• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jason Perlow

Looks great!!!  Correct me if I am wrong...this is actually "Wor-Tip" or "Gwor-Tiea" (potstickers) and only steamed or boiled dumplings are called Jiaozi.

The boiled dumplings are in fact called jiaozi. I'm not sure about the steamed ones, I actually doubt it, since I've haven't even heard of a phrase used to described steamed dumplings in general.

Looks great!!!  Correct me if I am wrong...this is actually "Wor-Tip" or "Gwor-Tiea" (potstickers) and only steamed or boiled dumplings are called Jiaozi.

The boiled dumplings are in fact called jiaozi. I'm not sure about the steamed ones, I actually doubt it, since I've haven't even heard of a phrase used to described steamed dumplings in general.

I agree with AzianBrewer about jiaozi being boiled. Learned to make these when we had a visiting professor and his wife leading +20 of my Mandarin classmates for Chinese New Year in 2003.

Wor-Teep is when you put the dumplings into a fry-pan or sautee pan, add some broth and cover to steam until the small amount of broth is gone. The dumplings will then brown and form a crispy skin. So, War-teeps are steamed(boiled) then pan fried.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I learned that when eating "Jiaozi" it best authentically enjoyed with a Chopped Garlic, Vinegar, Cilantro, Sesame Oil and Dark Soy mixture for dipping. In Hong Kong the ladies also would enjoy individual cloves of Garlic together with each Boiled/Steamed Dumpling.

In Seattle we are fortunate to have a newly opened Restaurant making fresh to order Dumplings/Jiaozi called "Fu Man Dumpling House" that taste almost as good as home made. They also prepare a Chinese Pork, or Beef "Hamburger" type that's covered with a thin pastry skin and pan grilled that very enjoyable. 2 pieces are in each serving for only $4.25. The owners are from Northern China via Taiwan.

Jiaozi are very regional but also universal to most areas of China. They may be particular to someones family or origins or even a Restaurants own style but I always order and enjoy them if offered.

Potstickers generally are made in a slightly thicker Dough and rarely have any veggies added to the fillings except for Flat Leafed Parsley or Cilantro.

Irwin

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I agree with AzianBrewer about jiaozi being boiled. Learned to make these when we had a visiting professor and his wife leading +20 of my Mandarin classmates for Chinese New Year in 2003.

Wor-Teep is when you put the dumplings into a fry-pan or sautee pan, add some broth and cover to steam until the small amount of broth is gone. The dumplings will then brown and form a crispy skin. So, War-teeps are steamed(boiled) then pan fried.

Dejah -- I've always (most always) browned the guo tie in the pan first, then added the water -- let them cook, covered, then let the water boil away and allow the bottoms to crisp.

Then I read of a Shanghai way that doesn't brown them first. Just the oiled pan, the water, the cooking and then allowing the liquid to boil away so the browning can take place.

Is your way the latter? Is that Toisanese? AND Shanghainese?

Dejah -- I've always (most always) browned the guo tie in the pan first, then added the water -- let them cook, covered, then let the water boil away and allow the bottoms to crisp. 

...Then I read of a Shanghai way that doesn't brown them first. Just the oiled pan, the water, the cooking and then allowing the liquid to boil away so the browning can take place.

If you brown the potstickers first, then add water, the skin (wrapper) will get soggy/soft at the end. Let the water do the boiling/steaming first, then when the water all evaporates away (and the oil remains) you will have some nice, crispy brown skins. Most efficient.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Huh? I thought I posted my response to jo-mel's query. :unsure::huh:

My thoughts exactly, hrzt.

Whether it's Toisanese or Shanghainese, I couldn't say...but that was how my Toisanese cook made war-teep - broth added, cover, boiled away, then browned.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I'll chime in and say ditto to you, hrzt, as well!

The 'liquid boiled off' method was the one I was taught too. I'm not sure where it's from as I was taught this by my mum who, although being from Heilongjiang, has learnt most of her cooking from Shandong and Hongkong people.

You can get generically named 'Zhengjiao' 蒸餃 in some parts of China I've been to. I had some lovely ones in Xian which they nicknamed 'dragon's eyes (like the fruit)' if I recall that right (a few years ago now!).

I learned that when eating "Jiaozi" it best authentically enjoyed with a Chopped Garlic, Vinegar, Cilantro, Sesame Oil and Dark Soy mixture for dipping. In Hong Kong the ladies also would enjoy individual cloves of Garlic together with each Boiled/Steamed Dumpling.

In Seattle we are fortunate to have a newly opened Restaurant making fresh to order Dumplings/Jiaozi called "Fu Man Dumpling House" that taste almost as good as home made. They also prepare a Chinese Pork, or Beef "Hamburger" type that's covered with a thin pastry skin and pan grilled that very enjoyable. 2 pieces are in each serving for only $4.25. The owners are from Northern China via Taiwan.

Hi Irwin! I've never had cilantro offered with Jiaozi - but it sounds nice! I think my family goes for chile sauce instead :raz: Have you had the really nice pickled whole garlic cloves with jiaozi? that's a nice combo too!

With the 'hamburger type', do they call it 'hezi'? 盒子? Is it made with two skins crimped around the flatten filling? If it is, GOSH! I envy you getting those at a restaurant!!! I find them hard to make but totally yummy! My mum used to call them 'sun' jiaozi, whereas the regular shaped ones were 'moon' jiaozi :smile:

BTW, I do think one crucial difference between jiaozi and guotie is in the skins. Because of the hot water dough, all the 'helpers' in my family had to reach a certain skill level before we were allowed to help make guotie...but even little kids were given lumps of jiaozi dough to play with. I was always told it was because the guotie dough was much more sticky to work with?!?!? Does that make sense?

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

I'll chime in and say ditto to you, hrzt, as well!

The 'liquid boiled off' method was the one I was taught too. I'm not sure where it's from as I was taught this by my mum who, although being from Heilongjiang, has learnt most of her cooking from Shandong and Hongkong people.

You can get generically named 'Zhengjiao' 蒸餃 in some parts of China I've been to. I had some lovely ones in Xian which they nicknamed 'dragon's eyes (like the fruit)' if I recall that right (a few years ago now!).

Hi Irwin! I've never had cilantro offered with Jiaozi - but it sounds nice! I think my family goes for chile sauce instead :raz: Have you had the really nice pickled whole garlic cloves with jiaozi? that's a nice combo too!

With the 'hamburger type', do they call it 'hezi'? 盒子? Is it made with two skins crimped around the flatten filling? If it is, GOSH! I envy you getting those at a restaurant!!! I find them hard to make but totally yummy! My mum used to call them 'sun' jiaozi, whereas the regular shaped ones were 'moon' jiaozi :smile:

BTW, I do think one crucial difference between jiaozi and guotie is in the skins. Because of the hot water dough, all the 'helpers' in my family had to reach a certain skill level before we were allowed to help make guotie...but even little kids were given lumps of jiaozi dough to play with. I was always told it was because the guotie dough was much more sticky to work with?!?!? Does that make sense?

Fengyi:

The family that owns the Restaurant are originally from "Shandong" then "Taiwan" and now "Seattle".

Hot Sauce condiments are always served table side at Restaurants as well as most homes. The dipping sauce is served with "Jiaozi" in Hong Kong and Seattle it comes with Cilantro. I also was served "whole fresh Garlic Cloves" on the side in Hong Kong and always at home. In Seattle it's also served with a multi-purpose dipping sauce that contains, "Soy, fine chopped garlic, ginger and some sugar" offered with most dumplings. Pickled Garlic sounds interesting, but I have never tried it with dumplings.

