• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Think I'm Gonna Deep Fry This Duck

divalasvegas

Okay folks, I've got good news and bad news and pretty damn good news and some more bad news and............................. oh Hell, let me just get on with it.

Well the good news is that I took the advice given by all of you to steam the duck first. Wow even flabby and steamed, it still smelled and tasted good. So I washed, dried, and filled up my turkey fryer with the peanut oil, turned on the switch and.............

NOTHING. NADA. NO JUICE. NOT EVEN A CLICK. NOTHING, I SAY!!!

To say that I was really pissed off would be a gross understatement. I was livid and reporting back to eG at that time would have made me look way less than lady-like, to say the least. I had my brother take a look at it. Mind you, I've only used this thing once, just once last Thanksgiving. Since it was the first electric turkey fryer made by Masterbuilt, my model is a bit outdated and doesn't have a spout to drain the oil, so removing the oil is a bit of a chore. The newer models have such a spout and drainage system. He's an engineer and could find nothing wrong with the unit. He also checked the outlet I plugged it into; still nothing wrong. The desire to cook quickly evaporated needless to say. I put the steamed duck away and began furiously calling Masterbuilt. It was late, so I couldn't get a "live" person, only a recording. I left a couple of rather pissed off messages. I finally did speak with a real person, who said something about making sure the mount bearing was connecting properly or whatever.

Unfortunately for Masterbuilt, not only is my brother an engineer who will be speaking with one of their customer service reps but his girlfriend works for the national headquarters of the Better Business Bureau in Arlington, Virginia. I've already lodged a formal complaint against the company. All I can say is thank God for QVC. I called them and even almost a year later they told me to ship it back to them and that they would do whatever it took to make me happy, either replace the damn thing or give me a full refund. Again, kudos to QVC. I really like having such a device, but I'm dubious about taking a chance with Masterbuilt again. If I do decide to let them replace it, it will be the latest model.

Anyway, I seasoned the duck with some soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, salt and pepper and oven roasted it. Wow that was so delicious, the skin so crispy and the flesh moist and tender. I will definitely be doing this again. Thanks again everyone for your advice to steam the duck. I bought flour tortillas and warmed them, wrapping that lovely duck in them with a little hoisin sauce. I also bought some plum sauce made by Reese. I know that this product is probably not authentic Chinese, but I really like it; the taste of plums, five spice and soy and whatever else is in there is really tasty. Why the Hell haven't I been eating more duck? Well I will now. Oops almost forgot to say that I made hrzt8w's bamboo shoots and snow peas and it was most certainly the da bomb!

I'll report back with my Masterbuilt saga, but for now all I can say is keep your money and don't buy this product. The really great news is that at least my Thanksgiving won't be ruined by this crappy product since I had planned on making my turkey with it this year.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

That's really, really odd. It reminds me a lot of one of my hot-pots. It just randomly stopped working one day, so I took it apart and found that the rheostat had a piece go bad... so I wired around the rheostat and it worked like a charm.

Of course, it only had two speeds after that... plugged in and plugged out. But, since I only boil water in it for coffee, that wasn't a huge issue.

Best of luck! And, I'm glad the duck turned out edible!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Thanks so much winesonoma but I have to confess that I'm a propane phobic. That's why I bought this electric one. It really did a fantastic job, but at $111 and change it was the most expensive piece of meat per pound I've ever made! :rolleyes: Wish me luck in getting a suitable replacement.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

....."Bright light city gonna set my soul

Gonna set my soul on fire

Got a whole lot of duck that's ready to burn,

So get those flames up higher"....

Diva, I am sorry to hear, but also happy to hear, and then again interested to learn and then again happy to hear, that everything went so well.. You have inspired me to try to steam a full duck and to do anything after that, that the situation calls for.. To stuff in dumplings, or to fry, or broil, or roast, or just eat...

I hope that the broken fryer situation made you get in contact with your brother... From there I hope you invited him over for duck and it was a great evening..

Where are the photos?

....."Bright light city gonna set my soul

Gonna set my soul on fire

Got a whole lot of duck that's ready to burn,

So get those flames up higher"....

Diva, I am sorry to hear, but also happy to hear, and then again interested to learn and then again happy to hear, that everything went so well..  You have inspired me to try to steam a full duck and to do anything after that, that the situation calls for.. To stuff in dumplings, or to fry, or broil, or roast, or just eat... 

I hope that the broken fryer situation made you get in contact with your brother... From there I hope you invited him over for duck and it was a great evening..

Where are the photos?

LOL Daniel!!! That was brilliant! Yes, please do the whole steaming thing; it really produces great results. It was a definite triple play of flavors: tasty moist meat, crispy skin, and that sticky, luscious subcutaneous fat. Mmmmmmm subcutaneous fat..............

I'm not photo savvy, so I may need your help on that one. :smile: