• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Think I'm Gonna Deep Fry This Duck

divalasvegas

I love crispy duck skin and moist duck meat, so I've decided to try deep frying one. It's a six pound supermarket duck (Safeway, Maple Leaf is the brand name, I think). Last year's deep fried turkey was such a success and the manfacturer's booklet with instructions and safety precautions that came with the deep fryer offered a wide variety of foods that can be either deep fried, steamed, or boiled. Using this device is incredibly easy. But the manufacturer didn't say anything about duck, though I can't understand why that would be a problem.

Anyway, here is the device I own:

Electric Turkey Fryer

I tried to find an image on the web without any reference to where I purchased it, but apparently this version is already a bit obsolete, since the newer models have a few more bells and whistles. But I still love the results of this one.

I found the following recipe in one of GiftedGourmet's previous posts and it really does sound delicious. However, I don't think it would be suitable to marinade/brush this on before putting it in the deep fryer since it might burn the skin because the sweetness of the ingredients used before the meat is done. I have an injector, so I was thinking about injecting the bird with this glaze, saving what's left over for the table. As for seasoning the skin, usually I just make sure the turkey is absolutely dry inside and out, rub with a little oil, season with creole seasoning and black pepper and fry away. But for the following recipe, maybe just rub down the duck with a cut orange and garlic clove, dry and oil it, salt, pepper and then cook. I was also wondering if I should prick the skin all over as is done with roasted duck or would the deep frying method make that unnecessary? Also, the recipe calls for port wine: any not to expensive suggestions?

Glazed Duck Recipe

Any tips, suggestions, caveats, additional recipes would be appreciated.

Edited for grammar and to add another question.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

On Iron Chef America Bobby deep fried a duck, I just cant remember what he did to it before hand. He may have done a soy based marinade trying to duplicate Peking Duck.

anyone remember more? want to admit to having watched it?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Awesome Diva, Do it do it do it.. I have been wanting to deep fry a duck for some time now. I am no chef so cant give you any real help.. I just want to maybe ask a question someone else could answer.. I recently looked at a recipe that calls for steaming the duck first before deep frying.. How would this be better or worse then just deep frying...

Edited by Daniel (log)

Mind you, I am a total novice deep-fryer and have never attempted a whole bird. But you got me curious enough to Google. I turned up a number of Asian-oriented recipes that all include a preliminary step of steaming the duck before deep-frying it. My admittedly naive guess is that this step either gets a little excess fat out from under the duck's skin, or causes that skin to get crispier when deep-fried, or some of both. In any case, these two recipes looked pretty promising:

Here's one

And here's the other ("timur" in the ingredients is apparently Szechuan pepper)

Oh mizducky .................. I should have known with your screen name that you'd have some great input! :biggrin: That Chinese-style recipe has me drooling. And when they got to the part about chopping it up, bones and all, well I love eating any kind of meat, poultry, fish on the bone. Delicious! I think I'm going with this one. Thanks so much. However, I think I'll skip the steaming part since I can't imagine that steaming it would really make much of a difference since the deep frying will most likely render the fat quite well.

In the seasoning suggestions part, it says:

VARIATIONS:

1. In Step 1, rub duck with any of the following mixtures:

a. 2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon anise pepper and 1/8 teaspoon Five Spices

b. 2 tablespoons sherry, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper

c. 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon brown bean sauce, mashed; and 1/2 teaspoon Five Spices

d. 1 to 2 scallion stalks and 3 or 4 slices fresh ginger root, both minced; 1 tablespoon Szechwan peppercorns, crushed; and 2 teaspoons salt

2. In Step 2, before steaming, add to bowl with duck 2 scallion stalks and 2 or 3 slices fresh ginger root.

3. In Step 3, before trussing duck, coat with a mixture of 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1 tablespoon soy sauce; or 3 tablespoons flour and 1 egg, lightly beaten.

I was thinking about a combination from the above: soy sauce, sherry, (still not sure about adding sugar), five spices, maybe rub it all over inside and out with garlic and ginger before frying.

Thanks for the encouragement Daniel.

rooftop 1000 maybe I'll do a search on the FoodTv website, but I think I've found what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

diva,

My suggestion is, whichever you plan on doing, make sure that when you get ready to place the duck in the oil, make sure that the skin and underlying tissue are reasonably dry. You don't want blow-outs, or blow-ups.

I like the marinade in soy et al, steam, fry. I think that should turn out really well given the disparity in cavity size and breast meat volume compared to a turkey.