The "Hezi" you described seems very similar. I feel it takes skill to prepare correctly since every time that you take a bite delicious juices squirt out that are contained by the thin dough covering. I also enjoy a "Leek folded Pancake" that is habit forming and delicious.

Welcome to egullet, and keep on posting.

Irwin

...Then I read of a Shanghai way that doesn't brown them first. Just the oiled pan, the water, the cooking and then allowing the liquid to boil away so the browning can take place.

If you brown the potstickers first, then add water, the skin (wrapper) will get soggy/soft at the end. Let the water do the boiling/steaming first, then when the water all evaporates away (and the oil remains) you will have some nice, crispy brown skins. Most efficient.

But -- but ---- but-----

Mine ARE crispy when they are done! They are browned, watered, steamed, uncovered, and when the water has completely boiled off the pan becomes dry-- except for the remaining oil. You can hear the change in the pan as the bottoms recrisp. When I lift one and take a fingernail and tap a bottom ----- and it is like tapping a shell --- then they are ready. Flip/invert on a plate and there is a ring of crispy bottoms facing you!!

But -- but ---- but-----

Mine ARE crispy when they are done! They are browned, watered, steamed, uncovered, and when the water has completely boiled off the pan becomes dry-- except for the remaining oil.

Yup, you're right, Jo-Ann. Your way works just as well. Once the water boils off, the war-teep will crisp up in the oil that remains. Remember, hrzt, oil doesn't boil away like water. I have done them this way as well.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Wesza -- I agree. Those Leek Folded Pancakes (Jiu Cai Hezi 韭菜 盒子) are to die for. There is an Asian Supermarket with a hot food area near me. When I am there, if they have run out of those 'meals in a package' -- I feel cheated. They are soooo good!

• 3 weeks later...

But -- but ---- but-----

Mine ARE crispy when they are done! They are browned, watered, steamed, uncovered, and when the water has completely boiled off the pan becomes dry-- except for the remaining oil.

Yup, you're right, Jo-Ann. Your way works just as well. Once the water boils off, the war-teep will crisp up in the oil that remains. Remember, hrzt, oil doesn't boil away like water. I have done them this way as well.

There is a recently opened Restaurant in Seattle that prepares their "Jiaozi" in the traditional way by evaporating the water, then letting them brown in the oil remaining in the pan. They do taste better prepared this way and it's the only place I'm aware of that that does then correctly in Seattle.

The Chef Owner is from Toisan and advises that he welcomes special orders for authentic "Toisan Foods". It's a family business that's able to competently prepare Asian Fusion Cuisine since he has lived and worked in Vietnam, Thailand, Japan, China, Hong Kong but prefers cooking Toisan Style. He speaks English, as do most family members.

Restaurant name:

Chef Liao

6012 Phinney Avenue North

Seattle, Wa. 98103

Phone: 206-789-6441 or 206-789-1859

Hours: 11:30 AM - 9:30 PM

FREE DELIVERY- Limited Area orders over $15.00

I intend to order in advance "Whole Fish" Toisan Style

Oyster, Pork, Tofu Clay Pot

Salted Fish with Steamed Pork

and a order of "Yummy Yam Fish" that I tried recently:

White Fish stir fried with celery, carrots and sweet yams in special sauce. (it was delicious and innovative}

• 4 years later...

From what I've been reading here, the meat in the filling for jiaozi it's ground to a paste.

Today I tried the Hunan dumplings from Barbara Tropp's book. The recipe calles for hand cut meat or coarsely ground port butt. I got a neck with good fat grounded by the butcher but, in all honesty, I didn't like the filling much. I'm not sure if it's because I'm used to a different texture or I just found a lacking of seasoning.

It is just a Hunan thing to have a coarse texture?

Second question. In the recipe she didn't suggest to make a "belly" to the skin. I thought it was kind of the rule for home made jiao zi and also for pot stickers.

Ours were certainly not as pretty but we had a blast making our Asian Feast. Three kinds of dumplings from Nguyen's "Asian Dumplings" book and some necessary side dishes.

