• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you find xxx

Jake

I get my duck fat from Cumbrae's. I can't remember the exact price though. I'm trying to remember where I got goose fat last time in Toronto.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I get my duck fat from Cumbrae's.  I can't remember the exact price though.  I'm trying to remember where I got goose fat last time in Toronto.

Last time I bought it, it was $2.99 for a 250 ml tub. Which is a heckuva lot cheaper than at Cheese Boutique, which also sells it.

For the duck legs, I always just buy whole ducks and break them down myself. It's almost never worth it to do otherwise, in my experience. The benefit is that you get some nice duck breasts as well, along with carcasses for making stock, and you can render some of the excess fat yourself.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

You can find reasonably priced duck legs at T&T supermarkets. A couple of the butchers at SLM other than Whitehouse often have duck fat as well. Cumbrae's as mentioned always does.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a place to buy magnetic induction burner? Not the cooktop, just a single burner type. I saw a store somehwere online but lost the link and I am unable to back track to the site. It says that it is around Weston Rd. near Eglington but I can't locate the address for my GPS to plot the destination. Got any addresses I can check out?

Thanks.

Does anyone know of a place to buy magnetic induction burner? Not the cooktop, just a single burner type. I saw a store somehwere online but lost the link and I am unable to back track to the site. It says that it is around Weston Rd. near Eglington but I can't locate the address for my GPS to plot the destination. Got any addresses I can check out?

Thanks.

I know I've seen them for sale at some of the big asian supermarkets on Burnhamthorpe in Mississauga, so I'd bet you'll find them at the big asian mall in Scarborough as well.

Thanks.

The last time I was in Nella's, I saw a couple there as well.

And Canadian Tire seems to carry one as well, but I don't know how good it is

Induction burner

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

It's nice if you can get an 1800 W induction hob.

I think that's what I saw at Nella's. It wasn't cheap though as I recall.

Marlene

I think that's what I saw at Nella's. It wasn't cheap though as I recall.

Someone told me that she saw some drop in and portable induction stoves in Barrie and the portable single burner goes for $700-$800.

Thanks for the heads up at Canadian Tire. Nella's in Mississauga is near by my place, I'll have a look see there as well.

• 3 months later...
Any sources for isomalt in retail quantities? I see that Qzina carries it, but it looks like they have it only in 25 kg bags, which is a lot more than I'd need. Thanks!

Qualifirst in Toronto has it in 1 kg bags.

Any sources for isomalt in retail quantities? I see that Qzina carries it, but it looks like they have it only in 25 kg bags, which is a lot more than I'd need. Thanks!

Thank you! I noticed that on their website recently. Do they have a retail storefront?

(In the end, I picked up some from Le Sanctuaire on a trip to San Francisco back in May. But I'm sure I'll need more eventually!)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Thank you! I noticed that on their website recently. Do they have a retail storefront?

(In the end, I picked up some from Le Sanctuaire on a trip to San Francisco back in May. But I'm sure I'll need more eventually!)

No real storefront, but you can order stuff and pick it up there.

• 2 weeks later...

There are single burner counter top inductions from 1400 to 2200 watts on eBay, usually from 'Buy it Now' vendors. Some are in the U.S., some overseas, and a few in Markham.

Prices are quite low, in the $100 range. I don't know if they are UL or CSA approved, but I am going to try a 2200 watt model soon, after I get a second 220 volt outlet installed. Reports on the 110 volt models haven't been too favorable; lack of power etc.

• 2 months later...

Anybody know where you can buy salted anchovies. I used to be able to buy them from Italian/Portugese family markets on St. Clair, East of Oakwood and before that on College Street West but no more. You know the ones found in the large open tin sitting on the butchers counter - yummy. All I can find now are the horrible anchovies packed in oil in small tins found in supermarkets everywhere and revolting to eat after you have had the real thing. Not that the salted ones here even approach the ones available in Europe. I have this craving...

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

• 1 month later...

Any updates on the best place to find ingredients for Mexican cuisine? I know you can source some ingredients in the Kensington Market but are there other places and can anyone say exactly where in the Kensington Market is the best?

Another eG member (Kerry Beal) and I are on a mission. :biggrin: We would be prepared to go anywhere in the Hamilton-Toronto corridor.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Any updates on the best place to find ingredients for Mexican cuisine?  I know you can source some ingredients in the Kensington Market but are there other places and can anyone say exactly where in the Kensington Market is the best?

Another eG member (Kerry Beal) and I are on a mission. :biggrin: We would be prepared to go anywhere in the Hamilton-Toronto corridor.

What are you looking for? There is one Mexican little market in Kensington where I've bought some items. I dont know the name, but its not too far down from the bakery ( IIRC).

Any updates on the best place to find ingredients for Mexican cuisine?  I know you can source some ingredients in the Kensington Market but are there other places and can anyone say exactly where in the Kensington Market is the best?

What are you looking for? There is one Mexican little market in Kensington where I've bought some items. I dont know the name, but its not too far down from the bakery ( IIRC).

The usual suspects: a variety of dried chilis, Mexican herbs and spices, a tortilla press, etc.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Go to Perola in Kensington Market - lots of dried chiles to choose from and lots of herbs (like epazote) as well.

THANK YOU!

My 2004 eG Blog

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have seen it frozen at Arz before, so you should be able to get it....

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

• 5 months later...

Confectionery partner, Barbara, and I are off to Toronto fairly soon and want to know where to buy confectionery supplies: chocolate couverture, Mycryo, chocolate moulds & stencils, hard candy moulds, caramel rulers, aluminum baking pans, in essence all things you can't buy in a small city like Peterborough (or as we call it, Peterpatch :raz:)

Oh, add the Perfect Brownie pan if you know where to buy one. I've tried: Michael's, HomeSense, Home Outfitters, Sears. I'd like two for moulds for toffee. I know Target has them in the USA.

We don't intend to buy all the above...we just want to know where to buy them and neither of us knows Toronto.

Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Confectionery partner, Barbara, and I are off to Toronto fairly soon and want to know where to buy confectionery supplies: chocolate couverture, Mycryo, chocolate moulds & stencils, hard candy moulds, caramel rulers, aluminum baking pans, in essence all things you can't buy in a small city like Peterborough (or as we call it, Peterpatch :raz:)

Oh, add the Perfect Brownie pan if you know where to buy one. I've tried: Michael's, HomeSense, Home Outfitters, Sears. I'd like two for moulds for toffee. I know Target has them in the USA.

We don't intend to buy all the above...we just want to know where to buy them and neither of us knows Toronto.

Thanks. :smile:

McCalls would be a good place to start.

Phoned McCall's...got a teenager...don't phone on a Saturday. It seems the difference between wholesale and retail is a $25 yearly membership, but the girl assured me it was well worth it.

Thanks for starting us out, Kerry.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.