You're right about steaming rendering the fat, but I'm slightly concerned about frying time... it would be a shame to have the skin and fat done, but the bird not warmed through... that's why I'd advocate steam, towel, fry. The frying would be just enough to crisp the skin.

Best of luck!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I turned up a number of Asian-oriented recipes that all include a preliminary step of steaming the duck before deep-frying it. My admittedly naive guess is that this step either gets a little excess fat out from under the duck's skin, or causes that skin to get crispier when deep-fried, or some of both.

The steaming softens and renders the fat without drying out the meat.

diva,

My suggestion is, whichever you plan on doing, make sure that when you get ready to place the duck in the oil, make sure that the skin and underlying tissue are reasonably dry.  You don't want blow-outs, or blow-ups.

Girls and male TV news anchors will tell you otherwise, but this is what god invented hair dryers for.

Don't do it like this

Or this

Otherwise, you should be good. Just make sure that you do it outside and not under a low cover on anything, like a porch roof. Stuff starts burning down around this time of year when people get the frying bug.

Sounds like fun, let us know how it turns out.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Thanks jsolomon. I was wondering how the deep frying process might change with a smaller bird. I will certainly take your advice under consideration.

Don't do it like this

Or this

Otherwise, you should be good. Just make sure that you do it outside and not under a low cover on anything, like a porch roof. Stuff starts burning down around this time of year when people get the frying bug.

Hi Mayhaw Man. All the best to you and yours; I hope you all are getting back to normal as quickly as possible.

You know all of the fire hazard issues always concerned me even though I really wanted to deep fry a turkey. I admit to be totally chicken shit when it comes to propane, open flames, and gas lines. So when I saw this electric version I knew I had to have it. You use it indoors and it is so safe and idiot-proof you wouldn't believe.

Thanks and take care.

I turned up a number of Asian-oriented recipes that all include a preliminary step of steaming the duck before deep-frying it. My admittedly naive guess is that this step either gets a little excess fat out from under the duck's skin, or causes that skin to get crispier when deep-fried, or some of both.

Right on both counts! Getting the excess fat out is crucial. People who claim that duck is "greasy" have probably been subjected to gross quantities of subcutaneous fat that didn't get properly rendered. Steaming does help with the skin crisping thing as well.

One of my favorite duck recipes is Paul Bertolli's "Steamed and Roasted Duck" from Chez Pannisse Cooking. One crucial step is pricking the skin wherever the fat layer is thick. Just take a fork and gently poke through the skin. Don't stab violently! :shock::laugh: The idea is to perforate the skin so that the fat renders out more easily.

Steam the duck in a big roasting pan or wok. Place it on a platter that's deep enough to catch the juices and fat as the duck steams. It takes about 1 hour to steam a ~ 5 pound duck. That sounds like a lot, but the steaming temperature needs to be slow and gentle. When you're done there will be a huge amount of fat in the platter. Save it to do wonderful duck-fatty things. :smile: You'll also get some highly concentrated duck jus - excellent!

Bertolli's recipe calls for crisping the skin in a high oven. Your deep-frying should accomplish much the same. I think the traditional asian technique is actually to suspend the duck over the oil, basting it continuously with the hot oil. Deep frying sounds easier.

However, I don't think it would be suitable to marinade/brush this on before putting it in the deep fryer since it might burn the skin because the sweetness of the ingredients used before the meat is done.  I have an injector, so I was thinking about injecting the bird with this glaze, saving what's left over for the table.

Any tips, suggestions, caveats, additional recipes would be appreciated.

Edited for grammar and to add another question.

OHHHHHH NOOOOOOO!!!!

CAVEAT!!!!!! CAVEAT!!!!!

Do not, whatever you do, inject with ANYTHING sweet. If I knew how to give you that little clicketyclick blue line, I'd refer you to a post in "I will never again..." but it's #983, from March 17, with details of our fiasco with honey/butter injections into a turkey. The story is not a pretty one. :shock:

Mt. Etna and Vesuvius combined could not equal the eruption of boiling oil and the damage done to that innocent turkey. :sad:

OMG! I had forgotten about that post. Here is a direct link. I am again reduced to a shapeless puddle on the floor after rereading that. That is one of those posts not to be missed.

I have never done this but I am thinking that there is so much fat on a duck that if you don't gently steam it to render a bunch of it out before frying, you are going to have a mess. I don't think the fat will render out in the fryer before the duck isn't overcooked. And, by steaming, you can save that duck fat.

