• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you find xxx

Jake

• 1 month later...

I've just been looking at the Curing olives thread, and it sounds like something I might like to try. Can anyone suggest a source for fresh, uncured olives in Toronto? I imagine I could probably mail order, but I'd like to be able to look at them before I buy, so a physical store would be preferable. Thanks!

While I'm at it, if anyone knows where I can buy some quinces in the city, that'd be great too!

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I've just been looking at the Curing olives thread, and it sounds like something I might like to try. Can anyone suggest a source for fresh, uncured olives in Toronto? I imagine I could probably mail order, but I'd like to be able to look at them before I buy, so a physical store would be preferable. Thanks!

I don't know a source, but I have to ask if you want green or ripe olives.

I wouldn't go near green olives, because they are so bitter and need to be lye-treated to become brine-worthy. What do you have in mind (I know the answer will be interesting :laugh: ?)

I wouldn't go near green olives, because they are so bitter and need to be lye-treated to become brine-worthy. What do you have in mind (I know the answer will be interesting :laugh: ?)

I've never done it before, so I'm not sure if I want green ones or ripe ones. I was planning on following the process in The Olive and the Caper by Susanna Hoffman (basically curing for 3 to 4 weeks in a strong brine), and she doesn't specify green or ripe.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I've never done it before, so I'm not sure if I want green ones or ripe ones. I was planning on following the process in The Olive and the Caper by Susanna Hoffman (basically curing for 3 to 4 weeks in a strong brine), and she doesn't specify green or ripe.

After I smelled lye in a jar of green olives, I have generally stayed with black olives.

After I smelled lye in a jar of green olives, I have generally stayed with black olives.

But do green olives have to be cured with lye? Again, I'm only going on one source here, but Hoffman lists five cures for olives (brine, dry salt, oil, water and lye), noting that Greeks don't use lye, since it strips much of the olives' flavour out. The way she describes them, she makes it sound like you can use any of the five on either green or black olives.

I guess the only thing for it is to find some and try it out! :biggrin:

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

But do green olives have to be cured with lye? Again, I'm only going on one source here, but Hoffman lists five cures for olives (brine, dry salt, oil, water and lye), noting that Greeks don't use lye, since it strips much of the olives' flavour out. The way she describes them, she makes it sound like you can use any of the five on either green or black olives.

I guess the only thing for it is to find some and try it out! :biggrin:

I'm sure you will look into this carefully, Matt., but in my limited experience, cheap brined green olives are more likely to smell of lye than more expensive ones, with herbs, garlic, and oil in the brine. As it was explained to me, lye is a good (expedient) way to rid the green olives of an extremely bitter taste.

Good luck, and let us know :rolleyes:

While I'm at it, if anyone knows where I can buy some quinces in the city, that'd be great too!

Longo's in Etobicoke(GTA) is selling fresh, uncured green olives by the case. Quince are also available there. I see no reason why the other Longo's locations wouldn't have the same produce?

Longo's in Etobicoke(GTA) is selling fresh, uncured green olives by the case. Quince are also available there. I see no reason why the other Longo's locations wouldn't have the same produce?

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Anyone know where to find chestnut flour in Toronto? Tried Puseteries with no luck. Thanks

You might try calling The Cheese Boutique. Kerry Beal and I were recently in this place and I came out thinking "if they don't have it, I don't need it" :laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anyone know where to find chestnut flour in Toronto? Tried Puseteries with no luck. Thanks

have you tried Rube's in the lower level of the south building at the St. Lawrence Market? He has all kinds of unusual flours and grains.

Does anyone know where to buy meringue powder (for use in Royal Icing) in Toronto?

Already looked in Cheese Boutique, Sobey's, No Frills, Valu-Mart - no luck.

Thanks.

McCall's. 3810 Bloor West at Kipling.

• 1 month later...
Someone told me of a grocery store in Toronto that sells only local Ontario products/produce - does anyone know where it is?

Mighty, a new store called Culinarium (http://www.culinarium.ca/) will be opening on Mt. Pleasant in the spring and will stock only local goods.

Fiesta Farms, on Christie between Dupont and Bloor, works directly with Ontario farmers and stocks many local products not seen in the major supermarkets.

• 1 month later...

I found it about a year ago in a health food store around Yonge & Lawrence. IIRC around $20 for a container of about a lb. But I went into several places and can't recall which one it was!

But try health food stores in general.

• 2 weeks later...

fyi, I just got a note from my sis that Culinarium is opening on the 26th of March. So, next week. Mt. Pleasant and Eg. Hmn. Jules and Celestin are just down the street. Not to mention il Gelateria. And Hollywood isn't far, (roll down Manor after making a dual bakery stop at Celestin/Jules).

http://www.culinarium.ca/

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

• 2 months later...

Does anybody know where to buy duck/goose fat (other than Whiteheads where it is priced out of this world) and fresh/frozen duck legs in Toronto or surround?

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

Does anybody know where to buy duck/goose fat (other than Whiteheads where it is priced out of this world) and fresh/frozen duck legs in Toronto or surround?

Longo's frequently carry fresh duck legs but not duck fat.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog