate is supposed to release cleanly from the sheet -- do I wash it after that, or just leave it alone? Or throw it out?

Reuse them. You can just give them a polish if cocoa butter is the only material on them, but if dirty I'd wash with warm water before polishing.

Ditto what Mark & Kerry said.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Great thanks - of course, now Chocosphere calls me to tell me that both the white chocolate and the cocoa butter I ordered are out of stock.. great timing, I get new toys and can't play with them yet!  :sad:

Chris, you might try L'Epicerie to find some items. They have both small and large quantities.

If you're really in a bind, Pastry Chef.com could have some items, too.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 3 years later...

Hello All!

I've recently joined the society having read the threads posted by other society members since 2006. I decided to join because this summer I've had a chance to read more of the topics and I've come up with quite a few questions that I'm not sure have been answered (still making my way through all the threads) and I'm hoping to start my own chocolate business in the next couple years, so I felt that made me "worthy" of joining the society. This has been a great resource to go to when having chocolate troubles, and everyone who posts seems incredibly talented, so I'm really looking forward to interacting with everyone!

That said, my question in this thread is for John DePaula, you had mentioned:

In the latest ones I bought, the magnets were so strong they nearly snapped my fingers off! O.k....slight exaggeration, but they sure did pinch me!

I was wondering where you purchased those magnetic molds from? I usually get my from Kerekes in Brooklyn, but if there is another company that sells more heavy duty magnetic molds, I would rather buy the right ones the first time!

Also, I was curious about your profile picture...I'm guessing you used a magnetic mold with a texture sheet, but did you fill the texture sheet with burgundy/magenta colored cocoa butter then wiped the texture sheet clean before using it? It is quite stunning!

Hello All!

I've recently joined the society having read the threads posted by other society members since 2006. I decided to join because this summer I've had a chance to read more of the topics and I've come up with quite a few questions that I'm not sure have been answered (still making my way through all the threads) and I'm hoping to start my own chocolate business in the next couple years, so I felt that made me "worthy" of joining the society. This has been a great resource to go to when having chocolate troubles, and everyone who posts seems incredibly talented, so I'm really looking forward to interacting with everyone!

That said, my question in this thread is for John DePaula, you had mentioned:

In the latest ones I bought, the magnets were so strong they nearly snapped my fingers off! O.k....slight exaggeration, but they sure did pinch me!

I was wondering where you purchased those magnetic molds from? I usually get my from Kerekes in Brooklyn, but if there is another company that sells more heavy duty magnetic molds, I would rather buy the right ones the first time!

Also, I was curious about your profile picture...I'm guessing you used a magnetic mold with a texture sheet, but did you fill the texture sheet with burgundy/magenta colored cocoa butter then wiped the texture sheet clean before using it? It is quite stunning!

Haven't seen John posting in a while thought I'm sure he's still out there. When you call to ask about the molds ask if the back is metal or plastic. I tend to find the metal backs 'stronger' than the plastic ones.

You can buy magnetic molds from Chocolat-chocolat which is in Montreal Canada as well. JB Prince in NYC also sells them and for a fairly good price as I recall.

The trick to the profile picture is that he painted the little lines in a texture sheet with coloured cocoa butter, then molded white chocolate behind. Too much work for everyday!