Please report. I would like to try this the next time we do turkeys.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Don't do it like this

Or this

Me too! Deep fried duck..... :wub:

But I suggest that you click on the links in Brooks's post. That is some fine food writing, (Cue commercial music)courtesy of The Daily Gullet.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Dammit, Maggie!!! 3:30 a.m. is no time to be reading stuff like that, with the whole household sound asleep!! I've been in here by myself hee-hawing like an idiot, and have had to get up twice and go get some paper towels to wipe these tears off my face. And I just got through the first installment. That was some kind of fun.

Reminded me of a Barry Hannah story about the old man whose son had got above hisself and built a big mansion, and Grandpa was bored. So he cut both ends out of a mailbox and nailed it in his bedroom window. He would pay the kids a quarter apiece to carry the poor old chickens up the stairs to his room, where he would stick a chicken in the mailbox and Goooosh it out the other end with a toilet plunger. I think they took bets on where the chicken would land, and if it would live through the drop.

Turkeys don't take directions well.

And I hope this chair dries by morning.

Right on both counts! Getting the excess fat out is crucial. People who claim that duck is "greasy" have probably been subjected to gross quantities of subcutaneous fat that didn't get properly rendered. Steaming does help with the skin crisping thing as well.

One of my favorite duck recipes is Paul Bertolli's "Steamed and Roasted Duck" from Chez Pannisse Cooking. One crucial step is pricking the skin wherever the fat layer is thick. Just take a fork and gently poke through the skin. Don't stab violently! :shock::laugh: The idea is to perforate the skin so that the fat renders out more easily.

Steam the duck in a big roasting pan or wok. Place it on a platter that's deep enough to catch the juices and fat as the duck steams. It takes about 1 hour to steam a ~ 5 pound duck. That sounds like a lot, but the steaming temperature needs to be slow and gentle. When you're done there will be a huge amount of fat in the platter. Save it to do wonderful duck-fatty things. :smile: You'll also get some highly concentrated duck jus - excellent!

Bertolli's recipe calls for crisping the skin in a high oven. Your deep-frying should accomplish much the same. I think the traditional asian technique is actually to suspend the duck over the oil, basting it continuously with the hot oil. Deep frying sounds easier.

Thanks edsel. I think my concern is that after steaming this bird will be going into a whole lotta hot oil and that the moisture absorbed by steaming it will create a somewhat hazardous situation in my kitchen. Am I wrong? I can see steaming then roasting in an oven, but putting a steamed bird into 400 degree oil, even if I wipe/pat it dry won't it still be pretty moist and perhaps cause a boil over?

Your advice/opinions are deeply appreciated.

OMG racheld , fifi and M.X. Hassett ................ I just read the post about that damn armageddon turkey. I can't thank all of you enough for making me laugh so hard, that was just the best!!! And, since I'm about to go to the store in a few hours thank you for guiding me away from any kind of sweet stuff to inject into the duck.

Just a couple of questions.

1) Should I not inject at all? Would it be too overwhelming for the duck flesh?

2) I've decided on the seasoning before I deep fry...... soy sauce, a little sesame oil, salt, pepper, garlic, ginger. I was thinking about adding sherry to the seasoning melange, but I'm not a big sherry drinker and don't know if it's worth it to buy a whole bottle of something I would probably rarely use. Also, I was going to use 5 spice powder, but I'm planning to serve this like Peking duck and have several sauces on the side such as hoisin, plum, sriracha even, so I don't think the five spice is necessary. Opinions?

3) I'm not sure if the store has the type of "pancakes" used for peking duck, so any substitutions? Should I just buy wonton wrappers and steam them? Sorry for being so clueless.

Thanks everyone for helping me get through this.

Now, what to do with all of that duck fat infused peanut oil................ :smile:

Well I'm off to the grocery store for some last minute items and running a few errands. I should be back in a couple of hours. If anyone has anything to add, any advice in the meantime, I would deeply appreciate it. I'll be marinating the duck for a couple of hours after I get back, so write away if you can.

Wish me luck.

Have a great Sunday.

Hello All,

Well I'm back, finally. Little ducky is now marinating in garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and soy sauce. I also got snow peas and bamboo shoots to make hrzt8w's dish.

In about an hour or so, I'll be dropping--bad use of words--gently lowering the duck into the hot peanut oil.

Again, thanks so much for all of your advice.

I'll report back later.

Pictures, if possible, please.

And, best of luck, as always.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.