Hi Doodad, I'm reading very good reviews on the book, do you like it?

Nice meal

:smile:

BTW, here is a picture of the filling

IMG_8258.jpg

Considering it was my fist attempt I'm happy about how the dough turned out and the look, need to give it another try soon.

IMG_8268.jpg

IMG_8324.jpg

Ours were certainly not as pretty but we had a blast making our Asian Feast. Three kinds of dumplings from Nguyen's "Asian Dumplings" book and some necessary side dishes.

Hi Doodad, I'm reading very good reviews on the book, do you like it?

Nice meal

:smile:

BTW, here is a picture of the filling

IMG_8258.jpg

Considering it was my fist attempt I'm happy about how the dough turned out and the look, need to give it another try soon.

IMG_8268.jpg

IMG_8324.jpg

wow that's some very impressive pleating! I think the great thing about cooking at home is the experimentation and adjusting things to personal taste. Whilst I think the filling looks fine it might be worth testing out your theories next time you make them, you can always cook off a little of the stuffing to taste before filling. For myself I like the filling to be well seasoned - I think it needs it not to be lost in all that dough (but then I do generally like strong flavours). Browning the bottoms gives an extra sensory dimension that makes them tastier but is not essential.

wow that's some very impressive pleating! I think the great thing about cooking at home is the experimentation and adjusting things to personal taste. Whilst I think the filling looks fine it might be worth testing out your theories next time you make them, you can always cook off a little of the stuffing to taste before filling. For myself I like the filling to be well seasoned - I think it needs it not to be lost in all that dough (but then I do generally like strong flavours). Browning the bottoms gives an extra sensory dimension that makes them tastier but is not essential.

Thanks, Amy!

I also did some pot stickers, leaving the dough a little ticker. Nice crunch.

IMG_8329.jpg

I tried yesterday to make meatballs out of some pork I had left and I just got to the conclusion that I need another cut of pork or need to buy pork somewhere else, although it's a nice shop around here. Next time I'll try the filling first, I don't know why didn't come to me. Being a tired mum. Cheers

Franci, you might want to also check out this topic on dumplings.

Ironically just clicked on this topic and I'm making pot stickers for dinner tonight. I always make a ton and them freeze them (raw) to cook while still frozen. It makes for a darned quick meal.

Edited by snowangel (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

While we are on this topic, my daughter and I were inspired by the site "pimp my snack" to make a giant dumpling one day. We essentially made a meatloaf of dumpling filling and attempted to wrap it in a giant wrapper. Not very good and no pics, but it made a great meatloaf. :laugh:

Franci, you might want to also check out this topic on dumplings.

Ironically just clicked on this topic and I'm making pot stickers for dinner tonight. I always make a ton and them freeze them (raw) to cook while still frozen. It makes for a darned quick meal.

Thanks Snowangel! I got a little bit lost in that topic. So, I guess a major problem I might have had it's just a matter of fat. But if I recall correctly someone was saying that fat is more important in pot stickers (eh, eh, they seem to me already kind of fat on their own).

I might try to cut some lardo di colonnata into the ground pork. :biggrin:

the folding [in the pics] is rather good. i don't fold mine too neatly. these and these look like they're simply pressed shut.

(i boil mine in hotpot)

Folding for me it's easy. I'm Italian and used to closing italian ravioli.

Yours, even without the pleating, look very inviting.

What's your preference on the filling side?

I'm more proud of myself pleating baozi for the first time yesterday :wink: and my 2.5 years old son, although half shanghainese, said to me that he prefers italian ravioli :rolleyes: but steamed bread was a winner.

I had some amazing jiaozi yesterday from a local restaurant that specializes in different fillings. I tried two varieties - one with pork, mustard green and cilantro filling; another with chicken, ginger and pine nuts. The pine nuts ones were something I'd never tried before - surprisingly delicious.