• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BCLDB Wine Finds

James Kendal

In case anyone is still looking for the wine that JK recommended at the beginning of this thread:
Corona de Castilla Estilo 2003 (D.O. Ribera de Duero) SKU #329284 / UPC #812205002365
there is more to be had at the Jericho Village Liquor store.

Interesting though... the Innes & Gunn oak aged beer was all gone. Guess one does need to stock up before making recommendations :laugh:

For any of the items that may be out at the store that you are visiting, ask at the office in that store to print out an inventory list of where it may be available.

This will save you time and agony. In fact, I think you can do the same thing on your own computer. But be forwarned. It is 90% accurate, especially if it lists less than 3 bottles on the inventory list. And the inventory list is updated daily, not by the minute.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to rave about a wine I tried on the weekend.

HESTER CREEK - SELECTED BARREL CABERNET MERLOT 00/02

SKU #13920 / UPC #00626037003021

I think at $24.99 it's rather a bargain as I found it to be absolutely delicious. According to the label, only 600 cases were made, and my local LDB has like 5 bottles on the shelf. I'm not a wine geek, so all I can say about is YUMMMMMMMM. Juicy raspberry, well developed tannins, strong chocolate and coffee. Get it while you can!!

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have an amazing new wine selection that I picked up at Fort St. (Although, the Robert Parker notes and 93 point score nudged me to grab 6 bottles).

Keep your eye out for:

2003 Juan Gil

Jumilla, Spain

100% Monastrell (Mouvedre / Mataro).

I could give a dissertation on this wine but lets just say for the $24 it is absolutely amazing.

These are the details from the BCLDB:

JUMILLA - HIJOS DE JUAN GIL 2003

SKU #195859

Price: $24.99

Alcohol: 14.8 %

Region Quantity Available

Coast and Mountains 140

Lower Mainland 519

Lower Vancouver Island 42

Okanagan 74

The Islands 7

Edited by James Kendal (log)

Here's one of the best value reds that I have come across in the last few months.

TERRA ALTA CRIANZA - VINOS PINOL PORTAL 2003 $22.99 This wine is from the Terra Alta region close to the very famous and steller Priorato D.O. near Barcelona. It's made from a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Garnacha, Merlot, Tempranillo and Syrah with approximately a year in both French and American oak barriques.

Here are my notes of this gem: Ruby purple colour with aromas of allspice, mint, and eucalptus. It is full-bodied, concentrated, and with enough tannins for 2-4 years of cellaring. The palate mirrors the aromas but with the added complexity of cassis, chocolate, and wild raspberry flavours. Nice long finish and complex. Outstanding value considering many Priorato's are anywhere from 2 to 4 times the price. According to the LDB there are just over 125 cases in the agent's wherehouse and about 30 cases in circulation on the BCLDB website. BUY :smile::smile::smile:

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Keep your eye out for:

2003 Juan Gil

Jumilla, Spain

100% Monastrell (Mouvedre / Mataro).

Here's one of the best value reds that I have come across in the last few months.

TERRA ALTA CRIANZA - VINOS PINOL PORTAL 2003 $22.99

I'm excited as earlier this week I have picked up a bottle of each to try. Very sharp packaging on the Juan Gil Jumilla

In the mean time, I'm drinking way too much of this:

2003 Chateau Sainte Eulalie La Cantilene Minervois La Liviniere

serving it to guests at home and customers at work I've had 100% success with it

SKU #274597 / UPC #03548602001034

Product Information

Price: $24.99

Volume: 750 mL

Alcohol: 13.5 %

Sweetness: 00

Locality: Midi

Availability > Regions

Region Quantity Available

Lower Mainland 208

Lower Vancouver Island 51

The Islands 12

Thompson-Nicola 9

"In the mean time, I'm drinking way too much of this:

2003 Chateau Sainte Eulalie La Cantilene Minervois La Liviniere

serving it to guests at home and customers at work I've had 100% success with it"

Seems like a good price. I thought I saw the Cuvee Presitige at the SAQ for $15.35 (which is giving it away) but am not sure on the price of the La Cantilene there.

officially left egullet....

Just purchased a case of the Juan Gil at the Arbutus store. The person who found the wine for me (it wasn't in the Spain section but against a wall - who knew?) raved about it and said it was a wine one simply had to buy by the case. I did. Hope he's right - I need more wine like I need a hole in the head but I couldn't resist a raving BCLDB employee. :laugh:

Arbutus still has at least 3 cases left.

The Chateau Sainte Eulalie is only available at the Thurlow or Cambie/39th store - if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Karole

Thanks Marc,

Also, the 2003 Chateaux Pey de Tour is awesome for $17.

Ummmm.... is this actually Chateau Pey La Tour...... by chance?

I couldn’t find "de tour" listed in the LDB system.

CHATEAU PEY LA TOUR 2003

SKU #264986 / UPC #03258691161525

Price: $17.90

Alcohol: 12.5 %

Locality: Bordeaux

If so, I picked up a bottle this evening, along with it's counterpart (for a few bucks more):

CHATEAU PEY LA TOUR RESERVE DU CHATEAU 2003

SKU #442392 / UPC #03258691139753

Price: $24.90

Alcohol: 13 %

Locality: Bordeaux

P.S. Please note.... your mother was right, we do indeed hang on your every word...... :biggrin:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Just purchased a case of the Juan Gil at the Arbutus store. The person who found the wine for me (it wasn't in the Spain section but against a wall - who knew?) raved about it and said it was a wine one simply had to buy by the case. I did. Hope he's right - I need more wine like I need a hole in the head but I couldn't resist a raving BCLDB employee.  :laugh:

Arbutus still has at least 3 cases left.

Ah yes, thanks for reminding me. I served that wine at a catering function the other evening. I had never seen it before. Very earthy. It is the Monestral varietal, correct? Which is mouvedre in France?

I'm off in search of a few bottles.

Thanks again,

Shelora

I'm sure James meant the Pey La Tour. Previous vintages the wine was called Chateau de la Tour but a subsequent lawsuit forced the name change. I believe yet another name change is expected.

Thanks for the info Marc... I wonder what the lawsuit is about to keep prompting the name changes.

On topic... tried the original recommendation tonight with dinner and it was great. I'm going to have to pick up a few more bottles to tuck away.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

• 5 months later...

OUCH!

Just picked up a liquor order for the Aerie today and the Macallan 18 Year just went from $135 to $252 per bottle since the last time I bought a bottle. Did a price check on the web and found it in the states for $112.

One day we will have a free market : )

OUCH!

Just picked up a liquor order for the Aerie today and the Macallan 18 Year just went from $135 to $252 per bottle since the last time I bought a bottle. Did a price check on the web and found it in the states for $112.

$279.95 here in Ontario. I have seen it as low as $125 in Calgary but on average its around $160. I am sure you have friends in the city that can pick you up a few.

OUCH!

Wouldn't it be great if we could order our wine and spirits through whoever we wanted? Private collections for instance instead of having to use the BCLD for everything. Is it just wishful thinking?

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

OUCH!

Wouldn't it be great if we could order our wine and spirits through whoever we wanted? Private collections for instance instead of having to use the BCLD for everything. Is it just wishful thinking?

I thought there is a way for a private person to sell through the BCLD depending on the age of the wine. This is very old so I could be wrong. I thought it had to be 10 years or older?

OUCH!

I thought there is a way for a private person to sell through the BCLD depending on the age of the wine. This is very old so I could be wrong. I thought it had to be 10 years or older?

You can buy private collections as long as the taxes are paid on them to you know who!

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

• 1 month later...

Warning - this is a total rant on my part but really...

I was asked by my sister to pick up wine for her birthday party tonight. She needs 36 bottles of the red and 20 bottles of the white wine she has chosen. It's raining, it's not a fun day to be out in traffic so I decide to use the feature on the BC Liquor store website that tells you which store has the wine you want and what quantity is on hand at each store.

The 39th and Cambie has 52 bottles of the red so we head there. Silly us - for when we got there they only have 1 bottle in stock. When I asked the nice man at the information desk he told me that the website numbers are rarely updated. (The voices in my head are asking questions like "Why does the website tell you to search for the store with the product you want if they don't know what store has product?") The nice man asks us if we want to go to one store to get the wine or to several stores. Hmmm. Let me think about that for a few minutes. The nice man phones the store and asks them to hold the wine for us. Thanks very much and back in the car.

Off we go to the Broadway and Maple store. We stand at the customer service counter forlornly until the security guard takes pity on us and is able to locate someone in the back to help us. They have set aside 30 bottles - we want 36. I ask if we can get 36. His response is "That would take all our stock and we like to have 10 on the shelf." (Voices in my head refuse to be silent.) "Are you telling me I can't buy stock that is on the shelf?" "That would take all of our stock and there wouldn't be any left for anyone else." With that I got brave, walked over to the shelf and took the last 6 bottles. We paid and left without incident - but I wonder if I am now on some secret list of people who insensitively buy the last bottle of wine on the shelf. Wonder what the punishment is - banished from the government liquor store?

Where do I sign the petition to privatize the BC Liquor stores?

Cheers,

Karole

For all those interested:

BC Liquor Stores are releasing a special collection of premium British Columbia wines in selected government liquor stores on Sunday, Nov. 12, 2006.

This fall’s The Best of BC release brings together 27 premium Vintners Quality Alliance (VQA) wines that showcase some of the more spectacular vintages in recent years. These rare, sought-after British Columbia wines are produced in small quantities and have limited availability in the marketplace.

A special pre-release tasting of 10 of the wines is being held at the Four Seasons Hotel in Vancouver on Nov. 8, 2006. There are 85 tickets available for this event. Tickets are on sale now for $25 each and can be purchased at two Lower Mainland stores only (39th & Cambie, Park Royal).

The tasting panel for this event includes: Sandhill master winemaker Howard Soon, Cedar Creek proprietor Gordon Fitzpatrick, renowned Vancouver oenophile and wine writer Sid Cross and Stephen Schiedel from the BC Liquor Distribution Branch.

The Best of BC wines will be available beginning Nov. 12, 2006 at: 39th & Cambie (Vancouver), Park Royal (West Vancouver), Thurlow & Alberni (Vancouver), HighGate Village (Burnaby), Westwood Centre (Port Coquitlam), Nordel Crossing (Surrey), Fleetwood (Surrey), Abbotsford, Meadowtown (Pitt Meadows), Penticton Plaza, Columbia Place (Kamloops), Orchard Park (Kelowna), Fort Street (Victoria) and Westshore (Langford), while supplies last.

Buyers are advised to shop early to avoid disappointment. Limited quantities per customer will apply on all products.

Visit www.bcliquorstores.com to download a copy of the Best of BC brochure.

Gastronomista

They have set aside 30 bottles - we want 36. I ask if we can get 36. His response is "That would take all our stock and we like to have 10 on the shelf." (Voices in my head refuse to be silent.) "Are you telling me I can't buy stock that is on the shelf?" "That would take all of our stock and there wouldn't be any left for anyone else." With that I got brave, walked over to the shelf and took the last 6 bottles.

:laugh::laugh:

Thanks a lot Karole! I went to the Broadway Maple store today looking for 5 bottles of a red wine someone recommended to me (I think it was you!) and lo and behold there were only 4 on the shelf! Greedy greedy greed!!

Thank God the BCLDB is there to save us from buying too much!

A.

One thing that would help along the privatization battle would be for BC wineries to boycott the Liquor Board. BC wineries can sell direct, to your local PRIVATE store and to the VQA stores.

But then BC wineries would have to put way more $$$$ (prohibitive amounts I bet) into direct to consumer marketing instead reaping the benefit from being slotted into the BC section in hundreds of stores in the province versus the few private and VQA stores currently out there. For some this is not an issue but I suspect for many it will be. IMHO I think that BC wineries are some that benefit the most from the Liquor Board (the heavy provincial taxes on imports also help thanks to the fact that everything has to go through the Liquor Board which is likely to fall away with privatization as it has in Alberta).

I am not counting on the BC wineries making much of a difference to the plans of the Liquor Board.

BC wineries give up more % to sell to the Board. I can't fathom why Quails Gate et al would sell their reserve wines to the board.

The Liquor Board is going to continue to expand the BC selections and will fight for more allocation as this is one of the biggest areas for growth. Thank God the smaller concerns don't play with the big boy i.e. Kettle Valley, Blue Mountain, Laughing Stock etc. It's really only the wineries producing large amounts (more than 10,000 cases) that are giving in. Just my opinion.

P.S. still recovering from a recent trip to Maui where I was buying wines on restaurant lists that were on par with board prices : (

Further thought: if the BCLDB is not going to privatize then they should consider modifying the distribution system to allow for consignment like the LCBO. At a minimum we would see more interesting wines in the system and less corporate wines.