• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gill Review of the Week

*Deborah*

Link

I really don't have much of an opinion of the Library Square pub: a quick Irish coffee after work one day, without whipped cream--"I think they ran out" said the server--but this is quite a bloomer of a typo on somebody's part:

The Library Square is, after all, really just an upscale pub. Operated by Donnelly Hospitality, owners of Bimini's and the Denman Street Free House, the restaurant has taken on the daunting task of catering to an eclectic crowd of gentile culture vultures and rowdy sports fans. Can the two co-exist on a diet of salmon salads, burgers and Stella Artois?

(I'm guessing the word wanted was genteel, not shiksa :laugh:)

There's also a rather egregious "crème brule". Someone at the Globe was up too late drowning their sorrows about the Leafs' loss, perhaps.

At least Ms. Gill has nice things to say about Cassis, which is still on my "to try" list.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I will not comment on the spelling or grammer.

Cuz, I doan spel sew gud mysefl.

But the whole thing left me wondering which place was the focal point of the article.

Was it a sideways shot at a pub withing throwing distance of the hockey arena or praise upon the french bistro. It would appear both lived up to expectations. No news there.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I don't speak for any other critic in the city, but I want to take the opportunity to say thank you for not considering our work to be "thread-worthy".  :cool:

:laugh:

We always seem to end up talking about her anyways...

And I am *not* blaming her for the errors, they could be anyone's!

Agenda-free since 1966.

I don't speak for any other critic in the city, but I want to take the opportunity to say thank you for not considering our work to be "thread-worthy".  :cool:

I feel equally threadbare.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Okay - just read the review for Wink in the Globe. It is not a nice review - but hey - its her M.O. - it makes for a quick read - so whatever.

My question is this. Accompanying the article is a nicely lit (possibly staged) picture, so I am assuming that the restaurant participated in the photo shoot. Is this standard practice? To give a poor review but then have a picture staged at the scene of the crime?

I don't think Wink would have allowed a photo to be taken and published if they knew that the accompanying text would be so negative. Seems like a mean trick to play - and adding salt to the wound.

My question is this. Accompanying the article is a nicely lit (possibly staged) picture, so I am assuming that the restaurant participated in the photo shoot. Is this standard practice? To give a poor review but then have a picture staged at the scene of the crime?

I don't think Wink would have allowed a photo to be taken and published if they knew that the accompanying text would be so negative. Seems like a mean trick to play - and adding salt to the wound.

When I do I review for the WE, regardless of whether it's positive or negative, I have to arrange for the staff photographer to come down and take some shots a few days later.

"Hi this is Andrew Morrison calling. I'm reviewing your restaurant for next week's issue, and was wondering when it would be a good time to send our photographer down?"

"Is it a good review?"

"You'll have to wait until Thursday, I'm afraid."

It's awkward at best, but there it is. I doubt Ms. Gill has to personally arrange for her photography, but if she does it's likely she follows a similar path.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Andrew

Thanks for the scoop - I was just curious how these things work out. Especially in this case where the review was quite negative - yet there is a huge color picture accompanying the article.

You are right - and I can see that an extra layer of malice was not intended - but it does up the 'awkward' quotient. Better you than me making those phone calls.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

After this review, she's starting to get on my tits. I mean a food writer who doesn't know the basics about how wine is made--What is the point?

Zuke

I find her latest article to have the same condescending tone as her review for DIVA at the Met, where she brought her other friend as well.

EDIT: Also for those wishing to read the article (sans picture): Click Here

Edited by kontemporary (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

fyi, for those who are curious about the 'vegan wine' mentioned in the article, i'm assuming that the wine hasn't been through 'fining' which involves filtering out sediment via egg whites.

andrew, shall we just start a 'schadenfraude' thread?

k.

I've been biting my tongue for a couple of weeks now, but after reading the Giller's latest review I can no longer keep silent.

What is with this woman? That was the most inane "review" (and I use the term very loosely) I've ever read. 3/4 blog, 1/4 review. After reading it, I know a lot more about her friend from up north than I do about Wink.

Based on her writing, Ms. Gill reminds me of that type of person who is so insecure about themselves that they need to insult everything and everyone they come across. I suppose growing up in Etobicoke will do that to you. Then again, what can you expect from the paper that also provide a weekly column to Leah McLaren? :rolleyes:

Has anyone here eaten at Wink? I'd like to hear some actual opinions, hold the condescension.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

I've never eaten at Wink, but her review, negative though it is, doesn't exactly leave me thinking I should avoid the place. Her credibility is shot, with me at least. If she ever raved about something, I doubt if I'd be inclined to try it either. At first I thought Gill's reviews were kind of cheeky and at least interesting, but I've lost patience and interest. Not only does she seem to lack food knowledge, she doesn't seem to know much about her friend's preferences either.

I find the egullet post-discussion much more informative and useful!

**Melanie**

Urgh. Yet more proof that I am not the editor of The Globe and Mail's food columns or West Coast page or whatever it is.

They should just call her column "SNAP"

ETA that she obviously doesn't read the Gullet as much as I do: I learned that factlet about isinglass some time ago. :wink:

Oh, and Ms. Gill: honey is not considered vegan by people in Vancouver. Not sure what Yukon food snobs think of it though.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

I eat at Wink a couple of times a week. Lurking there, as is my nature.

It is what it is, a decent little hipster-neighbourhood vegetarian spot with the cutest girl ever (Sarah) working the counter. It's pretty simple. You go to the counter, you point at what you want to eat, you pay for it (Interac, fortunately for Ms. Gill, is within arm's reach), and Sarah brings it to you when it's ready. She perhaps has more enthusiasm than culinary training, but what the hell. A chickpea salad, soup or grilled sandwich with a happy planet juice doesn't need a red seal or sommelier's ticket. They do their biggest sales on Sunday night when improv comedy takes over the stage/dining dais. The food is a bit hit and miss, but for six bucks, it's better than the wraps up the street and a good foil to budgie's colon blockers. Secret crushes on Sarah aside, I quite like the place.

This was just a stupid review. I don't know how she found Wink or what she thought the dining experience was going to be, but it's obvious she did little pre-visit research. It's like giving the family-run falafel place on Denman Street a bad review because your "snooty drunks club" buddy had to go to the counter to order mediocre wine. Are you kidding me?

Anyway, I hope this gets me Sarah's phone number...

Edited by MightyMrQ (log)

Quentin Kayne

... Not sure what Yukon food snobs think of it though.

Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.

Haines Junction, Yukon is home to the Raven Hotel, one of the 19 Where to Eat in Canada 3-star dining properties (among the likes of West, Lumiere, Susur, Toque, etc). Amazing meals in the land of the midnight sun.

Quentin Kayne

... Not sure what Yukon food snobs think of it though.

Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.

Haines Junction, Yukon is home to the Raven Hotel, one of the 19 Where to Eat in Canada 3-star dining properties (among the likes of West, Lumiere, Susur, Toque, etc). Amazing meals in the land of the midnight sun.

*smacks self on forehead*

You know, reading the article, I said to myself, Ah, NWT (didn't know about Haines Junction though, thanks!), and I still wrote Yukon.

It's the colour thing: Whitehorse, Yellowknife...I've only been to Whitehorse, I'm afraid. And I still get Hamilton and Homer mixed up, and I've lived two blocks away for like 4 years now. Sigh.

Apologies to Yukon non-food-snobs! :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.